Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 454319 times)

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »
Thanks Jacky.  It's unfortunate that we have been fining out the hard way how physicians and therapists are humans and that they often display poor judgement and make mistakes.  Still, I think it's inexcusable for a surgeon to not be aware of how a material that he often uses in surgery works.

For those of you who are interested, here is the link to the Neurwrap materials's site:  http://www.integra-ls.com/products/?product=198

It has only been on the market for the past few years.  Also, I hear it was originally developed and used in the UK.  So I am wondering if any of you "across the pond" may have heard of it.

In theory, this material sounds like a good thing.  It is supposed to cover and protect the nerve while it is healing and prevent any further scar tissue from forming.  I know some of you have in fact said that you had to have repeat surgeries because your nerves would grow more scar tissue after being operated on.  I just hope and pray this material does in fact help.

We will keep up our prayers and good thoughts for all of you.

Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2007, 03:26:39 AM »
Hey everyone,

Welcome FrankGrimes and sorry for my late post...life has been kinda hectic the past couple weeks. hey Mom444 i have never heard of the neurwrap before nd i just checked out the site and it kind of looks unneccessary. just from looking and reading about it on the site you posted it looks like it would resistrict more healing agents in the body while scar tissue isnt that big of a concern because thee are different ways of clearling and freeing scar tisue. can Doctors in the staes just use things like that without your knowledge or did you consent? sorry if im being to intruding...i am just finding this new approach very strange and is there or have you found any facts or statistics that support this procedure?

Hello To everyone and i hope that you are all doing well...going to read through the thread to see what ive missed.
Andre
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #317 on: April 03, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »
Hi Everyone, just a quick question.  Does (or did) everyone wear a night splint or have you simply discarded it in the name of comfort?  I am debating whether to wear mine when I sleep.  I wear it inconsistently at the best of times but Im considering just putting it under the bed for awhile.   Any thoughts?

-Max- 

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2007, 07:05:42 PM »
Hi Max,

I wear mine most of the time but I will do a trial tonight and sleep without it to guage how it feels.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #319 on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:58 PM »
I did use my night splint as before I got mine my ankle got stiff and I used the night splint to increase the tension on my ankle - it was a devils own job to get my ankle back to 90 degrees and I was just not a high heel type of girl!  I for one would recommend using it.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #320 on: April 04, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »
Tried not wearing it last night but only lasted an hour before I put the split on and it was far more comfortable.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #321 on: April 05, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
You should wear the night splints to avoid getting a "tight heel cord."
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »
Ya, I tried to not to wear it the other night, then last night I wore mine and there was a big difference in comfort.  It's just quite hard and cumbersome.  I've talked to a couple of people that have had the condition for 10 years and they don't wear one; I guess after awhile you just get used to the feeling of having no movement and an inability to stretch the cord.  As of yet neither of them have had any achillies problems eventhough they don't wear it.  I get my staples out today, not looking forward to the actual pulling but am looking forward to getting back on the treadmill and working out.

Hope everyone is contiuiing to heal and is getting their eggs painted for the holiday.  Chat with everyone soon.

Thinking of you,
-Max-

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #323 on: April 05, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »
Max,

Don't worry about the staples they come out really easily, a lot easier than stitches.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #324 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:58 AM »
Jackie and Andre
I was just wondering if you could tell me what it felt like when you could invert(outward) your foot. Earlier this week i had a twitch , and my foot went outward. I have not been able to do this since the injury. then tuesday night after my EMS i noticed that i could move my foot very slightly outward( just a couple of centimetres). I dont know if what i am seeing is anything to get excited about but then tonight it seemed to move more. I told my PT about it and she said if it moved then it had to be the correct muscles affecetd buy the nerve doing it. However i am abit skeptical. I can do it much better when i am lying down . It is alot harder when i am sitting or standing.

I was just wondering if you could tell me how it was when you first got invertion back.

Max i hope the staples weren't too bad coming out.

I hope all is well and you are all continuing to heal. You and your families have a happy easter.

All the Best

Gordon

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #325 on: April 06, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
Happy Easter!

Gordon, what you descibe is accurate with regard to the return of eversion and inversion. I too had a twitch, then I was able to flick it out but not hold it, then I was able to hold but it flickered about abit and now I can turn out and hold that position.  I would guess you are in the very early stages of return.  the fact is the muscle needs the nerve signal to do anything, voluntary or involutary.  Initially my physio was not overly impressed with the flick and made me perservere to the out and hold.  I also practiced lying down as it was easier, I found gravity to be a heavy pull on my foot.  You need to have a positive mind that this is the recovery. 

Max - was it as bad as you imagined or was it OK?  Hope you are feeling lots better now the staples are out.   Max and Hamish, I will say that I did find that the night splint seemed to draw my foot during the night and as I regained feeling in my foot I tolerated the night splint less and less.  If I have had a long day and the foot is floppy by the end of the day (it gets very tired, bless it) I do wear the night splint to give it some support but always manage to remove it in my sleep sometime during the night.  Please try to persevere with it though as I did and still do have difficulty with tightness in my ankle and I am sure wearing the night splint sooner would have prevented it.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline Max Pwr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #326 on: April 06, 2007, 10:18:52 PM »
Happy Easter Everyone!

Had the 75 staples removed yesterday, it did hurt but nothing like the pain we've all gone through with our various injuries and horrific nerve pain, at least I knew it would be over soon enough so I just did some grinning and wimpering somehow at the same time...

As much as I hate the night splint I'm going to wear it with hopes in time I won't need it anymore and that it'll help me in the long run.  Glad to hear from everyone! 
Thanks for all the support.
You guys take care and keep in touch!
~Max~

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
Happy Easter All

I wore a night splint as well....i used to take it off because it was uncomfortable and paid the price in the morning. my ankle would be so tight...and i would have to stretch my achilles and calf so much so i just bared with the uncomfortableness..(if thats even a word). G_Bronson....yes i started with a twitch as well..it was spontaneous and inconsistent but each twitch i had gave me new motivation to make it keep twitching and then eventually it turned into movement. Glad to hear about the progression.

We are in the process of moving and internet is up as of yet but when i get to a comp i check ill keep everyone posted.

It was my first day back on the feild this week for my university training camp...they are getting me prepared for the pro camp whcih is in 2 months. my cardio has been hit massively....and on the grass the leg fatigues alot quickers due to the extra force needed to run on such a soft surface with kleets on. so my problem areas are really showing. other then my terrible endurance skill and football knowledge and aility are surprisingly still alive and kicking and i feel gret on te feild ...it doesnt feel like i was injured nor do i really think about it...but i havent started contact yet so who knows what to expect when i start progressing to that. also after all the unning and pounding on the knee at practice...NO SWELLING at all which is great but i do think i am developing alittle patellar tendonitis..which i believe is common..so next week i will be recieving shock therapy to induce healing in this area and posibly rid this annoying distracting pain. ive posted some training camp stuff if you like check it out...and Jackie i have been working hard to regain my big toe movement..no real progress yet but you have given me hope that it is possible so im going to keep trying.....Again Happy Easter and best of luck to all in your recovery

Andre
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »
Hello Everyone and Happy Easter!

Well, I have been trying not to focus on the stress right now.  I'll just say I had a bit of a confrontation on the phone with the surgeon who was possibly unaware of how long the Neurawrap material stays in the body.  I hate to argue with doctors, but I'm not sure what happened and why the man didn't know off the top of his head that the material stays in the body and therefore could very well be what was showing up on the MRI.

Andre to answer your question of course I researched the heck out of these "collagan conduits" for nerve healing!   ;D  Most of what I have read says that they are in fact meant to ease recovery and to protect the nerve.  I just pray that it is working.  The dragon has been coming by at somewhat irregular intervals so I hope and pray that's a good sign.  She even said the other day that there was a "two headed dragon" in her leg!  LOL.  One head was breathing ice and other breathing fire!  Sounds like nerve pain and we know that it could possibly be a signal of healing...

I may not be in on these boards as often in the near future.  I have a health issue of my own right now and some family things that I must be attending to.  I don't want to say what it is on the board for privacy reasons, so I'll go ahead and send each one of you a private message (those of you who have been active in the past month) saying what it is.  Again, just please don't mention what it is on the boards, for privacy's sake.  A lot of non users "lurk" on here and who know who may be reading this.

I hope and pray that you all continue well with your recovery and thank all of you for all your prayers and support for my little girl.

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. When I have been icing my knee I get a sensation as if cold water is being pored over my foot. This has only started over the last couple of weeks. Does anyone else experience this?

Hamish
Footdrop