Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 453016 times)

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #375 on: May 10, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »
Hi Amanda,

My nightsplint is called a Dorsiwedge and is quite bulky and when in bed never fits tightly. Although it is a pain to wear I have got used to it and it doesn't bother me much now and I know it is quite important to make sure your tendons don't shorten. Try and stick with it if you can.

As for the doctor I think he is talking bullshit and recovery is very possible as people on this thread have proven. My doctors and physios have always said to me that there is a chance of no recovery and I feel they say that to cover their backs so no false hope is given but speaking to other professionals not treating me give another more positive response and nerves do regenerate and recovery is very possible. Try and keep your head up and stay positive.

Mom444
Great news with the recovery, I am so pleased for you.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline AmandaC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2007, 12:58:57 AM »
Hello all               
Thanks for that info on Dorsiwedge the orthopedics guys are looking into it for me.
Went for my EMG last night, pereneal nerve showing no response at all, tibial nerve down the back working but shows significant damange as well.  Sciatic nerve at top is responding but very damanged and muscles extremely weak.  The nurologist is not hopeful of a recovery due the state of the nerve up top.  He wants to do another one in 9 months.

Not the news I was after but cant change it.
Hope you are all well
Amanda

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2007, 11:42:22 AM »
Hi Amanda,

Sounds like you are  pretty down after the tests but these tests are not definitive and Andre had tests come back negative on  couple of occassions and he made a recovery. Keep your head up and stay positive.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
Keep the faith Amanda!   :)

I also hope that things get better for you.  We have all learned that doctors are not always right and miracles do happen.

We had mixed messages with my daughter also, but her last EMG did show some improvement.

We had the follow up with the neurologist (I didn't go the appointment, that was the same doctor with whom I got in a fight!) 

The neurologist, who was also so negative, agreed there was improvement.

The dragon still comes now and then.  His last appearance was a week ago and she woke up in intense pain.

Amanda, I apologize if you already answered, but do you get "dragons" or nerve pain?  Remember, the pain can signal the pain from the initial injury but the pain can also signal recovery.

We'll keep you all in our prayers.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #379 on: May 19, 2007, 10:39:42 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just checking in, I've been busy at work these days so I haven't been around much.  No real news at this end, I haven't lost belief that my foot is about to wake up any day now.  The only real problem I'm having (besides the no-dorsi-felxion) is my big toe as it still gets quite sore and the fact that my AFO drives me simply mad.  Unfortunately I can't really walk without it, as we all know.  I wish there was something out there that felt and acted a bit more naturally; and I could wear my normal sized shoes too, I would buy it for a months wages ...

Mom - Keep up the good Mantra - your daughter needs it, and I hope you're getting a little sleep these days, rest is so important.  I know things will keep improving, they have to; soon you won't be able to catch her she'll be running so fast.

Amanda - Don't be fooled by these neurologists; some simply say these things because its so easy to say, they don't understand what you're going through and how strong the human body can be.  Look at the people that survive broken necks and others that survive terminal cancer.  It's amazing what the human body can do, as long as you believe.  The minute you give up hope is the minute things won't change for the better.  Our neurologists said the exact same thing to us too but we all believe things will get better.  Andre can attest as his doctors told him no hope, now he's sprinting as fast as guys who never had the injury.  As for the sciatic at the hip, I'm gong through the same thing and it may take longer for us but it'll come around, frustrating as it may be.   

Hamish - Keep up the good work buddy, you're doing great.
Jackie - Haven't heard how recovery is going, did everything go well?  I often wonder how you are.
Gordon - any progress?
Well guys, I'll sign off here, I think about everyone often and hope we'll all be dorsi-flexing soon.

-Max-

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »
Hi Max,

Have you seen the Foot-up (see link below). I got myself one of these to wear instead of the AFO. You can wear this with normal shoes as long as they are lace-up shoes. I alternate between using this and my AFO. The good thing is that it is a bit lower profile than the AFO but on the other hand it gives you a little less stability and you have to keep adjusting it as it can dig into your ankle a bit and you have to make sure the tongue in secure in your laces.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
Footdrop

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #382 on: May 21, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »
Hey Ham, good to hear from you.  I actually have a foot up already, I bought it before the AFO thinking that would be all I neded, but it just deosn't seem strong enough, the AFO seems to correct my gait whereas the foot up doesn't seem to give me enough dorsi-felxion and I end up hiking my hip a bit more.  I was hoping to use it when the dorsiflexion came back but was still weak (I hope that happens soon).  There's another AFO I'd like to try, I've attached the link, I'm hoping someone hear has heard whether or not its any good.  If you have please share your thoughts with me.  It appears that it will fit into your shoes a bit better...

http://www.worry-free.net/rothschildsorthopedics/foot-drop.html

Hope everyone is having a great weekend (It's a long weekend here in Canada, but do you believe it's snowing !!!!)

~Max~

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #383 on: May 21, 2007, 09:57:16 PM »
Hey Max,

That AFO looks great. I wonder how I can get one and how much one will cost. Looks far more trendy than the one I have. Yes I have found the foot-up is not much good for my normal shoes but works quite well in my trainers because the tongue fits well into the laces and far enough forward to give enough support.

Hamish

Footdrop

Offline AmandaC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #384 on: May 22, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »
Hi all
Hamish and Max have been reading your posts about braces etc, have either of you seen or used a Dorsi Strap, link below?  I to am finding it difficult to find good products.  I have a Dictus, think it is similar to the foot up you both have, is not practical at all for me, it wiggles down and cuts into my ankle and I walk like a total plonker in it, at least with my splint I only look like a half plonker the way I walk.  Hey Max you said that you can run, I have been trying and trying and just cant do it, my ankle aches after two steps and I pressure through my foot and ankle is terrible, I wonder if this is to do with having more nerve damage in the tibal nerve?  Do you run in your normal hinged splint?

Have had a few bad days after my EMG test results but am feeling a bit better and dragged my sorry back side to the gym again.  I went and watched friends riding in the weekend at a dressage competion, am starting to think about trying to ride again, I think if I was able to it would help me with my mental well being and would be good exercise for me.

Hamish and word on your EMG date yet?
Mom444 how is your little girl, and how are you doing, you make sure you look after yourself as this must have a huge impact on your health and general well being to.

j_smi001 Hope you operation went well, looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

http://x-strap.com/dorsi-strap.htm

Amanda

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2007, 04:34:17 AM »
Jacky,

If you are out there...  Just want you to know we are all thinking of you and hope you are well...

To Everyone,

We are still just hanging in there.  The dragon is taking a break, but I hope he returns because his presence means healing.

We need to get a new referral to go back to physical therapy.  (We're in the US and health insurance can be tricky.)

...And I wonder what the PT will have to say about moving forward with treatment now that the EMG shows more recovery.

The first PT we saw tried to stimulate the peroneal nerve to make the foot dorsiflex, but that was not possible six months ago... 

...I wonder if there has been enough recovery to make the foot dorsiflex with electrical stimulation.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
Jacky,

If you are out there...  Just want you to know we are all thinking of you and hope you are well...

To Everyone,

We are still just hanging in there.  The dragon is taking a break, but I hope he returns because his presence means healing.

We need to get a new referral to go back to physical therapy.  (We're in the US and health insurance can be tricky.)

...And I wonder what the PT will have to say about moving forward with treatment now that the EMG shows more recovery.

The first PT we saw tried to stimulate the peroneal nerve to make the foot dorsiflex, but that was not possible six months ago... 

...I wonder if there has been enough recovery to make the foot dorsiflex with electrical stimulation.

Hey Mom444

Just read your recent post and dont be discouraged if the stimlation doesnt dorsiflex your foot....mine barely does to this day with stimulation and it takes alot of wattage to do it. How r u by the way ? i hope things are going well and just by the sounds of things it seems they are with regards to the recovery process and all.

Jacky, How are you ? i read that you have gone under te knife again...good luck to you in surgery sorry i havent been around much but i send you a get better soon hug via air mail...lol

Hey Amanda....i just saw your post on aching while you run. where do you ache in the aknle itself or on the joint of the ankle where it connect to the Tibia? i ask only because i had problems trying to jog after my first surgery and i was compensating by plantar flexing or running on the balls of my feet this would take away from me having to dorsi flex...but ruined my running mechanics.

Max, how have you been ? how was your long weekend?

Hey Hamish  Hope tings are well with you ....how do you feel since your last surgery ? its been about 4-5 months now right?

Sorry again everyone.....for just dropping in and out ....im starting to feel like an outcast....cause ive been gone so much. after this month things should slow down.
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:06 PM »
Hey Andre,

I am now 14 weeks post ACLr and it was really hard to start with but doing a lot better now although I have really struggled to get my quads working again but they are slowly coming back. Major problem at the moment is that I get quite a bit of pain in my ankle but getting a lot more sensation down my leg and when I massage my leg below the knee it really sets the fireworks off in my foot. I am hoping this is a good thing. I have not had an EMG test yet despite putting a request in at the end of last November. It can sometimes take that long with the NHS here. I see my surgeon tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what he thinks of my progress and I will be chasing him up on the EMG test.

Jackie. Let us know how the surgery went as soon as you can.

Amanda. Glad to hear you are feeling better and more positive.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Gordon let us know how you are progressing.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #388 on: May 23, 2007, 02:56:51 AM »
Hey everyone, Sorry i have been absent but i had some problems with my laptop.
I am so pleased to hear that you all seem to be doing well. You are truely inspirational people.

Andre - Good show my friend, you must feel pretty good to have come so far with your recovery to get to the CFL. You are truely an inspiration to all of us and anyone who has faced adversity due to a serious injury. I will have to follow the Argos this season. My boss used to give me eskimo tickets quite often. So when i get back out to Edmonton in August i will have to start hounding hiom for some more and come cheer you on. Congrads man!!

Mom444- that is such great news that your little girl can move her toes. You have endured so much it must ease your mind aliitle, that is a definate sign that things are progressing positively.

Jacky- how did your surgery go? I hope it went well  for you. Ive been thinking of you and wish you all the best!

Hamish and Max- sounds like you guys are still working hard at it, keep it up, i am pulling for you.

I have been working really hard at my physio in the last few weeks. My leg seems to be doing well, range of motion is still improving i haventy got many degrees left to gain. The muscles have come back very well thus far so i will continue to work hard at it. I am still doing my EMS and have two appoinments next week. One is with my Surgeon and the second is with the neurologist, i am due for my second EMG it will be the five month mark since the injury and 4 since my surgery so i am not expecting much at this point, but hey you never know. The last time he tapped my nerve below the damaged are and i felt nothing but now when i do it i can feel it shoot right down to my toes, so hopefully that is a posotive sign.

AmanadaC-- I hope you are doing well, work hard and stay positive!!

Take care and i hope you all enjoyed the Vicotia day weekend!!
Gordon

Offline desag

• Regular Poster
« Reply #389 on: May 23, 2007, 03:12:18 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks for posting all of your success stories and how you got thru the tough times!  I have been dealing with knee issues for about 6 years or so and I am determined to continue playing ice hockey and other sports and playing sports with my kids when they start  

Andre,

I work out with my legs once or twice a week, depending on swelling and pain.  Do you have a routine you could recomend?  I would love to apply as much of your work out exercises as possible.  Good luck with the CFL!!!!!!!!
2008 Double Bundle ACL Reconstruction and other clean up work
2008 Medial Meniscus repair, dispaced bucket handle tear
2005 R ACL Reconstruction & Meniscus repair
2000 L ACL Reconstruction & Meniscus repair