Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 469446 times)

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2007, 04:39:28 AM »
Hi All,

I too am just checking in.  Nice to see everyone still keeping in touch.   I had an appointment with the neurosurgeon that did my nerve clean up a few months back.  He wasn't surprised by my lack of progression in fact he said it'll take up to two years sometimes sooner, sometimes later.  We also talked about the tendon transfer that Amanda mentioned.  My inversion continues to improve and is now rated at a grade 3.  Apparently to do the transfer you have to be at a grade 4 so Amanada, perhaps see what your inversion strength is and see if you're a candidate.  For those with complete foot drop it's not an option.  What they do is take the tendon that turns the foot inwards, split it and put half on top of the foot.  The success rate is good and those that have had it declare it works.  The bad thing is that it has to be strong and practically undamaged for it to be a 100% success, therefore, if you have no or weak inversion right now you won't qualify  thats not to say that as it strengthens you obviously will.  The surgeon and I remain 'cautiously optomisitic' as there are signs that it is recovering but, as we all know, at a snails pace.

Jackie - hang in there, we've all been throught the tough stuff too and we know what you're going through.  The worst is over and things will only get better; stay strong.

Andre - Dude, you're doing awesome, love to see the highlights.  Keep the spirit alive and break a few tackles for us. 

Hamish - like you my inward outward movement seems to be imporving but no dorsiflexion yet, I'm praying one of thse days.

Gordon - Keep working dude, good to hear from you every so often. 

Mom - I too am in that conundrum of whether or not to get acupuncture etc right now as I'm not seeing any progression and am thinking I might just wait until I can wiggle something.

I hope everyone read that article I posted, if not I'll attach it again.  I had mentioned it was for hip/pelvis damage but I was wrong it appears it would be more for those of you with knee injuries; have a look and maybe dicuss it with your doctor next time you see him.  The success rate is too good to pass up if you have the opportunity.

In any event, keep in touch guys and have a great week.     
-Max-

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/6/863

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2007, 04:43:48 AM »
Hi All,

I too am just checking in.  Nice to see everyone still keeping in touch.   I had an appointment with the neurosurgeon that did my nerve clean up a few months back.  He wasn't surprised by my lack of progression in fact he said it'll take up to two years sometimes sooner, sometimes later.  We also talked about the tendon transfer that Amanda mentioned.  My inversion continues to improve and is now rated at a grade 3.  Apparently to do the transfer you have to be at a grade 4 so Amanada, perhaps see what your inversion strength is and see if you're a candidate.  For those with complete foot drop it's not an option.  What they do is take the tendon that turns the foot inwards, split it and put half on top of the foot.  The success rate is good and those that have had it declare it works.  The bad thing is that it has to be strong and practically undamaged for it to be a 100% success, therefore, if you have no or weak inversion right now you won't qualify  thats not to say that as it strengthens you obviously will.  The surgeon and I remain 'cautiously optomisitic' as there are signs that it is recovering but, as we all know, at a snails pace.

Jackie - hang in there, we've all been throught the tough stuff too and we know what you're going through.  The worst is over and things will only get better; stay strong.

Andre - Dude, you're doing awesome, love to see the highlights.  Keep the spirit alive and break a few tackles for us. 

Hamish - like you my inward outward movement seems to be imporving but no dorsiflexion yet, I'm praying one of thse days.

Gordon - Keep working dude, good to hear from you every so often. 

Mom - I too am in that conundrum of whether or not to get acupuncture etc right now as I'm not seeing any progression and am thinking I might just wait until I can wiggle something.

I hope everyone read that article I posted, if not I'll attach it again.  I had mentioned it was for hip/pelvis damage but I was wrong it appears it would be more for those of you with knee injuries; have a look and maybe dicuss it with your doctor next time you see him.  The success rate is too good to pass up if you have the opportunity.

In any event, keep in touch guys and have a great week.     
-Max-

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/6/863

Hi Max,

Hope things are looking up for you.  I'm glad to see that your neurosurgeon gave a year's plus time frame for recovery.  Next month my daughter will be four years old and it will have been a year since her surgery.  She has made some improvement as shown by her EMGs but still cannot dorsiflex her foot.  Her surgeon originally gave a year time limit but then recanted and said that things may in fact improve after a year.

Also, I have read the complete article in the link that you posted.  (You need to access the full text through a subscription database.)  I'll PM you with a few more details.

I hope everyone else is well.  Keep hanging in there and keeping the faith!
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #437 on: June 25, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »
hello Everyone,
 Just wondering how everyone is progressing?

mom- has your little girl gotten any more movement back?

Tommorow will be six months to the day since my injury. Still woring hard and trying to stay positive. Hope you all are doing well!

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #438 on: June 25, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
Hey Gordon,

Tomorrow will be 10 months to the day since my injury! What time of day did your happen? Mine was 7.30pm. Things with me are going pretty well and I started a little bit of jogging last week so it was a bit of a milestone. Not much mind you just up and down the corridor at PT but it went pretty well. It wasn't a perfect jog as my foot was searching for the floor a bit and I wasn't planting my foot the same as the good side but it will come I'm sure. Knee is pretty good and getting stronger all the time. Where are you with your flexion? have you got it all back. I am geting about 130 or maybe a little more but not the whole way that I just about managed pre ACLr.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2007, 04:33:04 AM »
hello Everyone,
 Just wondering how everyone is progressing?

mom- has your little girl gotten any more movement back?

Tommorow will be six months to the day since my injury. Still woring hard and trying to stay positive. Hope you all are doing well!

Thanks for asking Gord  :)

Well, we are back in PT, going broke paying the copays, but back.  Her therapist said that he is definitely getting more muscle contractions when he uses the point stimulator on her leg.  He says that includes the tibialis anterior.  As of yet still no obvious dorsiflexion, but occasional movement from the big toe.  She will not try to move the toe on command or try to move the foot...  It is very hard to get a feisty four year old to be cooperative!   ::)

Therapist also suggested vitamin B supplements because those are supposed to help in nerve recovery.  I was worried about finding something that could easily be given to a four year old seeing as how swallowing large pills would not work.  I was almost going to do an online search for chewable B complex pills but instead I found some LIQUID B complex at a health food store.  You simply drop some into her juice and she takes it that way.  She now reminds me to put her "leg vitamins" in her juice  :)

The therapist also does heat therapy and ultrasound therapy...  We can't do any more involved exercises until dorsiflexion returns.

Have any of you tried the following therapies or had your therapist use them or suggest them?

--Heat therapy?
--Ulrasound?
--Point stimulator?
--Vitamin therapy?

By the way, we have pretty much given up on active scar treatment methods, as the scar seems to be a non issue now.

Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:10 AM »
Toronto Argos 22 - 24 BC Lions

Toronto Argos first game was last night and unfortunately they lost. Watched the first half but not the second as it was on pretty late here but recorded it and will watch today. Not sure if Andre got a run or not. There was an amazing 129yd missed field goal return by one of the Argos players.

Things with me are going pretty well and I have stepped up the speed in the running and almost doing short sprints and the knee feels good. My accelaration stage is pretty good but the problems come when I decelarate as my foot plant is a little unsure and my foot seems to be almost searching for the floor. I am wearing the foot up brace when doing this but am going to try the AFO to see if it makes any difference. Andre did you have this problem.

Our rugby pre-season is just about to start and I have been doing a strength and conditioning course and am going to help as a fitness coach. Really looking forward to seeing the pain when all the guys are busting a gut and not me.  ;D I think I have had my fair share of pain!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hamish

Footdrop

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #441 on: July 02, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »
Hello All,

Well I am finally home - 7 weeks and 3 days later (I have so milked this!) - saw the surgeon today and he is pleased with the scar and rotation on the left leg.  The bone is showing signs of healing and suffiecient to be out of plaster as I have a plaster sore that is being very stubborn.  I have had an infection but that is subsiding although it was a bit touch and go on going home today but made it.  So I am well on my way - all the hard work now starts, I can start to do some knee bending.  I can start to touch toe and build up over the next few weeks to full weight bearing as the bone should be healed in another 7 to 10 days.   The staples will hold firm in any case.  I have been referred for physio so we start again on that little treat - oh what joy.  I am just so pleased I only have two legs and will never, ever, ever have another operation again (if I can possibly help it)  I clearly don't respond well to medical intervention and anesthetics are a real no no for me.  Now here's a question - have any of you had to use crutches when non weight bearing on your non foot drop foot - it is very difficult as the normal use of crutches have people hopping and that is somewhat difficult,  still I have some very well developed arm muscles (not a particularly good look on a lady!)
On the foot drop front = well no real change and starting to think maybe there will be no more, but I am managing with it well and it doesn't stop me doing too much.

So that is my update - sorry it has been so long.  You all take good care and I will continue to follow your progress, highs and lows. 
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #442 on: July 03, 2007, 03:23:03 AM »
Welcome back Jacky  :)  I was getting a little worried when I didn't hear from you for so long.  Glad to see you are slowly getting better.  We are all cheering you on!

My daughter is getting some more improvement bit by bit.  Her physical therapist says my daughter is getting muscle contractions further down the leg.   

Still occasional dragon pains.  Still no dorsiflexion yet.

Glad to hear you will not be needing any more surgeries.  We hope you take it easy, you are in our prayers.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:25:22 AM by mom444 »

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #443 on: July 04, 2007, 01:24:53 AM »
Hi Jacky,
Glad to here from you again! I hope you make a quick and full recovery from your latest surgery. I was just wondering if you still have to wear an AFO?  Sorry i have not had to use crutchs in that way. it must be  aliitle different i can imagine.

I am still doing my physio everyday. still no dorsiflexion. I havent gained any new evertion movement in a while either. It is getting pretty frustrating epesailly now that summer is here. All i want to do is go for a run or  go fishing and the things i used to do. Hopefully next summer will be much better.

Hamish that is great that you are running! 130 degrees is very good for flexion. Most people cannot do that when they have  a healthy knee.   

I hope everyone is doing well

Take care
Gordon

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #444 on: July 04, 2007, 07:17:19 AM »
Hello,

Thanks Mom for your prayers.

Gordon - I do still wear an AFO called a 'toe off' splint especially while non weightbearing and on crutches.  Just prior to the op I was padding around the house with no AFO as I preferred to flop about.  I have noticed that the foot has got lazy again being in bed for so long and always in a splint so a bit of work required there also.  Unfortunately the foot has been somewhat neglected with the other leg taking priority for a bit. 

I havent gained any new evertion movement in a while either. It is getting pretty frustrating epesailly now that summer is here. All i want to do is go for a run or go fishing and the things i used to do. Hopefully next summer will be much better.

I know the frustration but keep going - even with foot drop you will be able to go running again.  This summer will be OK too as you will continue to get stronger - both physically through physio and home exercises and mentally as you come to terms with foot drop and the very slow progress of it all.  Best wishes to you.

2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #445 on: July 06, 2007, 03:38:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

The date has finally come! I have a date for my nerve conductive and EMG test. Monday 16th July and I am a bit nervous to be honest. Other things are going well and quads and hamstrings are getting stronger all the time. I have started using free weights again to try and get my body back in shape and doing sqata as well but not really heavy weights.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2007, 05:22:17 AM »
Good luck with the EMG Hamish.  I hope and pray you get some signs of recovery.  I apologize if you have already mentioned this, but are you currently doing EMS treatment?

As for us, my daughter has recently been complaining of pain when we do her EMS treatment.  She says the stickers (electrodes) hurt and she often cries and says she wants us to take them off.  At first I thought she was just being a feisty little girl again but when I mentioned it to her physical therapist he said that there may be some increased sensitivity to the EMS electrodes as the nerve heals.  So, in other words, the pain is a good sign.  However, he instructed us not to let the pain stop us from continuing EMS treatment.

Have any of you who are doing or have done EMS experieced pain?

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »
Hi Mom,

No I have never used EMS treatment. I think it is somethig I may follow up on.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
Good luck with you EMG Hamish i hope you get some positive feedback!!

Hope everyone is continuing to work hard and remeber that everyday you are healing!

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #449 on: July 09, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
Just a reminder...

Take vitamin B complex vitamin supplements!  They are supposed to help nerve recovery.

support