Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 469435 times)

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #450 on: July 11, 2007, 03:32:22 AM »
Hey All

Hope everyone is doing well and that recovery is is progressing.after training camp i was put on a practice roster and today i was officially put on the roster and will be starting on special teams and backup Running Back ..WOOOOOOOOOOT....im pretty excited for this ..the game is on Thursday at 7pm we play the Calgary Stampeders. should be a good game.

i wanted to ask everyone something......has anyone tried electrode accupuncture before? not sure if thts the proper name but an accupuncture therapist puts the needles in your muscles and connects electrodes to them and precisely stimulates the muscles which need to be stimulated.....i tired it on my EHL and Extensor Digitorum and Brevis muscles to see if i can start to wake up the toes and big toe in my foot. but when the therapist puts the needles in my leg the hyper sensitivity of the nerve send my leg into spasms and its very uncomfortable.....wonder if this method is worth taking the pain for and if anyone has had positive results with any other muscles.

Also Max do you live in Calgary?if so we play there on the 21st next week sat ..if so there will be a ticket there for you ...let me know.

Take Care everyone
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #451 on: July 11, 2007, 04:38:09 AM »
Hey All

Hope everyone is doing well and that recovery is is progressing.after training camp i was put on a practice roster and today i was officially put on the roster and will be starting on special teams and backup Running Back ..WOOOOOOOOOOT....im pretty excited for this ..the game is on Thursday at 7pm we play the Calgary Stampeders. should be a good game.

i wanted to ask everyone something......has anyone tried electrode accupuncture before? not sure if thts the proper name but an accupuncture therapist puts the needles in your muscles and connects electrodes to them and precisely stimulates the muscles which need to be stimulated.....i tired it on my EHL and Extensor Digitorum and Brevis muscles to see if i can start to wake up the toes and big toe in my foot. but when the therapist puts the needles in my leg the hyper sensitivity of the nerve send my leg into spasms and its very uncomfortable.....wonder if this method is worth taking the pain for and if anyone has had positive results with any other muscles.

Also Max do you live in Calgary?if so we play there on the 21st next week sat ..if so there will be a ticket there for you ...let me know.

Take Care everyone

Hey Andre  :)  Glad to hear you are back at doing what you love.

I don't think it's the exact same thing, but my daughter's therapist said that the point stimulator he uses on her leg is similar to "acupuncture without needles."  We've been getting the therapy twice a week, at least until our insurance referral runs out.   ::)

Also, if you've seen my recent posts, my daughter now complains of pain during her EMS therapy and her PT says that is another symptom of the nerve recovering...  I seem to remember you mentioning something similar, about how you were able to "bring on the dragons" by stimulating your leg...?

Also, have you done any vitamin therapy?
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #452 on: July 11, 2007, 08:37:51 PM »
Hey Mom444

Ya i could and still activate the Dragons on the muscle stim...and is partially the reason why i am holding back from this accupuncture therapy. i know pain is good and the fact that the nerve is still in recovery mode and giving off the Dragons is good...but i still don't want to fight pain if positive results dont out way the uncomfortable pain.

i haven't done vitamin therapy before ...but i did see our sports Doctor and while i was in rehab he would check my blood once Monthly to find out what vitamins nutrients i needed/didn't need to put me in the best position to maximize my chance of healing...he called it a basic top up.kinda like servicing your car. if i was low in iron,b12,calcium,etc...i would get an I.V with the necessary nutrients and amount i should be at.and i would have to maintain it by eating well and staying active.

Any developments in movement with your daughter's foot?
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #453 on: July 12, 2007, 11:33:59 AM »
Hey Andre,

Well done mate, I am so chuffed for you. Good luck! It is not on live here but they are showing the game in full tomorrow afternoon so will watch it then.

Things with me are going well and I am increasing the running and speed. Go for my first EMG test on Monday and hoping for a positive test and I expect a positive test result. I am getting some outward movement in my foot but no dorsiflexion yet but I can feel the tendon firing at the front of my ankle so don't think it is far away.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline NEWFIE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #454 on: July 12, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any input you all can give me! I am a 38 year old male and I sustained an injury to my peroneal nerve. I race motorcycles professionally and in may I crashed at very high speed(approx. 180KMH). I sustained acl, pcl, mcl, and a broken peroneal nerve in the crash. The ortho in Halifax,NS did the repair on the acl,pcl,mcl and did a tibia plateau 1 week after the crash. 2 weeks after the crash the plastic surgeon in Halifax harvested the sural nerve in my leg, disected the damaged part of the peroneal nerve and grafted a 10cm piece of the harvested nerve into my peroneal nerve along the underside of my knee. I have foot drop and I am very concerned! The doctors aren't giving me much to go on but I don't think they would have done the surgery if they did'nt think they had a chance to save the nerve. Have any of you, or know of anyone that has had a successful story with the same type of injury??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #455 on: July 12, 2007, 06:25:48 PM »
If you hate wearing an AFO in 30 degree (around 90 F) heat please raise your hand!

Hi Everyone,

I'm just checking in, sorry I haven't been around lately, work has been crazy, but I check the forum evryday hoping someone has some good news.  Today I have no real progress to share; no dorsi-flexion yet but hope lingers that maybe next summer I'll be OK.  Andre, I'm so glad to hear you made the roster, I'll be watching the game tonight to hopefully catch a glimpse, maybe even see you touch the pig skin a bit.  I know you probably won't see this before the game but in any event know that we're behind you and take that strength to break a few tackles.  I have tried that electrode acupuncture and you're right it hurts like hell, I too have had little success with it so I think it's a matter of cost vs benefit.  I quit doing it for now but am hoping when I have signs of flexion I'll start it up again hoping it'll stim the muscles into gearing up.  I do live in Calgary and would definitely come to the stadium to watch, but no pressure to get me any tickets I'd do it on my own dime too.

NEWFIE, welcome to the forum, unfortunately I have no success stories for you, I know that the nerve transfer is about 33% successful so there is hope, never give up.  I know I've read a couple of stricles on the same surgery you endured.  One who had the same type of injury (severed nerve) had a tendon transfer, and it may be an option for you down the road... quoted...

"I recently had a tendon transfer surgery to fix a foot drop to my right foot. I had the surgery...as my nerve was severed durring an ACL reconstruction surgery resulting in my dropped foot and finally now after 2 years I have movement back. They did an awesome job at the Institute within 3 months i was walking almost normal. I am a 19 year old attending college and it has made my life so much better. So for anyone is doubting the surgery it really does work."

So don't give up on being 'normal' again one day. There's another few articles if you Google the same affliction.

Mom - I have the same pain when I'm doing the electronic therapy and I am hopeful that the pain is a good thing.  The physio therapist says that one of the first things to return is the sensory part of the nerve, so if it's increasingly sensitive maybe thats a good thing.  Lets pray.

Hamish - Big EMG coming up eh?  Well I'm sending some positive energy your way and am hoping it'll drum up some good news for you, I'm sure it will.  I'm still looking into that AFO I posted about awhile back and am hoping I can get it made and tried here in Calgary Canada.

Everyone else that suffers from a floppy foot, I hope it comes around; Jackie & Gordon, lets feed off each other and hope by Christmas we can wrap the AFO's up and give them to someone else.

Thnking of you guys,
-Max-

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #456 on: July 13, 2007, 05:06:50 AM »
Andre- way to go on the touchdown bud! i just saw it on TSN. You are awesome, a true inspiration. when i get back to Edmonton in august i will have to come watch the Agros play the eskimos at Commonwealth stadium.

Newfie- welcome to the forum. What are the odds of two newfies being on this forum?lol. I am also from the rock. I have found that doctors have not been the best source for positive feedback, but it is out there. This forum is a great place to get it my friend. People do recover  from injurys such as yours but it will not happen over night. Stay positive and work hard and take it day by day. Are you currently on the rock? A good physio therapist will make a big difference. If you are in Newfoundland i have found a really good one.

I have some very positive news to report my tib ants are finally showing some signs of life. Very Faint but its there. I still cannot dorsiflex but last week at physio my PT did an assesment and told me he could feel something when i tried to pull up my foot. He did it again and again just to make sure it was me doing it and not a normal relex. He told me i had a grade 1. Then this week he said it felt stronger to him and he did not need to double check then he got me to really try to dorsiflex and got down to check for movement and he said he saw a flicker. he said there was definate movement, very very slight but it ws there He was pretty excited and told me that me made a mistake the week before and that is was actually a grade 2. So hopefully it is starting to come back.

Max- I totally hear you i hate wearing an AFO this time of year. I am kinda glad to be in Newfoundland in that regard. It does not as warm here as it does in the rest of the country. Especially when compaired to Calgary. I ordered a foot up that should be here soon hopefully it will work for me.

Hamish- good job on the running, it must feel pretty darn good ill bet. Good for you keep up the good work and i hope your right about the feeling your getting and it comes back soon. Good luck on your EMG. Im hoping you get some positive news.

I hope everyone else is doing well and staying strong.

All the Best!
Gordon

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #457 on: July 13, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Andre you are awesome! Watched it last night (yes we can get it in Scotland) and I was so excited when you came on, but first touch of the ball. You are not going to spend time teasing people are you just BANG! there you go.

NEWFEE. Hang in there and be positive. I feel it is always the way that doctors always give the most catious prognosis and that is certainly my experience. It will take time so work hard on your rehab for your knee to get that right first.

Gordon. Way to go with the recovery, it sounds very positive and I feel I am at about the same stage and quite excited about my EMG on Monday.

Max. No problems here with wearing the AFO in hot weather for the simple fact we don't get hot weather. Lots of rain though and my AFO has got wet on a few occassions.

Just on another note I am beginning to think that Canadians must have some sort of genetic defect with a predisposition to peroneal nerve injury. How many of you are there. Last count there was Andre, Max, Gordon and now Newfee. Have I missed anyone?

Hope everyone is doing well and boosted by Andre's success.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline AmandaC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #458 on: July 15, 2007, 04:00:27 AM »
HI all and welcome Newfie.
Sounds ike there is some exciting things happening for many of you, Gordon you are making awesome progress, Hamish best of luck for tomorrow I am sure you are going to have some exciting news for us all.

Max I have some questions for you about your hip resurfacing.  I broke the acetabilum (hip joint) as well as my pelvis in several places.  I am having alot of trouble with pain in my hip and limited movement in my hip which is stopping me from riding horses again and as I say giving me a lot of pain.  Since you had the hip resurfacing operation do you have full range of movement back?  Were you given any idea of how long it would last?  Thanks heaps

No news from me on the nerve front, 10 months now and thinking that nothing is going to improve for me now.

Anyway will keep hoping and working
Amanda

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #459 on: July 15, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »
Hi Amanda, (and everyone else)

I'm going to explain my surgeries to you just so you have a frame of reference.  October 1st, 2005 I too fractured my acetabulum (I'm not sure if I told you that) and they attempted a restructuring first; that is, they tried to put the broken pieces back together with plates and screws.  They also tried a new surgery whereby the surgeron cut off my greater trochanter, then fixed the acetabulum, then put the trochanter back on with 4 inch screws.  After 12 weeks of non-weight bearing I was able to put weight on it (January 1st, 2006) and started heavy on the physio.  Weeks and weeks went by and I wasn't getting better, in fact things got more painful and at one point the pain was so bad while walking my dog it made me cry.  Range of motion was minimum.  Finally, I had an appointment with my surgeon on May 17th, 2006.  He looked at the x-ray and was amazed I was even upright.  Apparently I had managed to not only break all the screws and bend the plates I fractured the acetabulum again and half of it had dissolved in my blood; the hip was dislocated and had been for quite sometime.  He wondered how long I was in pain, I advised him the pain never went away.  At that point he told me that he would have to get bone from the bone bank to restructure my pelvis and acetabulum with someonele's bone.  He further stated that he would try to do a Birmingham resurfacing but he could make no promises as he wouldn't be able to make that decision until he went in and saw what he had to deal with he may have to do a Total Hip Replacement (THR).  June 20th, 2006 I had the surgery.  Luckily, he did the Birmingham and I'm glad he did.  The only downside is that I have the drop foot (13 months now), he doesn't know why I have it, no surgeron does.  My range of motion is really good, not 100% of where it was but enough to enjoy every activity I did before the injury (except for what the disappointing drop foot limits me to).  I stradle chairs and swing my leg around with little difficulty so I imagine riding a horse would be comfortable, I wouldn't hestiate if I had a horse.  The lifespan of the resurfaced hip will apparently last a lifetime, that is, they advised they will have to keep an eye on it but I was not given a definate time frame.  Apparantly a THR is about 15-20 years, this could last three times as long.  I'm glad I did it, I'm 36 and if it wasn't for the palsy I would be running triathlons again.   The THR would've put an end to everyting physical in my life as there's limits to range of motion, crossing legs and bending hips past 90 degrees.  Birmingham has no such restrictions.

Now about your drop foot.  I've read several articles concerning injuries like ours and many (about 75%) have recovery anywhere from 12 to 36 months so waving the white flag at 10 months is unacceptable.  You stay hopeful, believe you're going to get better and just maybe you will.  You give up on recovery and recovery will gve up on you.

That's all I got to say about that,
-Max-

Sorry about he length of this note but I thought you may recognize some of the things I went through and you could learn from what I've been dealing with.

Offline NEWFIE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2007, 01:23:10 PM »
Hello all,

I will start with saying I am very happy with finding a forum that has so many positive stories instead of all the "doom and gloom" stories that I read on other forums which of course brought my spirits down very low. I am now on page 14 of this thread and I am already uplifted by you stories so everybody please keep up the good work!

After my crash, I lay in a hospital two days later with a broken thumb, colar bone, ribs, cracked schaphoid, blown out knee with of course the dreaded foot drop and then to add to that a doctor tells me I probably won't walk again which totally blew me away. Well I didn't know where to turn! Since then I have gone through 2 surgeries to put the knee back together(May 17/2007) and a peroneal nerve graft(May 23/2007). I am now a little more then 7 weeks post op and I am getting alot of tinel sensation in my foot when I tap on the nerve around the knee where they did the nerve graft. The doctors are saying that is a very good sign because it tells them that the nerve sheath is in tack and NO MORE BROKEN WIRE!

I am not a "can't do" type of person but I am a "CAN DO" person and I am going to walk, and I am going to get rid of this foot drop with alot of faith in god and alot of hard work. Just this past week I started with the aid of my PT to bear weight on my leg and were up to 80 degrees flexion with the knee.

If there are any different things I can try to get this nerve working such as foods, excersises, or therapies I can try please let me know!

PS. This is one way I will learn to have patients!

Offline AmandaC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #461 on: July 16, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
Max, thanks for all that info and your words of encouragement.  I have not given up hope or rehab and am still working hard but I have to move on with my life and to do that I have found I have to be happy with what I have and who I am and if I get soemthing back with the foot great but I have come to terms with the possibility of this been permanent.  I will continue to work hard and intend to investiage the tendon transfer operation say 18 months down the track.  Some exciting news is my husband and I have decided to try for our second child soon, I kept thinking I couldn't have another one until I was over this foot drop etc etc but im not going to let it stop me, I think planning the rest of our life will be good to start living for the future not for the day of my accident.  Its going to be hard work but I can cope (not looking forward to another operation, has to be a c section delivery).

Newfie  -  Yes you are going to have to be very very patient, but you are young and fit so have very good chance of recovering from this.  Dont let them tell you that you cant walk again, be strong and you can do it.  Best of luck

Hamish - waiting eagerly for your results.

Mom - Hope all is well with you and your darling little girl.

Thinking of you and hoping for good things to happen for us all.
Amanda

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #462 on: July 16, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »
My foot has moved  :o

Just back from my EMG test and everything is very positive. Before the test the doctor asked me to dorsiflex my foot and there was a movement. It was only probably about a millimetre but it did move and that is the first time I have had a movement since the injury. He then went on to send electric shocks through my muscles and then stick needles in (not nice but didn't cry) and yes messages are getting through. So there has been regeneration and it is just a matter of time and work to get back movement. There is no guarantee of how much movement will return.

Amanda. It will be 11 months next week since my injury and that is me just getting a flicker of movement now and the point of injury was at my knee. I know it is not a very comforting timescale but your injury was Hip/pelvis and the length of the nerve to regenerate is longer and therefore will take longer. Keep your head up.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Happy Hamish  ;D
Footdrop

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #463 on: July 16, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
Hamish, - I am very happy for you, that is very positive news. I have another EMG at the end of this month hopefully i will get some positive news. But i have lost alot of faith in the neurologist im seeing so i dont really care if the news is not positive. How much of your nerve did they tell you was damaged?

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #464 on: July 16, 2007, 09:19:49 PM »
Hi Gordon,

When the surgeon explained the damage to me after my initial opertion back in September I think he said there was about 5cm where the nerve had been stretched to almost breaking point in places.

Hamish
Footdrop

support