Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 473164 times)

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »
ah that wasn't very successful - try again
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
Hey all,

I am "blogging" again...

I reconsulted with my daughter's PT and the PT thinks that we SHOULD go with getting therapy from the school district.

We are waiting a few months before going back to the electrical muscle stimulation to see if there is any more regeneration.  We tried it last month but there was no nerve response yet.  Hopefully we can eventually get a unit for home.

It is now six months past her surgery and there is no dorsiflexion yet.  We keep hoping and praying.

If it really is that "inch a month" timeframe for reneration, then I guess we'll have to do some waiting.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop. Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma. Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2007, 05:26:15 AM »
Hey all,

Great Pics ....i wish i had taken more pics and video of mine ...i really regret not doing that.To all the pics posted how have your cars healed? mine have been pretty nice conversation starters and usually win scar comparison competitions with the boys.

Mom444 you still have alot of time to go with your daughter try not to be discouraged...the waiting is the toughest part and not to compare but i didnt get dorsi flexion until (correct me if im wrong) 8-9 months after. i would guess do to her age that she would probably have a much bigger window for regeneration....im am truly wishing all the best for you and your family.i was thinking of some mental preparation that i did with a doctor....just a different approach...it was just watching yourself as you once were. i had videos and game film that i would sit and watch just to see how i moved then tried to imagine and instill dreams and thoughts of moving like that again.
I have two kids on my own and i was watching old videos with them when i thought of you and your daughter and thought maybe it could be something to try if not tried already.I would see my son just acting out the things in the video..not every kid does that but....but i was thinking maybe  implanting old memories could help produce thoughts and visuals of her walking and playing "normal" again....I dunno ..im just full of hope....but anyway ii will keep you all in my thoughts.
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2007, 05:36:56 AM »
I have a Question,

I noticed this probably a week after my ACL surgery but discarded the feeling as it went away. now and then when i massage, electrode, or ice the peroneal tendon and muscle i get a feeling as if ice cold water is being poured down my leg...after the surgery i would get it frequently ....but then it wennt away and now it seems to have come back but not as consistent as before......from what i understand Hot and Cold sensations are blood vessell or circulation problems..but the cause and effect dont really make much sense and it seems to be agravated when i hit the peroneal tendon area. Has anyone else encountered feelings like this? and if so have you received any info of this feeling if there is any? One of the things that scared me when i injured myself was Artery damage......i dont think it is but possiblities are endless so i thought i would post to see if anyone can relate.

Thanks Andre
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Offline stabso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »
Greetings all

Last week saw a prof of neurology who said that as 2 months had passed since op to decompress root nerve and still no sign of movement, he doubted things would improve.
But would refer me on to someone who specialized in peripheral neurology.
He also wants EMG and nerve conduction tests done to pinpoint location and extent of damage. This is something I wanted to avoid in the early days, as it would confirm my worst
fears which I have now come to terms with, I guess.

Also bought a electro muscle stimulator to keep those dormant muscles ticking over, but I'm a little confused as to whether I'm doing it right.
There is hardly any contraction of the anterior tibialis muscle or of any of the other muscles affected by nerve damage and to get any sort of slight hint of a response I have to really
bump up the power on the unit often causing the electrodes to feel hot and uncomfortable. Eg if on the good leg I get muscle contractions at a setting of 21, on the other leg I have
to set it on something nearer 180 just to get a flicker.
I figure this must be down to the nerve fibres not working as they should, thus only contracting the muscle at around 5-10% of its capacity.
If this is the case and the muscle isn't contracting that much, I'm wondering whether it's worth perservering with it.
Any insights on using EMS with nerve damage would be greatly appreciated.

Saw an AFO expert today who reckons the SAFO is about as effective as the Foot Up which considering the price (650) is not exactly a glowing endorsement.
http://www.dorset-ortho.co.uk/index.php?page=1000042

Andre, this may not be that helpful, but I've heard that the sensory aspect of nerves is the slowest, stubbornest and the last to heal so the fact that you can tell cold from hot is a good thing
in itself and hopefully not indicative of anything other than the nerve sorting itself out.

Best to all

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
Stabso, I am sure all of us here are with you in what must be very disappointing news.  I am also waiting for nerve conduction tests and EMG.  I don't have a muscle stimulator so can not proffer any thoughts on that.  A friend of mind had a SAFO from Dorset Hospital (NHS funded) and is happy with it for around the house use. He has permanent complete foot drop with no hope of any recovery.  He has been a rock to me and this week supported me when I took and passed the job related fitness test.  I am so pleased to have another hurdle completed.

Amdre, with the cold water running down the leg - I had that after the arthoroscopy and was told it was the peripheral nerves sorting themselves after being cut and disturbed.  I had the feeling for sometime but it had certainly gone within a couple of years.  No such with any sort of sensation at the moment though.  I was told it was nothing to worry about but get it checked out for peace of mind.

Mom444, I have to concur with Amdre, hang in there as it really is very early days still even if it doesn't feel like it.  Your daughter is young and has that as a definate plus point. 

I wish you all the best.  Take care
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »
Hi Stabso,

The information I have gained from this threat is that a EMG test is not a difinitive test. I think Andre has had a couple of EMG tests that showed no response but has since had positive gains with recovery and it all depends on the stage of degeneration of the nerve (which comes first) and then the regeneratio that occurs that will dictate the level of recovery.

Stick with it and good luck.
Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2007, 02:18:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your encouragement.  I really appreciate it and I hope and pray for all of you as well. 

Andre and J_smi, thanks for the advice.  Remember, she apparently damaged the nerve when she was only one and a half and we never were able to pinpoint it because she "walked funny" but we chalked it up to her age.  Then she was misdiagnosed for so long and went through dozens of tests, MRIs and X rays before the EMG proved her problem was nerve damage.  It looks like she had been living with the nerve damage undetected for a long time and a least a year and a half before the surgery.  Still, I hope that because her lesion was incomplete and she is so young that it can buy her some time and leeway with healing...

I have noticed lately that sometimes when my daugher is sitting on the couch she "plays" around with moving her feet.  She still can't lift up the left foot but she likes to use her right foot to push it up by force.  She also IS still able to move her left foot to the sides and I think that may be peroneal controlled?  However, she always had the ability to move her left foot to the side even before she had the nerve damage...  Remember, the lesion was "incomplete" (but I am still confused by all of this.)  Anyhow, for a three year old I think playing around with trying to move her feet is the closest thing she has to processing this whole thing.  But I guess that is actually good becaue at least she is doing something. 

We want to get an EMS unit for home as soon as there are signs of nerve regeneration and movement again.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop. Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma. Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline stabso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »
Many thanks for the words of support on this thread and best wishes to all recoverees, especially mom44's little girl.

Hamish, it's partly from reading through this thread that I realized that there's hope after the first EMG test and beyond.
Any idea what the signs of nerve degeneration are, how soon after damage does it begin and again is there anything to indicate the nerve is regenerating?

Many thanks

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2007, 04:48:48 PM »
Hi Stabso,

To be honest I did't know. I am still at an early stage at the moment!

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »
hey stabso

i know the question was not intended for me but i thought maybe i could give you some of the responses i got for your question ...as i to asked those exact same questions.part of the degeneration phase i was told was the intense pain and shocking sensations i was getting through the pathways of the damaged nerve. this happend for a gruling 3 to for months...there afte it slowly diede off and it was in a staggered point of recovery where nothing was happening for about a month or two..then the shocks began again not as heavy or as painful but there was activity again...and also my mind felt able. what i mean by that is when i couldnt move my foot ..i couldn't connect with that part of my body no matter how hard i tried....but there came a point where i just felt able to connect...dont know if it was from therapy or consistent and obsessive thoughts of recovery ...or just time. I am a strng believer in mind over body so making a mental connection would probably be a sign of regeneration and  knowing that you can move it regardless of what tests say or even physically moving it. Sorry to keep on ....i just would like to add that in trying to make a connection i got desperate and tried everything to make that connection ...ultimately compensating for the loss by using other muscles to move the foot. Please be  patient and focus on the proper muscles and pathways to recovery....it was very hard for me to make the transition out of compensating as it felt like my body had given up to the loss.

Hope all is well ..have a good weekend

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »
Blog Time,

Had a very productive last week in therapy....well its not really therapy anymore( i guess) we are now just all about strength and retrainiing movements due to the lack of nerve response this past year and a half. This week we picked up the speed alittle ..(still unbraced and should be coming next week hopefully) and added lateral movement and Agility movements at a slow pace. the straight ahed running felt great ...but then when i started to do the lateral and agility movements my confidence seemed to hit a brick wall as i became very cautious with every step and mentally stressing myself out. i think it was partially because of doing these movements without a brace and obviously i injured myself doing these types of movements. I remember just putting my mind in there hands and just reassuring myself that they would not make me do anything i couldnt do or not able to do. With me putting all my trust in them i started through the movements andevery movment that i did i was gaining focus and  mental strength. Also when i began i had the strangest feeling when i went to spin off of the left foot...i literally did not know where my left foot was supposed to go after..almost as if i forgot a move that i had done 100 times. It was weird and also should me that i still have along way to go in recovery and that i need to correct and retrain the sense of the nerve and my balance of where i am when i do agility moves.  After running i lifted weights with the leg and .....the day after it wasn't to bad but the Poterio lateral side had all sorts of new feelings that had me kind of worried. i saw the doc and was informed that it was normal and a good thing as the tendns muscles and ligaments are adjusting to the training and the new movements that i haven't done for almost two years.
This week was a very good for recovery even though when the week began i felt discouraged ...it was a stage in recovery development that i had to go through if i wanted to keep progressing.

Take Care All
Andre

Also....new running footage and lateral and agility movement footage on Webpage...if you want to view click on the world icon ...and the new viedos are located in page blogs under" the road to recovery training sessions".
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:56:04 PM by amdre »

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2007, 09:16:38 PM »
Blogging,

Well what a week........
Tuesday I took part in the job related fitness test and passed the shuttle run element of it.  I did this to satisfy myself that I could do it, but my poor suffering left knee has let me know that it did not appreciate this moment of madness and has been screaming at me ever since.  The good news is that the operated right knee stood up well to this test with no side effects at all.  I also joggrd it without my splint on and used the forward momentum to keep the foot up. 

Thursday in hydrotherapy managed to balance on my right leg (the one with foot drop).  Also noticed a increased stinging sensation down the outside of my leg when exercising.  I have noticed some stinging more recently in the evening.  Does anyone else experiance this?

Friday - heard from the hospital that my surgery on my left leg definately won't take place in March and may be in April depending on my health authority agreeing, as the op is in another health authority area.  Disappointed and need to preserve the left knee as long as possible - note to self, so no more fitness tests!  Also heard that the wait for nerve conduction tests is 18 weeks.  This is going to be another long year.

The ups and downs - but looking on the bright side the delay means I have a bit longer to regain as much strength as possible in my right leg.

With every blessing

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
Best of luck to all of you again.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this but tonight during dinner my daughter said, "My leg hurts!"  My husband and I looked at each other and I admit I started to get really, really excited.  I don't know if it's too soon but so far I have heard a lot that painful sensatiions could possibly signal recovery.  When we asked her later what the pain felt like she said, "Like a dragon!"  Who knows?

But even if she was just being silly it still felt good to have a glimmer of hope. 

A lot of you have in fact had painful sensations too, correct?  For those of you who did have recovery what did it feel like.

Andre,  did when your nerve was recovering did it feel, as a three year old would say, "like a dragon?"

Bless all of you.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2007, 04:25:25 AM »
Hey All

Lol Yes a Dragon is a perfect description as my pain was just as enormuos as a Dragon. in answer to your question mom444 the pain felt like shocks and this was very heavy and consistent shocking running down my leg to my foot this went on for about 3 months and started when i first injured the nerve it then died off for about a month or to and then i started to get pain again in the same areas but not as consistent or as sharp...Doctors said this was the regeneration phase of the nerve and that pain was good. I never thought pain could feel so good...lol...hope is always there you just have to believe which i know you do ....wish you all the best and i hope for more new sensations/movements and plenty Dragons.

Hey Jakcy....are those stining feelings on the posteriolateral side of the knee? i noticed before and now as well (but not as much) when i would balance or balance and rotate i would feel all sorts of activity going on in the posteriolateral side. it felt like stinging,strecthing/ pulling and cracking (dont ask me what cracking means ..it seemed to fit the description perfect) it eventually went away and as i do more and more on the leg it tends to come back to remind me to take it easy.