Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Finally Straight answers from OS !!!  (Read 1276 times)

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Limping, but walking!!!
Finally Straight answers from OS !!!
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »

Hello All!
I finally got answers from my OS. Some of you that have read my treads know I have problems with him. I went in there yesterday very prepared for him. I had a list of questions and told him if he could not give me more than looks good to please refer me to a more interested OS. He finally told me the very seriuosness of my injury, what he had to do to reconstruct my knee and the porgress I have made out right. I was always getting well your getting there. Not this time. I found out that it was shattered in 6 places and I had quads , nerves, tendons bone etc cut. Had to have it all sewn and etc put back together. That the wires will not come out for another 8 months and that I still have a fracture , that they have no grown back yet. That my quads are not improving the way they should and that flexation is off. My knee is not straight and is off by 3 degress and It probaly will get to about two only after wires etc come out. I have a cane now and he told me to just walk as much as can. My rom is being effected by swealling and the stinging is the wires hittting scar tissue. Burning from muscles regrowing and some tingles from nerves. I will probaly have a slight limp. He ordered me back to PT and still on tens unit. I finally told him that I need some pain meds instead of tylenol and something for spasisms. I reminded him that it is my patients rights to have my pain managed and not ignored. He wanted to leave the room, but I told him that as much as I am paying him that he had a few minutes. >:(  I was ahard thing to do, but the not knowing what is ahead and what is really going on is harder.  :-[ I heard alot of things I really did not want to because than it becomes all to real now, but I can atleast prepare for whats comming ahead and what certain things mean. I know now that the recovery is mostly up to me and how soon and well I will beable to walk. That it is not going to be easy  and now I know I will be able to get through this.  :-*.
I guess I just got tired of it all and it was effecting my whole life. I was getting more depressed and feeling guilty about relying on family and effecting my personal life. I have a new look on life now and I know I am going to be getting this undercontrol now. I am going to be in charge of my injury after all it is my body.
I have alot of you to thank for it. I don't know I would of done if I had not found this site. It is very comforting  to know I am not alone and that I can share with people who knows what it feels like. You all have given me friendship, compassion and most of all have been there. :D.
I thank you very much. Bikersmurf
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Finally Straight answers from OS !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »
I hope you feel more positive now that you have some answers.
I can identify exactly with how you feel. My first OS released very little information in the first few weeks - i think they don't feel that you can take it all in. I eventually got him to admit that it was in the "top 5% of knee injuries" and that it was going to be a very long haul and I wouldn't get a "normal" knee.

In someways it is a relief to know just how bad things are because there is that feeling "oh I must just be a wimp", and others telling you of people they know who got better much more quickly.
When you know what you are dealing with you can set yourself much smaller (but achievable goals) rather than the big ones that you are destined to fail in the short term

All I can say is that despite 4 years and 9 surgeries I have finally got where I wanted to be with a virtually pain free and stable knee. So hang on in there, your timescale may be a bit longer but slowly but surely things DO improve.
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline ralemap

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 03:27:23 PM »
Good for you! Even if it wasn't completely good news, it's so much better knowing, isn't it? I know it had to take some gumption to stand up for your right to know what's going on with your knee!!

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 04:32:40 PM »
well done, for standing up to your OS, it wasn't the greatest news, but at least you know, you can start getting on with your life and hopefully on the road to recovery.

Take care

Hugs dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 06:00:36 PM »
 I am sooooooo proud of you for standing up to your OS. I knew that you could handle this. Your new optomistic attitude will serve you well. You did an awesome job girl.
Keep fighting, you will win this battle in the long run.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline momof4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:09:43 AM »
Way to Go!!!   I'm sooo proud of you.  It is soo hard to stand up to your doctor & hear things you don't want to hear, but knowing is better than guessing and wondering, isn't it?

Keep up the rehab!  It'll get better.   Love ya'   Pamela

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 06:14:46 AM »

HellOAll!
Justa quick note. I got a home telephone call from my OS today. He was calling to make sure I was alright and how the meds he finally prescribed were doing. I thought what is up with him. I was nice to him and thanked him for the call. I guess I must of scared him or made him think . I know I knocked him off his high horse some yesterday. :o I guess he has gotten the message that he is not going to push me around anymore. Thanks to all of you . I thought you might get a little chuckle from this I did ;D I am  4 ft 8 and he is over six foot, my husband say dynamite comes in mall packages and I guess the os  figured that too. 8). Hugs to all Bikersmurf
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 09:55:35 PM »
Good for you for demanding answers from your OS. Although you didn't get very good news, at least you know what you're dealing with and now you won't expect too much too soon. And I'm glad that you finally got your pain meds! I just don't understand why patients can't get the pain relief they need, but it's a common problem. Hang in there!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support