Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 454614 times)

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #615 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:14 AM »
well unhappy anniversary jove.  i too have my 1 year unhappy anniversary this week on the 13th. i still cannot dorsiflex my foot but i do get very minimal contractions in my anterior tib with the tens unit.  i also have been having increased ankle and foot pains but am unsure if it is nerve regeneration or my ankle collapsing.  i dont see the md until august.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #616 on: June 12, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
To jove, JC, tanya, et. al.

Remember, if you are looking for an alternative treatment based on electrical stimulation, we have been using what is called "threshold electrical stimulation" on my daughter.  It is a low level stim unit that you wear overnight.  This is because some studies show that overly strong stim that causes strong contractions can actually hurt or impede progress!

If you are interested in learning more, send me a PM.  It is considered "experimental" but it does show promise...  Also, the units are hard to find. 

We are STILL waiting for the surface EMG biofeedback machine to come in from Canada

Bless you all,

Mom
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:53:00 PM by mom444 »
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline Tanya8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #617 on: June 12, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
Hi Jove, mom444, Icblank and everybody,

Thanks for setting me straight about your graft surgery Jove...I went back to read your other posts and realize that someone was asking you about nerve decompression. In my case, decompression was the recommended treatment, and I can only hope that it works...in any event, I'm glad I had the surgery because now I at least have my knee back...before surgery the knee was very weak and I felt as if something was stuck in it preventing me from taking a full stride and walking more normally...I also had a "hit the funny bone pain" behind my knee, but now it has returned to normal...a real relief after 6 months of pain, but according to my doctor, many people express this kind of relief after decompression surgery.

I've also noticed that I can lift my first 3 toes up off the floor better now, but they are weak and can easily be pushed down with a little pressure...it is progress, however. As for ankle dorsiflexion, I don't know what to say about this...watching your peroneal nerve heal is sort of like watching a glacier move...the scientists tell you that it should move and that it is moving, but you really can't say for sure what you're seeing. As for treatments to help the nerve heal, my doctor said that keeping active is the best medicine...natural everyday movements and activities are the best stimulation for the return of nerve function...so Jove, it looks like you're on the right track to recovery.

Well, my best wishes for your full and more speedy recovery, and let me know how you're progressing...

Tanya
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:17:41 PM by Tanya8 »

Offline ah51416

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #618 on: June 22, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
I have also past my one year anniversary.  I injured my knee a little over a year ago and I lost all dorsiflexion and eversion.  I thought I had no hope,  but a couple of months ago I regained a little eversion.  I noticed a small twitch when I was doing my nightly visualizations.  The last two month I am seeing more and more progress in the movement.  There is not much strength, but I am getting more range of motion.  I am still optomistic about regaining dorsiflexion.  Being a personal trainer and training in Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, and Muay Thai,  I have to keep a positive attitude.  I am learning how to get around this SMALL OBSTACLE and continuing to do the things that I love.  I truly believe that keeping a positive attitude will help with everyone's recovery.  One of my wrestling coaches once told me  1. "Don't sweat the small stuff." 2. "Everything is small stuff."  Don't look at this injury as a problem.   Look at this injury as a small obsticle that we have to overcome.   This injury has made me a stronger person by giving me a challenge that may take years to conquer.  Stay strong and never say die.

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #619 on: June 22, 2008, 10:50:16 PM »
Welcome ah!

Please continue in the discussion and share with us your advice and progress!
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline jove

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #620 on: June 26, 2008, 03:39:44 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement!

ah51416 , I'm interested in details about how you manage to do the jiu jitsu, wrestling, & M.T. ?
Do you wear an AFO? knee brace? or ????

I don't like to wear the AFO for Muay Thai, I tie my foot up with shoelaces instead. I will kick the heavy bag or thai pads lightly  with the 'bad' leg, but I'm afraid to kick anything full force with my bad shin, because I doubt all that impact would be helpful to a regenerating nerve? And I will not spar any one with kicks, but I will spar boxing...I do 'ok' even tho my footwork is clumsy.

I'm still afraid to do wrestling or BJJ because (for one thing) I never got my torn ACL fixed. Did you get the ACL repair? My Dr. seemed to think it was pointless to fix the ACL,  so long as the nerve is not working. But then, the Doc has no clue what BJJ is all about, so I don't expect that he understands what I am wanting to do......I don't want to risk another dislocation, thinking with no ACL, it might be a possibility.... But I am thinking perhaps I may be able to start doing just some very basic BJJ reps or drills, without resistance.

As  far as wrestling, I can sort of shoot on one side, but the bad side I still can't bend the knee enough. Still working on that. I can sprawl and pop back up on one side, but the other side I can sprawl, but can't get my foot under me to pop back up on...

Anyhow- I'm interested in how you do these things? and what kind of afo or brace do you use for each activity?

Offline ah51416

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
Hey Jove,

I use an ASO brace and a hinged brace for Muay Thai.  I don't have too many problems pivoting on my bad foot.  The biggest problem I have is jumping rope because the rope hits my toenail on one toe and it hurts very badly.  I have no feeling on the top of my foot, but it feels like my toenail has super sensitivity.  I still kick the bag with my bad shin, but maybe I shouldn't?

I use a hinged brace, an ASO, and a very supportive wrestling shoe for BJJ and Wrestling.  I have wrestled since a very early age and takedowns used to be my strength.  This injury might be a blessing in disguise because it is teaching me to be more comfortable on my back.  I am just starting to drill takedowns, but I am still afraid to go 100%.  I still start on my knees when we are actually rolling.  I still have not had surgery on my LCL or ACL,  but I plan for it in Sept.  I still plan on achieving my goal which is competing at a professional level of MMA.

I do a lot of balance exercises that have really improved my strength and balance.  I couldn't even balance on one leg for 5 secs when I started.  I am now balancing on one leg while standing on a balance pad and performing an exercise for at least a minute.  It is neat to see how the body adapts when the anterior tibialis stops functioning.

What are you doing for rehab and what braces do you use?  Do you stretch your calves daily?

Offline 1knee4me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #622 on: July 08, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
I tore my ACL, PCL and LCL playin football. not to mention i stretched my peroneal nerve. doc said it was beat up and bruised really badly but not torn. Whats the best thing i should do, doctors are tellin me to get nerve grafts. Is nerve decompression surgery better? Or should i just wait to see if they will regenerate by themselves. Emg's have been negative so far, it been 8 months since the injury and im tryn to play ball again in college.

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #623 on: July 14, 2008, 06:39:30 AM »
has any of you had problems with you ankle after nerve damage?  i am seeing the doc now for ankle pains-have foot drop from peroneal nerve damage and my ankle feels like it is falling apart.  i cannot strengthen it and he possibly thinks my ligament is loose and getting caught in the joint.  if its not one thing its another.  i am surviving with my nerve pain from foot drop and now my ankle has decided to come to the forefront and take over in the pain problems--it hurts more than my nerve pain now.
1995 menisectomy

Offline ziggy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #624 on: July 15, 2008, 05:22:13 AM »
Hi

I  have just read your post.  I have foot drop for the last 3 years following TKR surgery 4 years ago.  I have had 2 nerve releases the first was successful for 6 months and then got progressively worse until now.  I get lateral ankle pain which I think comes from the natural inversion of the foot after peroneal injury and also from the foot being in extension all the time.  I have little knee ROM left so cannot use an AFO but try to wear a night splint to help keep my foot flexed at night to stop contracture deformaties from developing.  I think that we all tend to toe walk after peroneal nerve injury which also puts immense pressure on the foot which is not natural and all these things can cause pain.  Toe walking can cause plantar faciitis which can make the arch and heel of your foot extremely painful so stretching your foot is really important. 

I was also impressed to read on previous posts how many people had had some results afte nerve injury.  I was thinking about having a tenodesis done to pull my foot up but maybe I will just continue exercising foot and having PT to the muscles and who knows maybe even after all this time.  I was given a time limit of 2 years for 10cm of damage and now am told to accept defeat but that is not a word used on any of the boards on knee guru.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:53:53 AM by ziggy »
Aug-00 TKR l knee
May-01 Remove scar tissue l knee
Mar-03 Rev l knee and Arthroscopy r knee
Sep-04 Rev TKR l knee
May-05 Peroneal release
Nov-06 Peroneal release
Jan-07 Ulna shortening
Nov-08 open debridment l knee
2011 arthroscopy r knee, severe break l wrist, TKR r knee
2012nerve damage both legs

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #625 on: July 18, 2008, 05:57:31 AM »
they say my damage was 2-3 cm and it has been 13 months with no return.  my original injury was from the doc sewing my nerve up--so actually it only had a hole punched through it but due to the stitch being there 6 months before removed that is where the damage occurred.  the docs had hoped i would have gotten return way before now--i see him again aug 6.
1995 menisectomy

Offline cwalukevich

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #626 on: August 12, 2008, 05:50:15 AM »
Hey JC-
how did you make out at your appt?

To all-
I had foot drop as a result of ruptured L5 disk. Used NEMS unit, did
therapy, wore AFO for 20 months with no seeeming change in the
foot drop.

Had a posterior tibial tendon transplant and am in month 4 and
in a walking cast. Nice straight foot! Still have recovery pain from
learning to walk again. Can't tell if nerves are still doing any recovery
but excited about this new foot position and looking forward to Sept.
when I should be out of the cast and into shoes.If anyone is contemplating this surgery,
I am willing to share my progress and answer questions.

C.

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #627 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:17 AM »
cwalukevich--i am getting referred back to a neuro surgeon for a possible nerve graft.  i havent heard anything from them as of yet.  hopefully this week.  my doc has discussed a tendon transfer but i am taking other options before that as that is a permanent fix.  hopefully i can get some answers from the neuro surgeon.
1995 menisectomy

Offline AmandaC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #628 on: August 13, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »
Hello to all the new comers and to all the old ones to.
Well its been a while since I posted so I thought I had better give everyone a update.  I am not 35 1/2 weeks pregnant and will get date for my C-Section delivery tomorrow.  Have had few problems with pregnancy as expected, my hip and back are not holding out the best fairly painful, I have also developed an Anti Body in my blood that can affect unborn baby so am getting monitored very closley, baby is quite little at this stage but I wasnt expecting a big baby after what I went through, I count myself lucky to even be having a second child.

In regard to my nerve recovery it will be a year since my operation on 2nd October and 2 years since accident on 16 September.  I had thought nothing else was happening but this week I have two more toes that are moving - downwards not upwards.  This is showing signs of improvement in my tibial nerve which was significantly damanged but some muscles continued to work, my peroneal nerve has to date not shown any signs of improvement in regard to movement but I think there are a few changes with sensation.

Any way please keep posting I do read updates at least once a month but didn't think I had much to post.  Max, Hamish & Gordon are any of you guys still watching and if so how's things going for you.
Keep posting - next time I post I will probably be sleep deprived and up to my neck in dirty nappies and washing.
Amanda

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #629 on: August 15, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »
Hi Amanda,

Sorry it has been so long since i last posted on the forum. Hope everything goes well for you over the next few weeks. Things with me are going pretty well and although I do not have full movement back in my foot (and it is still numb) I am no longer wearing my AFO. It broke and I decided to do without it and see how I got on. I wear my foot-up when I go to the gym. I do occassionally catch my toe but generally I am walking pretty well. Other happenings are that I managed to ski a couple of times this winter and my knee came through it great so chuffed to bit.

Gordon, Max, how are things with you? I will keep poping in from time to time to catch up.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

support