Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 454527 times)

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome to our new people.

Got a new toy today, its called a Foot-up. Its an ankle strap with a tongue that slotts into your laces to hold the foot up. Wearing it for the first time today so will let you know how I get on and if its any good. Has anyone else used one of these?

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline daveybc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2007, 06:11:01 PM »
 :'(
Hello everyone.  I'm new to these boards but I guess we all have the same thing in common.  I am having surgery today to sew together my Peroneal nerve (it's 90% severed due to being stabbed in the leg).

I'm 28 years old and am very worried about never being able to walk/run/jump etc again without problems or a limp.  I know this may be expecting a lot but I would like to get thru this, no matter how much time it takes, and be able to be back to normal..like I was before the injury.  I've read all the postings here but everyone who has fully recovered seems to have been in their teens which I have been told is the best time (if there is a best time) to have this type of injury.  The younger, the better.  The nerves seem to get old and lazy as you get older. 

Anyway, any advice and/or words of encouragement would be appreciated.  I have surgery in 3 hours.  very scared.

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2007, 01:08:09 AM »
Welcome and best of luck to all of the new members!

I'm glad also that people are still posting to this thread, I got worried for a while that it was staring to fade!  Please keep on posting so that we can support and encourage each other!    :)

My daughter is now in a dorsiflexion assist foot brace and it is a little bit thicker than her original brace but she seems to be okay with it.  Her preschool teacher noted that she seems to walk better in it.

We are I guess going to continue with her physical therapy and with the electrical muscle stimulation.  I don't know if I mentioned this before but because my daughter is so little her PT had a hard time getting the electrodes to line up on her leg and hit the right muscles.  She will have to order special, extra small electrodes.

It has been a little over five months since her neurolysis/peroneal decompression surgery and she still cannot dorsiflex.  The only thing that she can do is twist her foot slightly to the side, which may or may not be related to the peroneal nerve?  It is all so confusing.

Her PT spoke with the neurosurgeon and they both agreed that the nerve will most likely need to regenerate from the spinal cord so it could take many, many months for us to see any improvement.

We are just staying calm and keeping the faith. 

On a bit of a bright side her surgical scar seems to be healing more each day.  It was very long and frightening looking after the surgery, almost like a Frankenstein cut!  But actually that is the least of our worries...

I hope everyone had fun over the holidays and is enjoying how relaxing January can be!

Bless all of you.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2007, 02:11:28 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Welcome to all the new members....we are all here for support. i dont know where i would be without this site and especially the people i have met in this thread.they're experiences and words of encouragement have helped me enormously.

to Hamish.....how is the new foot thingy you got ? does it do the samething as an AFO or is it a new type of splint tried searching it didnt have much luck im gonna try again.also hows everything going with recovery?

to Stabso Doctors expectations are only statisical limitations that you shouldn't apply to yourself. i learned that once you start giving into the stats and the Doc guesses then you will truly get no further then that. you are capable of getting better...everyone is .....stay positive and try to filter out any negative opinions.

Jacky i have been a supporter of you 100 percent  and you have been my biggest supporting aid and we will definately be there in March and after.You have done so well and your drive is inspiring you will do well.and i like the qoute

Hey Daveybc sorry to hear about your injruy and the begining i must say is the hardest to go through. for myself i went through self pity,depression and i just felt useless to the point that i didnt want to do anything that required me to walk ... i hated everything about it and i beat myself up with it until i finally had enough and wanted to change what happend. I don't think age plays a big part but i think your mind and dedication plays an even bigger role in recovery. you already have what i didnt and thats the will to get back to the way you were and that thought is going to be your vehicle to recovery.we are here for support and any questions you may have.

Hey Mom444 the brace was a huge help to me mentally and in recovery. i wish your daughter all the best.
Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline stabso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement.

j_smi001, if there's one particular thing this thread oozes, it's, support. So come March I reckon you'll be in safe hands around here.

Hamish, I bought the Foot Up when it first kicked off and I must say I found the idea of my foot being held up by what is in effect a strong piece of knicker elastic, worrying to say the least.
But it does work as an alternative to the AFO from which I find I need to have a break from.
However, it does have different dynamics as it isn't as rigid as an AFO and is ideally designed for mild to moderate foot drop.
It also allows you to wear your "normal" size shoes as it doesn't involve putting anything into your shoe.

daveybc, hope the op went well and best of luck with the recovery. Keep us informed of how it's going.

mom444, best of luck to your daughter too on her road to recovery.

amdre, There really isn't any info about physio to help with foot drop out there, so many thanks for your hugely inspirational and informative posts on here and as for statistics, 8 out of 10 people think they're rubbish anyway.

Here's a link for the Foot Up
http://www.technologyinmotion.co.uk/flash/ankle-foot/footup.htm

Best

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2007, 06:47:55 PM »
Hi Guys,

Andre and Stabso. Worn the foot-up for a couple of days now and an give some feedback. As Stabso says it is just a bit of elastic which fits into the laces and does not give nearly as much support as an AFO and have actually gone over on my ankle a couple of times as it does not give the same ankle support. I think I will still be using the AFO but will also use the Foot-up for going to the gym as it is very controlled what I do there.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2007, 08:07:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

Well my GP hs made the referal to the consultant neurologist to see why I still have muscle wastage in the thigh.  There is a 5cm difference between the two legs - which gives me a turky leg and a chicken wing (not a good look!)  so that is the next hurdle.  It is possible that the aneasthetic during the first op caused some nerve damage much further up (so mom444 - I could be in a similiar position as your daughter and having to regenerate from the spinal cord)- or it could be that I am just plain lazy - not consciously but sub-consciously I am favouring the other leg and over protecting the affected leg.  We will wait for the results.  On a very positive note though I have anteria thingy movement - the ligament/tendon thing that makes your foot dorsiflex - well that is showing itself and I can lift my foot, probably half way.  I have just been so very lucky to still be going to physio and hydrotherapy and sure that it has given me the very best chances.  Good to see we are all checking back in after the holidays.  Thanks for all your kind words of support for March - I really do appreciate it.  Every Blessing to all.
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2007, 01:18:47 AM »
Hey All

Thanks for the link doesn't look very supportive at all as Hamish explained but it is definately better on the eye. And Yes Stabso,there isn't actual theraputic guidlines for Foot Drop specifically but there are different approaches that can be taken to help assist in recovery. I can only speak from my own experience (which may not be the most "normal" ways to approach the jinury).but for example during the past year (05 sept and on) i learned of another Player who suffered the same exact injury plus artery damage who had almost had his leg amputated. He reocvered (his EHL strength was still unresponsive)and is Back playing professional American football(and doing very well) after a 2 year recovery period .His name is Robert Edwards He played in the NFL and now plays in the CFL....we followed there approach down to every last excersise and therapy session..that we had access to.I to will play again in approx June and at the Pro level that i had always dreamed of playing when i was given 0 chance of recovery due to "compensation" and two negative EMG at 5 and 8 0r 9 Months post injury that showed no response of the Nerve..I feel that it helped me every step of the way and gave me confidence to see that someone else has done it so i knew it was always possible for recovery. Im definately not saying this answers all the questions but i started this thread to hear about what others have done to Recover and Overcome Adversity and also to hear and support others who want to overcome so we all can see there progression. So again there may not be specific ways to treat the injury with physio but hopefully through hearing others progression and experiences we can learn something different to maximize the potential to recovery.

Congrats on the Dorsiflexion Jacky the movements are just gonna get stronger and stronger...do you tingles or sparks whenever you dorsiflex? just wondering ...when i first started they cam back and no i still get them just not as bad.
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement!  We are still hoping and praying for my daughter's recovery.

Also, j_smi001 thank you for your private messages!  I would respond to you but I have no idea how to send a message back!?  How do you do it?  Do you need special permissions?  I can't find a private message button on my user panel.

We won't have another EMG for my daughter until May.  Her surgery was at the end of last July so we are just at the 5 month mark.

As I mentioned before I am a librarian and a researcher so I have checked many scholarly journal articles on this subject and not all of the articles say specifically how long it took for injured peroneal nerves to recover after neurolysis.  It's quite frustrating!  Some of the articles just said that patients had "improvement" but they did not state the time.

Hoping all of you are doing well.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2007, 01:41:49 AM »
Just Blogging

the first day back in therapy after the holiday break was Jan 3rd my assessment went well. i am 3 months and abit post-op ACL with nomore swelling. After workouts it tends to get a little bit of fluid build up but not enough to effect range of motion or strength. Stability is solid with comparison to thr right leg and seems to have no laxity in either repair. Strength of the VMO and Quad in general has been the issue and has now taken the fore front to rehab. The Quad is withiin an inch of the right leg and is ready for bracing but the strength does and size doesn't reflect the numbers. so i have been put on a Hyperthrophy workout program to build size and then a strength program after the 3 weeks to build up the strength.

Agility training in the Water has now been stepped up to 50 percent sprints in the shallow end so i can practice lifting my foot against resistance
they have also added start and stop motions so i can get used exploding and slowing down when running before i start on land .lateral and backwards running have also been implemented. i see the OS on monday to get re-measured and possilbly get fitted for a brace which has me me very excited....once i get the brace i can start working out all the kinks and start running at a performance level again something i haven't done for way to long now.
Therapy now just consist of Stimulation and Dorsiflexion ,Eversion excersises to maximize the strength.

take care and hope everyone had a good weekend

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »
Mom 444,

To reply to a PM - From the main screen in the top left hand corner in the box called user info, it will say you have ** messages.  If you click on that it will take you into your personal message page.  next find the message you wish to reply to and you will see three options, delete, quote and reply, press reply, type hello .................... and send.   Hope you can follow my instructions. 

Amdre - always love to read your blogs and you seem to be doing just great - I can't wait to feel the wind running through my hair! at the moment I have to satisfy myself with standing outside on a windy day!

i have physio and hydro on the same day tomorrow - that should test my new found foot movement.  Mind I quite like the look of the 'foot up' - I have a device called a 'toe off' which was provided for me by the orthotics department but I costs about 400 pounds.  How much is the foot up as maybe now I have regained some definable movement I could go for something a little more descreet?
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06.  Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2007, 04:46:32 AM »
Another question for Hamish regarding the foot up

How strong is the elastic band on the brace that holds your foot up? does it allow for push off or extension of the ankle?
Jacky i think the foot up would be perfect especially now that you have movement..when i was in the AFO and got movment back i felt limited by the brace because i could not practice my new Range of motion...it was just stuck in one spot. The foot up looks like it gives you more freedom to extend dorsiflex and rotate when you start to regain those funtions.

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
Hi Guys,

The elastic on the Foot-up is pretty strong and holds the foot up well. Have to remember this can only be used with shoes that are laced. It does not inhibit dorsifextion, aversion and inversion in the same way as an AFO does. I am wearing mine all the time and it seem fine. The only thing from my piont of view, and this is because I still have no dorsiflexion, not even a twitch at all and my ankle obviously does not have the stability, is if I am having a couple of beer or going to be walking on uneven ground I would wear the AFO. I have gone over on my ankle in these circumstances.

The Foot-up cost me around 60 pounds and I ordered it online from

http://www.technologyinmotion.co.uk/flash/ankle-foot/footup.htm

Andre, I know these are available online from some sites in the States and Canada. I will try and find one I found it on and let you know.

Hamish
Footdrop

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2007, 06:57:25 PM »
My daughter's PT was concerned also that the regular AFO held her foot in a frozen position.  Her PT was also concerned about how it may have caused my daughter to not use her calf muscles.  My daugher does have some muscle atrophy in the leg with the nerve damage.  We now have her in a dorsiflextion assist AFO and we often let her go without the brace at home just so that she can maybe build up some of the surrounding leg muscles through normal play.

By the way, my daughter just came in and was mad that I was on the computer and not playing with her.  I told her that I get emails from people all over the world who hurt themselves too and who wear foot braces and that those people ask me how she is doing.  She said, "Really Mommy?  People want to know how I am doing?"  I told her yes and that they want to know if she is getting better. 

She thinks its cool!   :)

We hope you all get better too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:01:48 PM by mom444 »

Offline daveybc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
Hey everyone.  I can't help but think how cool this site is.  It sure gives you hope and support.  I hope everyone is doing well or at least better.

I had my surgery after the New Years incident.  It went very well.  The doc said i had two nerves cut, the peroneal severed completely, along with an artery and the muscle.  He repaired it all and said the surgery went as great as it possibly coulud've gone.  now I'm at home, in bed, in a big aluminum foot brace.  for the first 5 days the pain was almost unbearable. ouch.  and pain medication doesnt do much for me except make me vomit so i pretty much had to tough it out.  the pain has for the most part subsided to an annoyance with the occasional spasm in my foot and ankle that hurts like a mofo.  and when i try to use my crutches to get around the weight of the brace makes it feel like my leg is being ripped open.  which is never a great feeling...unless you're in to that type of thing.  which i'm not. 

I go back to see the doc Jan 31st which is when i suspect i get the brace off and start working on getting this limp noodle of a foot working again.  as of now I have more sensation and feeling in it than I did before the surgery.  I can wiggle my toes very very slightly. but i dont know if that's due to the surgery or just the fact that the pain from being stabbed has gone away and allowing me to move it a bit.  not sure but i will definitely keep you posted.

i got some great ideas from everyone here on how to get around and tips to recover once I get this brace off and the surgery heals.  so thanks for that.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33939.0

support