Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 456495 times)

Offline Shumster

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #1110 on: November 07, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »
Hey Everyone, I haven't been on here in ages. I just wanted to mention that since my nerve graft failed I had a Posterior Tibial Tendon Transfer. Currently i'm still recovering and unfortunately I got myself a post-op infection which has set me back somewhat.

The good news however is that I have some dorsiflexion already. I can pull my ankle up just past 90. I should be full weight bearing and starting physio soon. It's been 8 weeks since surgery. I'm optimistic about being able to walk without a brace and wear whatever shoes I want!

If anyone has any questions about the surgery feel free to message me!

Cheers,

Lachlan

Offline JACLEE46

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1111 on: November 10, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
I had foot drop as a result of having a spinal fusion of L5-S1 & also 4 & 3 above it, had rods and screws in as well, 5 days in hospital, in first week of being home I noticed the foot drop, Dr. had me do physical therapy and I have been continuing to do electric stim at home 2 times a day for 30 min sessions this surgery was 6/28/13. I have had no improvement, 9/24/13 Neuro Dr. did surgery on the peroneal nerve
did a exploratory and decompression, I was in surgery 2 hrs. Just had follow up 11/4/13 Dr. asked me if there has been any improvement I said no, and he said well there should have all the work I did, I forgot to mention I also have been wearing a foot brace as well, Dr. tell me it will take up to 18 months to see what function I will regain, the nerve regenerate 1mm daily, I have read up on this and everything I have read suggests after 6 months there is a poor prognosis. I am 45 years old, going into the spinal surgery with having the multi level fusion I knew I would need to use my legs for functioning, Since the damage I am not able to return to work and Dr. deemed me disable and I have filed for disability, PLEASE someone tell me
some good news VERY DISCOURAGED  :-[

:-[

Offline mnb801

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1112 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »
Jaclee,

Dig in for the long haul. This horsesh*t injury heals slower than a tortoise with rigor mortis. Get yourself a brace that's comfortable, I've had great luck with my Centri Dynamic Walk Single Side, which is low profile and light weight. It doesn't have any vertical support at the ankle, like most other AFOs have due to their beefy construction, but it provides great dorsiflexion. I actually like that it doesn't have ankle support, as it forces my stabilizers to do their job. The one downside is that mine broke after a year of moderate to heavy use (see my post on page 75).

I think you are in a much better position than people like me who have damaged our peroneal nerve, but what do I know? I'm an electro-mechical-engineering technician, dammit, not a neurosurgeon! I will say that my injury hasn't really affected my ability to do my job, which requires me to stand, lift, climb, and walk quickly so people think I'm always super busy. I haven't explored the disability thing yet, though I'm sure I will if this thing doesn't heal itself eventually, but at 29 Months post injury and little dorsiflexion, I'm thinking this is permanent for me.

Chin up Jaclee46, I think you'll do fine either way. Keep active. One thing I was stoked to discover is that I can still ride my bike up canyons and sprint the flats just like I used to and zigzag through the trees on my snowboard WITOUT A BRACE! Though, I do ride my bike with my Centri AFO if I'm riding around town and plan on walking. I need to find a brace I can carry around while I'm on serious rides, just in case I need to walk.

Offline JACLEE46

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1113 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the information, but sadly my snowboarding days are over due to my spinal conditions, I will be very limited for the rest of my life, but I am very determined to return to work, I loved my job and co-workers are like family, I worked at a Veterinary Hospital. The first brace I got was terrible, the second much better, I do walk 3 miles a day and plan to increase that as time goes on. Do you have the awful pain in your legs as well? I am currently take 2700 mg of Gabapentin daily and still have considerable amount of pain which I am realizing I am going to have to learn to deal with by what my Dr. says. I will keep my chin up and good luck to you has well.

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1114 on: November 14, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
So I had knee surgery in sept about 2 weeks later foot drop a week later extreme pain zinger, electric shock, burning to the point I feel I might spontaneously combust, itching, numbness etc etc etc with swelling in ankle and foot. This knee journey is finally improving only to turn into a nerve journey. So since beginning of October shortly after I started to have symptoms I have been doing things for desensitizing which just sends me over the moon with an increase in symptoms especially since I have become weîghtbearing and am becoming more active. I am fortunate the foot is working again. It moves but not as well as other foot/ankle, but has little strength and I compensate a lot not to fall on my face. I went to first neuro appt this week and she says there is dedicatedly peripheral nerve damage. I am going back in 3 weeks for EMG. She gave me a script for lidocaine patches which run about $10 per patch and to cover the are of my worst pain would take 3 patches! I am not sure if it is working well, only my second day. I am just using one patch and cut to place on one side of my leg to see if it helped (this way I have a baseline) as my pain is not consistent and acts up when it feels like it. Had anyone else used the patches and had success? Since they are sooo spendy and only last one 12 hour stint I hate to waste a bunch more money on them if they are only marginal in diminshing the pain. 
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline determined

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1115 on: November 14, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
Hi All, haven't been on here for a while......feeling guilty!

My son who stretched his Peroneal nerve due to posterelateral knee injury is now 18 months post decompression and 21 months post injury. He ditched the AFO about 3 months ago, except for running, and ran for the first time without it 2 weeks ago. He is currently studying acting in New York, and has to do a lot of dance and movement .........BAREFOOT!  Although this was a problem at first, his ankle has gotten much stronger as a result, and he tapes his big toe to his second toe to keep it up, as it is still paralyzed and not likely to recover. So the last muscle involved , the Hallucis Longus did not re connect to the nerves because of the time involved. However he is going to have a tendon transfer from second toe to big toe, which should correct this quite well. All in all we feel very lucky that he has made such a great recovery. He was very diligent about his PT and using his E stim machine.  Although he's not a 100% , its pretty good compared to where he was before. He only got the first flicker of movement a year ago.
So I guess this is a 'Peroneal Nerve recovery story"

Wishing all the very best of luck, don't lose hope....a positive attitude definitely helps. My boy was full of positivity all the time, and I know that really helped his recovery.

Take care,

Determined

Offline Shumster

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1116 on: November 27, 2013, 02:58:43 AM »
Hey Everyone!

Quick update: 11 Weeks since Posterior Tibial Tendon Transfer

I got over my Post-Op staph infection so that's good. My ortho gave me the go ahead for full weightbearing a week ago. I was supposed to wear the aircast and then start walking with shoes at the 2 week mark. I however ignored that advice and just started walking in shoes. Not sure if this is the best idea or not but the smile on my face was priceless when I started limping around without having to wear my AFO. It's been just over a week now and I'm walking pretty well. I went to the mall and bought myself shoes without having to worry about fitting an AFO in them. That was on day two and after walking for like 10 minutes I was in excruciating pain, but I was determined!

My dorsiflexion is pretty strong. Probably only about 5 degrees right now but it allows me to have normal gait.

Anyway, don't lose hope. It took me 2 years but i'm finally getting to the light at the end of the tunnel :)

If anyone has questions about the surgery feel free to ask. If anyone just needs someone to talk to feel free to message me!

Take it easy everyone!

Shum

Offline macior90r

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1117 on: November 27, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
there is an interesting article attached :)

I 10 months afher the nerve graft - still nothing :)

with best regards,
Maciej

Offline Jennchilada73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1118 on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:32 AM »
Hi! I hope this thread has not died out as I spent the past two days reading all 75 posts! My name is Jennifer and I am in the USA. I am 40 and a school teacher. On Oct. 23rd I was watching a student who locked the gate and took off running. I ran after the student and as I did I fell and dislocated my knee. I tore the LCL, the MCL, and the Posterolateral. I stretched my ACL and PCL, and tore the cartilage as well. My doctor also said I tore a piece of my fibula or perhaps something from my fibula? I was placed in an external fixator and had surgery to correct everything Nov. 21st. I noticed in October that I had no feeling in my calf or foot (the left leg only which is the same as the knee dislocation) and was told that I had Peroneal Nerve damage. The OS told me that in November he found the nerve stretched and "kinked" and straightened it. Today I saw him excited that I could move my toes up and he told me that is not my Peroneal nerve moving but my Tibia? I was so disappointed I cried in the exam room. He said I won't know anything for 12 months as to whether it will come back or not. My flexion is at less than 40 degrees and he wants it at 90 degrees by Jan. 2nd.
I am looking forward to hearing from others on this board. I would love to know the status of "Mom" and her daughter. I am guessing the daughter would be 8 by now? I have 4 children of my own and being down and out is killing me!

Offline macior90r

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Offline Jennchilada73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1120 on: December 25, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
I sure hope someone replies!  ;)

Offline Mom2Rach

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1121 on: January 09, 2014, 02:17:06 AM »
Hello. I am new here and wanted to check in on the mom with the young daughter. My little girl who is 9 sounds so similar.  We are 6 months post unknown peroneal nerve injury resulting in a foot drop.  She had decompression surgery back in May and so far no changes :(.   Her neurosurgeon said he would have liked to see some movement by now but all that I am reading says that 6 months can still be premature for a recovery.  She can not lift the foot at all and it breaks my heart to watch her.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:23:27 AM by Mom2Rach »

Offline ff89

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1122 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »
Hi! I hope this thread has not died out as I spent the past two days reading all 75 posts! My name is Jennifer and I am in the USA. I am 40 and a school teacher. On Oct. 23rd I was watching a student who locked the gate and took off running. I ran after the student and as I did I fell and dislocated my knee. I tore the LCL, the MCL, and the Posterolateral. I stretched my ACL and PCL, and tore the cartilage as well. My doctor also said I tore a piece of my fibula or perhaps something from my fibula? I was placed in an external fixator and had surgery to correct everything Nov. 21st. I noticed in October that I had no feeling in my calf or foot (the left leg only which is the same as the knee dislocation) and was told that I had Peroneal Nerve damage. The OS told me that in November he found the nerve stretched and "kinked" and straightened it. Today I saw him excited that I could move my toes up and he told me that is not my Peroneal nerve moving but my Tibia? I was so disappointed I cried in the exam room. He said I won't know anything for 12 months as to whether it will come back or not. My flexion is at less than 40 degrees and he wants it at 90 degrees by Jan. 2nd.
I am looking forward to hearing from others on this board. I would love to know the status of "Mom" and her daughter. I am guessing the daughter would be 8 by now? I have 4 children of my own and being down and out is killing me!
Hey Jen I had a similar injury to you, a knee dislocation in May 2012. Tore my acl, pcl, lcl, postero lateral corner, popliteal tendon and tib plateau fracture. My nerve was streched and bruised and at the time of my knee ligament repair the surgeon removed scar tissue and decompressed it. I was told to wait and see what happens and given something like a 50% chance of a full recovery. I explored other options, one of which being a tibial to peroneal nerve transfer. It was financially out of the cards for me so I went with the wait and see route. Nothing happened for the longest time but as of now I have eversion and some dorsiflexion with EMGs the docs have concluded it is coming from my superficial peroneal nerve, my deep peroneal, responsible for straight dorsiflexion, did not recover so well. I lived a very active life before my injury and thankfully I have been able to return to it albeit with some modifications. 
My suggestion to you would be look in to a tibial to peroneal nerve transfer, from what I have read they work well if done in time - under 7 months.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #1123 on: March 05, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »
Hi all
I came across this article while browsing, and it seemed a useful resource that some of you may like to look at. https://depts.washington.edu/neurolog/images/emg-resources/Fibular_Peroneal_Neuropathy.pdf

Sheila
--
KNEEguru

Offline macior90r

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1124 on: April 19, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
430 day after my nerve graft... so 1 year and 2 months... still no movement... I am losing my hope.

support