Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 453289 times)

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:46 PM »
Hamish,

The very best wishes to you for Monday, I am sure we will all be thinking of you.  Excellent news about the sensation and lets hope this is the start of a recovery for you.  You will have to keep us informed on your progress.  I was told that most recovery occurs between 3 and 6 months so fingers crossed for you.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline stabso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2007, 08:06:17 PM »
Hi everybody

Good to hear such positive news on here.
Even I manage to get promoted from a 0 out of 5 to 1 out of 5 grade for dorsi flexion by the physio last week.
I just wish the toes would show some sign of joining in, that way I might be able to get it to lift off the ground instead of just doing it in the air.

Getting an MRI on Monday and an EMG on the 20th, so that should give a better picture of where I'm at now and where I'm heading as the weeks/months go by.

All the best for Monday's op Hamish.

Welcome back from your hols j_smi001

Well done mom444's little girl.

Andre, have you found a work-around for your over-protective sub-conscious in training that you mentioned recently?
I have to say, that it sounds like quite a healthy fear to have and nothing to do with cowardness, just something that time and usage might hold the key to.
Without trying to sound like I really know what I'm talking about, maybe your sub-conscious needs time to get to trust your knee again before it becomes second nature.

I've tried to check out your videos but I keep getting "Page Cannot Be Found" when I click on the arrow. Is it just me and/or any ideas? (using a Mac)

Best to you all

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »
Hey All,

Glad to hear you are all doing well. 

Hamish, I hope you are getting some recovery!

Jacky, hope you are doing well with your recovery and that you did get some relaxtion from your holiday.

Stabsco, congrats on the dorsiflexion!

Andre, thank as always for all you do.

So...  It's so hard trying to get a straight answer from a three and a half year old!

I'm trying not to pry my daughter or force her into answering yes or no to anything...  But sometimes she says she has no pain at all in her leg.  Then other times she says, "It hurted me when I was sleeping."  She hasn't mentioned the "dragon" lately.  Then other times she says she has "pointy fingers" that are inside her leg...  Then again, other times nothing...

But I still get her saying "ow!" when I touch her scar...

I'm so confused!

As mentioned, her neurosurgeon wants to schedule another EMG as soon as possible.  The way they book the appointments is that we just have to wait until they call us...  I'm a little nervous however because I fear how I'll react if it's not good news yet.

I just have to keep the faith I guess.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2007, 11:37:48 PM »
Hi everybody

Good to hear such positive news on here.
Even I manage to get promoted from a 0 out of 5 to 1 out of 5 grade for dorsi flexion by the physio last week.
I just wish the toes would show some sign of joining in, that way I might be able to get it to lift off the ground instead of just doing it in the air.

Getting an MRI on Monday and an EMG on the 20th, so that should give a better picture of where I'm at now and where I'm heading as the weeks/months go by.

All the best for Monday's op Hamish.

Welcome back from your hols j_smi001

Well done mom444's little girl.

Andre, have you found a work-around for your over-protective sub-conscious in training that you mentioned recently?
I have to say, that it sounds like quite a healthy fear to have and nothing to do with cowardness, just something that time and usage might hold the key to.
Without trying to sound like I really know what I'm talking about, maybe your sub-conscious needs time to get to trust your knee again before it becomes second nature.

I've tried to check out your videos but I keep getting "Page Cannot Be Found" when I click on the arrow. Is it just me and/or any ideas? (using a Mac)

Best to you all

Hey Stabso,

good to hear things are looking better for you...you said you can lift your foot when not on the ground? that is huge ....have you tried  lying on your stomach and bending your leg and instead of pulling up with your foot ...pulldown with gravity? i found that this would help when i could only dorsi flex in when off the ground.
with your toes can you pick things up with them ...? like marbles...or are they not functional at the moment?...good to hear things are going well...and with regards to me and my mental wars..just as you said ...its going to take time ...i have been getting better as i go along ...and my last session i had my brace and ..having the brace took a load off my mind. but still alot of getting some trust back. Im not ssure why it is not displaying ..its a Myspace.com page not sure if the embedding is not designed for Macs or not...but if you would like to view the page it is on myspace.com or Youtube.com and search Andre Durie. Thank you Stabso...and i wish you all the best on the 20th.
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline stabso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »
Andre,

Switched to a different browser and that solved the video viewing problem.
Hats off to you, as expected, some highly inspirational clips on there, thanks for sharing them with us.

I was particularly intrigued by the CAT board. Was it specially made or is it a commercially available piece of kit? I did a search online for one but no joy.
A brand name, should you get the chance, would be great.

I'm going to try and incorporate the pull downs and the marbles pick-ups with the toes as they are about 35% functional from that aspect so could use some strengthening and who knows it might help with lifting them up too.

Best

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2007, 07:04:03 PM »
I have now managed to have a look at the videos of Andre's recovery - I take my hat off to you.  You appear to have very good control over the foot,  and although I am making progress seeing that makes me realise I still have some way to go.  This is no bad thing as my confidence is over taking my ability as I found out to my cost during the heavy snow we have just had.  I know I sould have taken my stick as my leg is still weak from the lack of hamstring strength - still at least snow is a soft landing and no damage done but a timely reminder.  I am also impressed with the dorsiflexion equipment, no such thing that I have seen here.  I have mastered the picking up of a pencil though and what a good idea!  How satisfying is it when you learn a new party trick?  Although probably only people on this thread would truely understand the significance. 

Well wishing you all good luck with recovery and have a really good, productive and joyous week.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just checking in... 

Congratulations to all of you on your steady steps toward recovery!

We are just hanging on around here...  My daughter has mentioned absolutely no pain...  She still can't lift up her foot.  She even gets a little upset when we try to ask her if she can lift up her foot. 

We still don't know when her next EMG will be.

Just trying to stay positive.  It is now 6 and a half months past her neurolysis...  I know these things take time.

Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2007, 02:17:53 AM »
Andre,

Switched to a different browser and that solved the video viewing problem.
Hats off to you, as expected, some highly inspirational clips on there, thanks for sharing them with us.

I was particularly intrigued by the CAT board. Was it specially made or is it a commercially available piece of kit? I did a search online for one but no joy.
A brand name, should you get the chance, would be great.

I'm going to try and incorporate the pull downs and the marbles pick-ups with the toes as they are about 35% functional from that aspect so could use some strengthening and who knows it might help with lifting them up too.

Best

Hey Stabso

CAT stands for something specific....i will ask on monday when i go to therapy ...it was not specially made and is sold ...but very expensive.... i do believe the benefits out weight the cost......it is something around 600 canadian. this device also has attachments along the boarder to hook bands on to it so you can strengthen eversion, and inversion as well.. very very useful piece of equipment and i do believe this very simple device has done the best job in progressing my dorsiflexion. again i will find out the exact name on monday...we also have another device called the BAPS board..this helps with balance and finding out how to retrain the new movements in the ankle once,eversion,dorsiflexion,and inversion are somewhat stable.....i will post them once i go back to therapy. Also i will ask about some alternatives to emulate the CAT board if for some reason it is not available where you are.

And thank you for the kind words....Jacky ....i do have control of the foot but not full control...its hard to see in the film because of the quality but..i cannot control the amount of force in my dorsi flexion.....when i pull it up it stays at 90 and i am having trouble on the push off...because as i let go from the 90 position it pretty much flops down.....i need to start controlling all aspects of the mechanics of running if i want to play again. but definately not complain when a year and a half ago i was praying to just feel my foot nevemind move it. So these videos along with the boards have been a good reminder of progression and it doesnt give me an option to give up.

Hey mom444,

We are hanging with you...i was wondering...can she do what Stabso mentioned? if her leg is in the air and her foot hangs past its natural hanging postion ..can she pull it up to its natural hanging position? ( you may have to pull it down the foot when its off the ground) all the best

To Hamsih and Daveybc...i hope you are well with you and your recovery

And to all that view this Thread dont be affraid to share your support,stories or concerns......you are all welcome.
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2007, 09:57:44 PM »
Hey All

just a summary of last week.

Last week i was happy to finally get my brace. although i was happy to get it i was not looking forward to trying it on due to the numerous amounts of horror stories i have heard.(you lose a step or it to heavy or slides down alot..etc.) i was affraid that having this piece of plastic on would not help my progression (physically). Mentally i wanted it to help me regain some confidence to take the next step in my recovery. so i tried it on and it was terrible....i could hardly flex the leg and it felt horrible lifting it. after walking and jogging around in it.....my therapist called me over ...she reached down and pull to security pins out of it and low and behold my flexion was much easier and it felt as if there was a 10 pound weight lifted off the brace. They were very cruel but i think i need to hate the worst aspect of being braced(again) before i could appreciate the benefits of it and what having this brace on will allow me to do.
Once the pins were out i was much more eager to take it out for a real run.
We headed to the track centre where i now do all my runnig sessions.  Everything seemed pretty good and adapting to it seemed to be be good except for the fatigue. it seems that i am tiring out much faster with the added weight which is expected..so strengthening will again be a huge part in recovery. After the session i was very sore from the brace pads which sit right on top of the bone(not sure what it is called) and added to the sorenss giving me more swelling. as i posted before we are working with the foot and its dorsiflexion to have total control of it during activity.i still lack control even though i have strength and can dorsiflex...i still need to beable to distribute enough force out of the foot and take impact on the foot properly...or i could put my Achilles tendon at risk for rupturing.
That is all the new stuff we have done this week and next week we hope to take it up alittle more as i now feel i have adjusted to the brace.
Hope everyone had a good weekend
Andre

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2007, 02:23:34 AM »
Thanks again.  I don't think my daughter can do that yet, she still can't dorsiflex at all.  And for a split second today she was saying that her leg hurt on the front of her shin under her knee...  Again, don't know if she really means it or is just saying it.

Also, Andre I was reserarching peroneal nerve injuries and I found some links that reminded me of you.  There was another football player who injured his peronal nerve.  I think he was from the Philadelphia Eagles and his last name was Reed...  I don't know if you already heard of this or if his situation is at all similar to yours...  I just thought you might find it interesting.  There are a few different hits about it online, if you google reed AND peroneal AND eagles
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:25:52 AM by mom444 »

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:06 PM »
Hi Guys,

That's me home from my op and still feeling a little groggy. Surgeon said it went well and things looked pretty clean inside my knee with no damage to the meniscus. He did show me a picture with a bit of wear to the cartilage but I thing this was normal for a knee that's had pretty heavy usage. Leg feels pretty sore at the moment and I am icing it at the moment. Wlii keep you posted on my progress.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2007, 03:28:00 AM »
Hi Guys,

That's me home from my op and still feeling a little groggy. Surgeon said it went well and things looked pretty clean inside my knee with no damage to the meniscus. He did show me a picture with a bit of wear to the cartilage but I thing this was normal for a knee that's had pretty heavy usage. Leg feels pretty sore at the moment and I am icing it at the moment. Wlii keep you posted on my progress.

Hamish

Good to hear your surgery went well Hamish...hope you start feeling better soon.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2007, 03:49:57 AM »
Hey mom444

That was a very inspirational story ...and one that i am trying to live up to. It is sensational what modren medical technology can do now adays to assist in recovery. the person that i pretty much idolized and got the motivation to start a comeback was a player named Robert Edwards. also an ex-NFLer, and now plays in the CFL. his story is just as amazing and maybe just alittle more due to the extent of the injury. Thank you for the search info and all the best to you and your family.

Still searching for the name of the Equipment...sems that the school had ordered it and the name has worn off. so we are going to do some digging to find out where it came from.

take care all

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2007, 04:25:26 AM »
THE DRAGON CAME BACK LAST NIGHT!

She woke up screaming in pain and my husband went to check on her.  She said her leg hurt and was writing in pain and was very much squirming!  She was telling us the truth!

I hate to see her in pain but I am happy that the dragon came back because it could mean she is healing!

It had been exactly two weeks since the dragon's last appearance.

He likes to come on Sunday nights, maybe because we tend to pray more on Sundays?

No mention of the pain today during the day time but you all mentioned that pain tends to be worse at night.

Plus, if you think about it, our bodies grow and regenerate at night.

Andre, I'm glad you liked the stories about J.R. Reed from the Philadelphia Eagles.  I only read some of them, but I thought that you might sympathize with him because he was so heartbroken about being out of the game...  But I did look to see if any of the many articles were recent and featured updates on him and I did not find any.  Did you?  What became of him?  Did he heal?

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »
Thank goodness for the dragon - I am so pleased that your daughter is getting sensation in the leg and pray that this is the nerve regenerating and all will be well for your daughter.

On a completely different note, how do you all respond to questions like,
'so how long will you have to wear that splint?'- like it is a forgone conclusion that there is in fact an end date.
'that looks painful' - what?, Don't be daft, I can't feel it - at all, it is numb
'I thought you hd an operation on your knee, is it not better yet?'

Ok this is fast deteriating to a full scale whinge but how much longer have I got to endure these questions for?  I know people are just being kind and showing interest, for which I should be grateful but getting close to having a badge made, saying, 'I have foot drop as a result of the operation on my knee, it means I can't lift my foot up, I don't know when it will fully recover or whether it will in fact fully recover, thank you for asking.'  Ok I am just being grumpy, maybe I am having a non- positive day.  Maybe chocolate will help, and if not at least I will feel better. Hope you are all having a good day and I will be less grumpy tomorrow.   :D  ;)