Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: small pop under patella ?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline floorman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
small pop under patella ?
« on: October 22, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »
I am 53 and a hardwood floor contractor. I am having a small horizontal medial menicus tear repaired in December in my right leg.  Now that I am more involved with my knees, I notice a small popping action under my left patella when I sit in a chair and just extend my leg back and forth. It doesn't hurt although a pop will sound if I do this move several times. What's up? Thanks in advance. Greg

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: small pop under patella ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 12:39:53 AM »
My OS said that when a maniscus tears pieces of the cartlidge frey out and can get caught in the joint.  These freyed pieces can slip in and out of the joint.  When they are in the joint you get popping and cracking and stuff.  When it's moved out of the joint there is no popping or cracking.  Sometimes, it can move out of the joint for quite a while causing the patient to think that what ever the problem was it is gone.  But, sooner or later the freyed pieces slip back into the joint and the trouble resumes.  The pain level depends on how big the piece of cartlidge is that has slipped into the joint.  Of course, I am not a doctor and am just taking a guess at what it might be. 

Teresa

Offline floorman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 02:52:48 AM »
I don't have a menicus tear on my left knee. That's my right knee. This action in the left knee is below the patella, like in the tendon that attachs the patella to the tibia. But I don't know what mechanics are taking place. Maybe someone will read this post and know what is happening. Greg

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 02:56:11 AM »
Maybe, sorry I couldn't help with this one.  There are lots of people here with lots of different injuries, some one else may have a clue.

Teresa

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 06:35:17 AM »
I have the same type of popping as well. mine is below the knee cap as well as on the outside. sometimes there is pain and other times there isn't. I was told that the popping was secondary to a tracking problem. Has the knee given out? Locked up? pain walking up steps, squatting or kneeling? Possibly arthritis?  Let your OS know about the problem incase it has the potential of getting worse. Good luck!

Offline floorman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »
I don't have any of the conditions that you speak of. I only notice it if I put my hand over that area and move my leg back and forth.