Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 453279 times)

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:05 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Today marks the first offical day that i am done Rehab. i honestly felt abandon when i was given the news from my therapy staff. ive been doing this for so long that it had become routine ...and now its all over....just seems strange but good at the same time. They feel that the only thing really left to do is Strengthening of the body and foot and of course training for Football with specific drills and such. I still cannot believe that i have made it this far in recovery and planning on returning to active sport when a plan like this a year and a half ago seemed impossible to reach. I know i have said this a million times but it definately needs to be said again and that is thank you to the people at kneeguru.co.uk for making this site available and thank you to everyone in this thread and on this site for helping one another through hard times.....i feel that i have had a very healthy recovery (in regards to my mind state) because i could ask questions and relate and get feedback which was the best part gaining information that a doctor may have been restricted to give for whatever reason. this week is my last week of strength workouts and then it is on to getting prepared for the feild again. Dont get me wrong though Playing football is not the best part of this ....the best part is what i have done to play football again and that has given me more confidence and trust in myself then i have ever had before and in a way i am thankful for this to have happend to me. Although with saying that i knock on wood that it never happens again...lol.

Take care all and healthy speedy recoveries to all

Amdre
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2007, 04:14:37 AM »
Hey Fellow Floppers,

Well I'm getting a bit nervous too, my surgery isn't getting put off (Like urs jackie) and I go back under the knife, for the third time on Wednesday.  Blah, I'm not looking forward to it; you know, the part when you're laying on the table, just before they put you under and you're talking to the doctors wondering if this is the last thing you'll ever see on earth.  I'm more afraid that when I wake they are going to tell me that there's nothing they can do and I'll have to live with the foot drop forever.  I wanna be like Andre and Jackie, telling everyone that I can dorsi-flex and run and do those things that I love to do the most, that means running and catching the bad guy.  Other than a decrease in nerve pain (dragon) I haven't seen any sign of progression in nine months.  I was hoping that at least Id be abe to wiggle something by now.  The doctor, the head of neurosurgery in Calgary, says that he's going to open me up and do various conductivity tests.  There's one of three outcomes (1) open me up, see everythings healing the way it should, then close me up (2) Open me up, clean all the scar tissue that's compacting the nerve and close me up or (3) open me up and if there's no improvement or no signs of regeneration he's going to try a nerve graft, which is a total last resort as there's only about a 1 in 3 chance of it working.  I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that as I want to believe that it will come back on it's own in another 9 months but who knows?  The rush to have the surgery is this; if I need a nerve graft you have to have it within one year of the injury or there's no chance of revival and no doctors will do it.  Therefore, I was faced with a decision; waiting and seeing with no surgery and if at the end of three years there's no movement I'm out of luck, there's nothing anyone can do.  Then wishing I would have had the surgery.  On the other hand, if I have the surgery now I maybe able to have a nerve graft to save the dorsi-flexion.  A real tough decision for me, as you have all been in my shoes you understand. 
Regardless, I think of you guys often and look to you that are recovering as a real inspiration and I draw hope from you. 

I made a myspace page so if you wanted to have a look at me you can, find it here:    http://www.myspace.com/max_pwr

If you get a chance send some good karma my way, I just want to wake up and the Doctor tell me everything's going to be OK; much like we all hope for with every EMG and every other doctor visit.

-Max- (aka Bob)

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2007, 04:49:13 AM »
Hey Max,
i can totally understand how difficult a desicion that must be regarding the nerve graft. They told me the same thing. After my five month emg if there was still nothing then they may try a nerve graft. right now my odds are 50/50 and like you said nerve gafts are 1 in 3. but hopefully you will wake up and they will tell you some good news and that no graft was needed. i am not as far into this as the rest of you guys are so i cannot know how you are feeling after that much time has past.  The human body is really good at healing itselfand you have been healing for 9 months so just think posistive. I hope your surgery goes well Bob, i will pray for you. (I am assuming you are a flames fan) The playoffs will be starting soon my friend so that will make time go a bit faster for you. Maybe the flames will go far and help lift your spirits out there in Alberta. My neurologist told me they have seen numerous people get dorsiflexion back after a year, so don't give up hope. I know personally how tough it must be to be a cop in Alberta so i'm sure your not going to give up.

Best of luck my friend
Gordon 

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »
hey Max,

I Can relate with your want and hopes for recovery as we al have been in similar stages in our recovery and i want to help as much as i can whether it is from giving hope to another or ideas and types of theraputic methods i have gone through to assist in the regeneration. i too at 8-9 months had zero function from the Peroneal nerve all i could do is invert and point my foot down with medium strength. Is there anything you can do with your foot? meaning point foot down,invert or anything with your toes? just wondering because you said you hoped to wiggle something not sure if you meant toes , foot or both. when did you have your last EMG test and what were the readings from it?( sorry if you have posted this information already) i hope everything goes well with your exploration and i wish you the best in your reovery and let me know if i can help in anyway...i dont want to come across as a "know it all " or anything just want to give as much information as possible.

Take Care All,
Andre
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2007, 03:49:57 PM »
Hello All,

Max and Gordon I wish you both well in your recoveries. 

Andre, I hope you continue to inspire us and continue to post to this board when you can...  Even though you are done with rehab you still are our "cheerleader" and "teacher."  Your experiences very much give us a lot of help, hope and useful information.

Just like all of you I too with my daughter am dealing with the worst part of peroneal nerve injuries...  the UNCERTAINTY. 

There is so much that is just NOT KNOWN and UNCERTAIN about this type of injury and how it heals.  I have been struggling most with the whole TIME FRAME aspect of all this so it's good to hear Gordon say that a neurologist told him they have seen many people get their dorsiflexion back after a year.  And the "numerous people" aspect is good too!  That means they have seen cases before!  We have had so much frustration having dealt with so many doctors and therapist who had simply never seen this before!

I think I'll go massage my daughter's leg now.  It can "increase blood flow" as the PT says and maybe "channel some energy."
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
Max (aka Bob)  best of luck mate - will definately be praying for a good result and positive news from your surgeon. 
Andre - I am absolutely certain you will be fine after rehab but as you say that feeling is quite real when it comes to an end as the whole routine of rehab becomes so much part of your life.  (for some of us it is only a fleeting reprieve!)  I hope you find time to continue to pop in to the thread but not to the detriment of pulling you back to those floppy foot days.
Gordon - you will soon be catching us up time wise, and as our younger brother you will be well looked after by your older brothers and sisters!
Mom444 - keep on massaging - I am convinced that the continual touching and encouragement did make a difference.

Well got to get on my trampet and give it some action - you all take care and good recoverires
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
Thanks Jackie,
I got some good news regarding my knee on Friday at my 2 month post op check-up. everything is healing good as far as they were concerned with my legiments and such. The full leg hinged brace is gone and i got fitted for a small Don Joy brace. I was told the ball is in my court now as far as physio goes and to work hard. The harder i work at it the better. Good to know i guess. I kinda look forward to each physio sescion now and am doing alot more at home aswell. As far as the nerve goes i do feel a difference in the feeling in the top of my foot. I would not go so far as to say it is normal but it is defineatley more normal. not as supersenstive. At this point i will take any improvement. However i still have alot of time before i can expect a recovery from the foot drop. I am only 2 months post opp and about 2.5 months post injury. i was told i had about 10cm of damaged nerve.Thats 100 days but i am giving myself double that just so i am not disapointed if there are no sign's of life in the foot by then.  My OS did give me a presciption for a EMS i have not gotten it yet but i will have it soon. I am excited about that. How long was it before your tib ant muscles respnded to the EMS Jackie and Andre? I am truely happy for both of you and hope you continue to recover.
Hamish i hope things are well, And Mom hang in there, my thoughts are with you.

Max i wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow and hope you get the news you want.

Gordon

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:42 AM »
Hey Guys,  just to answer a few questions.  I have great plantar flexion and can move my foot down and wiggle my toes side to side or down (I can pick up marbles with my toes) but any movement upwards is impossible.  My inversion is really weak and I have no eversion whatsoever.  I try to run on the treadmill with the AFO but my ankle gets so sore because it's quite weak so I just set the setting on the highest possible speed I can do while walking, just before I break into a run, then increase the incline.  My last EMG was last month and because it was with a different neurologist than my previous one in November he had some diffferent results as he also did a couple of different tests.  He 'thinks' that there may be some activity but because he didn't have a good baseline he couldn't say foresure (sound familiar to everyone else's?).  He did explain to me that he knew of two Canadian olympic athlete's that won gold medals while they had the palsy, I asked whether they were in the special olympics but he laughed and said no - one was a bobsled and he couldn't remember the other.  Regardless, I thought it was a good statement to say that with the palsy things can still be accomplished.  He also made the mistake of getting my hopes up as he said that I may only need the AFO for another eight months.  I immediately looked at him and by looking at my face he realized what he said and committed himself to, then the back peddling began and he withdrew all such statements.

As we all are before surgery, I'm nervous as hell but instead of looking at the next two weeks of pain and uncomfort I'm focusing on eight months down the line when it's late fall and I'm chasing my daughter in the park.   One more thing, does anyone else hate the term "Drop Foot" or is it only me?  I like  'Peroneal Nerve Palsy' or something a litle more formal.  Drop foot sounds like a slang term for a real crappy condition.  They could make it easier to those that suffer by giving it a cool name like "studmitis (stud-mite-is)"  wouldn't that be a bit better, well maybe for the guys anyway. 

Well enough rambling, take care all and I'll let you know how things went when I get home from the hospital in a couple of days.   I'll be thinking of you all.

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2007, 12:41:44 AM »
Hey Guys,

Gordon, glad to hear things are going well. It is a great feeling to get rid of that big old brace. Work as hard as you can on the PT. Where are you with your flexion and extension? As far as my knee goes things have improved a lot over the last few days and the swelling had improved greatly. I ahve managed to go to the gym on the last 5 days and this has helped to get things moving. I see PT tomorrow and am looking forward to going to show off.

Andre, good to hear things are going so well for you. When you were telling us about being signed off by your PT it really struck me that it had become just part of everyday life for me and the actual realisation that at some point I will be there almost made me feel sad. Not that it will be great to be fully fit but it would be almost like a divorce or loosing something that is part of your life. Just goes to show how something just takes over your whole being. You can tell I have had a couple of glasses of wine tonight, I'm getting all nostalgic about my physio.

Jackie, my foot did all sorts of funny things when I did the figure of 8 with my finger. Hope your op isn't delayed too long.

Max/Bob, good luck with the op tomorrow and let us know what the outcome is.

Mom444, I keep praying for your daughter.

Hamish

Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2007, 02:41:28 AM »
Hey All,

Thanks for the encouragments Hamish and everyone!  You are all so sweet!  I truly believe in the power of prayer.  We pray for you.

Today my daughter's PT used a "point stimulator" on her.  Has anyone else had this?  It's a small plastic contraption with a pointy little thing coming out of it.  The therapist dips in in water and then places it on her leg.  It somehow stimulates and contracts the nerve.  There is supposedly some theraputic effect to this.  He says he will use that in sessions now in place of the EMS "tickle stickers." 

Her therapist does say that he is seeing some movement or contracting in the anterior tib muscles.  So that could mean there is in fact some kind of healing going on.  It may just be more slowly than some wouild hope.  But still, there's something going on.  I had to rack the PT's brains and ask him if he had seen people get better and get dorsiflexion back over a year and he of course did have a story about a college football player who injured many parts of his leg and it took him a long time to recover...  But I think that her PT implied that he did eventually improve. 

Also, we have two big events this Thursday.  In the morning we meet with the school district to see if we qualify for therapy from the school district at no cost.  If we do qualify however I am concerned they may put us with an inexperienced therapist with no kind of experience with this injury.  But our current PT says we mgiht be able to petition to have him still give the therapy.  Being here in the United States we have lots of restrictions with health insurance.  Thursday afternoon she has another MRI and she will need to go under general anesthesia again because of her age...  The last MRI showed nothing but maybe there is a chance this will give us some new information.  Have any of you guys had MRIs that did show your peroneal nerves?

Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »
Hello Everyone,

How have you all been?  Any word yet on how Max the Mountie did in his surgery?  We are all hoping and praying things went well.

Just updates on us:  We went to the committee meeting with the school district and they would not approve my daughter for school sponsored PT.  They don't think her condition is severe enough to affect her education.  That's fair enough.  We'll just have to hope that we can make our insurance approve more therapy sessions with our current PT.

Also, if anyone has used a point stimulator...  Is this something we could also get for home similar to the EMS unit?  We have another session this afternoon but it will be with a different therapist.  Our regular guy has a meeting.  But I'm thinking this may be good because I'll have YET ANOTHER THERAPIST TO INTERROGATE   ;D  I'm gonna bug him with questions and ask him about everything he knows!  I think the other therapist is a younger guy...  I wonder if he's had any other experiences with peroneals...

The last visit from the dragon was on the 14th.  I am hoping he comes back, if that in fact is a good thing.  During the day and for the past few weeks my daughter claims her leg feels "fine."  I know one of you posted that a doctor told you that healing can still be happening even without pain...  I sure pray that's true.

I'm trying to stay calm and not worry about the next EMG next month.  The doctor said that if he didn't see significant improvement at the next EMG that he thinks she'll never get any better because the atrophy was too severe.  Let's pray not!

Let us know how you all are.  We are thinking of you.

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Well I made it through surgery, I always worry a bit about the anestesia and everything that's encompassed with it.  I guess it's a control issue as I just have to learn to let go and reliquish my control.  Everything went well in that regard.  I'm obviously at home and sore as hell.  The neurologist opened my peroneal first at the knee to disqualify a double crush syndrome (where damage occurrs both at hip and at knee) and thankfully the peroneal at the knee was fine.  He then opened my up from the top of my right buttock to the back of my right knee.  He said that the nerve was intact and there was no obvious signs of tearing or disection, but there was some discoloration in a few places and there was a mess of scar material that had trapped the nerve.  He released the nerve and closed me up, total surgey time was about three and a half hours.  Before he released me I tried to get him to commit on whether things will return but he wouldn't say.  I wanted to get some odds, you know like 50-50, or 70-30 or something but he wouldn't do it.  All he said is time will tell now.  We've done everything we can and the rest is up to my body.  There is nothing more I can do but hope for the best.  He didn't even give me a time frame.  The foot does feel a bit different, I still have no dorsi-flexion but it feels more 'natural' for lack of better terms.  The pins and needles have disppeared and the doctor said that was a good sign.  As well, the dragon has not made an appearance since the surgery the doctor said another good sign.  So now we are 'guardedly optomistic'.   I came home yesterday and can kind of sit comfortably at the computer.  That's all I can say at this point, I hope things start waking up within the next few months.

I hope everyone is doing well and I certainly appreciate the kind thouights, words and prayers.  Hopefully we can all get through this and giggle a bit at what we've been through.  Maybe even compare scars. 

Good healing everyone, and lets keep in touch!  Thanks again everyone, I'm so glad I met you.
-Max-   

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »
Hey Max,

Really good to have you back and very pleased the surgery itself went OK for you.  By the sounds of things it does look like you may win the scar competition.  It reminds me of a walking weekend I went on a couple of months ago with friends where there was a stream  (freezing cold stream, coming off the mountain) and suggested we had a competition as to who could keep their foot in the water the longest - well I was always going to win that one!  ( with such little feeling in my foot). 

So now you need to rest up and let all that heal and see how it goes.  The news sounded positive and that is good.  Bless you good and I am convinced this mountie is going to back on his horse (well patrol car!)
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2007, 11:18:02 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Well I made it through surgery, I always worry a bit about the anestesia and everything that's encompassed with it.  I guess it's a control issue as I just have to learn to let go and reliquish my control.  Everything went well in that regard.  I'm obviously at home and sore as hell.  The neurologist opened my peroneal first at the knee to disqualify a double crush syndrome (where damage occurrs both at hip and at knee) and thankfully the peroneal at the knee was fine.  He then opened my up from the top of my right buttock to the back of my right knee.  He said that the nerve was intact and there was no obvious signs of tearing or disection, but there was some discoloration in a few places and there was a mess of scar material that had trapped the nerve.  He released the nerve and closed me up, total surgey time was about three and a half hours.  Before he released me I tried to get him to commit on whether things will return but he wouldn't say.  I wanted to get some odds, you know like 50-50, or 70-30 or something but he wouldn't do it.  All he said is time will tell now.  We've done everything we can and the rest is up to my body.  There is nothing more I can do but hope for the best.  He didn't even give me a time frame.  The foot does feel a bit different, I still have no dorsi-flexion but it feels more 'natural' for lack of better terms.  The pins and needles have disppeared and the doctor said that was a good sign.  As well, the dragon has not made an appearance since the surgery the doctor said another good sign.  So now we are 'guardedly optomistic'.   I came home yesterday and can kind of sit comfortably at the computer.  That's all I can say at this point, I hope things start waking up within the next few months.

I hope everyone is doing well and I certainly appreciate the kind thouights, words and prayers.  Hopefully we can all get through this and giggle a bit at what we've been through.  Maybe even compare scars. 

Good healing everyone, and lets keep in touch!  Thanks again everyone, I'm so glad I met you.
-Max-   

We wish you a speedy recovery Max.  You said you had to have scar tissue removed around the nerve.  Did they mention anything about a "neuroma" on the nerve or if you had "neurolysis," which is removal of scar tissue from the nerve?  My daughter had both.

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #299 on: March 25, 2007, 04:07:32 AM »
No Mom sorry, , he didn't get into the technicalities of the nerve entrapment, perhaps I should've gotten specifics from him.  I have a follow up in a few weeks, maybe I'll get a little more detail from the surgeon then.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

support