Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please help-1st surgery went bad-Fulkerson only option-need advice  (Read 998 times)

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm hoping there is someone that can shed some light for me. I had realignment surgery one year ago. I was told by my new OS that I have arthritis ontop of my tracking problem and to redue the realignment surgery would be bad medicine. The first surgery was horrible. I was six months in therapy before I could go back to work with many other hardships to go along with it. The new OS said that doing the Fulkerson is the only thing that will fix my knee and he thinks that it will be a long-term fix. He's also talking about using a cadaver implant to help hold my patella inplace. Is anyone familiar with this? I'm terrified of going through the pain again and it is not done right. I am a paramedic and need to be able to function, I can't afford to make the same mistake twice. I think  my new OS is good, but it's hard to trust others when one put me through the ringer with a procedure that was wrong form the beginning. I would also like to know if it is really painful, when did you start therapy etc.

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Please help-1st surgery went bad-Fulkerson only option-need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 01:43:16 PM »
I've only had one TTT on each knee (Elmslie Trillat, which is very similar to a Fulkersons) and they have both worked wonderfully, if your knee is still not tracking properly then it is causing more and more arthritis as your kneecap rubs against the other bones.  Its really a case of you having to decide which OS you trust the most, the one that has already done a failed procedure or this new guy who is offering a potential solution, I know it can be very hard to decide what is best when we are not the "professionals" but it is your knee so you have to be as sure as you can be in the circumstances.  If your knee is still causing you problems I, personally, would go with the new guy, speak to him again and get all the information you can and then perhaps try this new procedure (but remember I am not a medical person, this is just what I would do, doesn't mean its the right thing to do!), I've been extremely lucky with my TTTs so am probably a bit biased as where there are a few people who have had bad experiences like yourself who may advise the opposite.  All I know is that if your knee is still maltracking then its still causing damage to the cartilage and your arthritis will be getting more and more severe as time goes on (like mine did!).  Good luck with whatever you decide is the best way to go.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:25:45 AM »
Natali,

Thank you very much for the info. It makes me feel alot better knowing that there are people out there who have had this done and have a good outcome. The last surgery I had done, the old OS sliced me from the middle of my thigh to my shin (13 inches to be exact) I look like I had TKR. You can understand my anxiety. I do trust the new OS, he is very good. I do have a qustion though, do the screws have to be taken out at some point or are they permanently left?

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 12:51:15 PM »
Hi,

I had a FIlkerson's just over two years ago. The surgery itself was successful in as much as, my OS achieved what he wanted to at the time. We later found out it didn't work for me though. I started physio a week after surgery, which was really painful, but it was controlled with decent pain meds and anti-inflammatory drugs. I was on crutches and partial weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. During that time, things seemed to get easier once I put in a real effort with rehab. My scar was only about 2 1/2 inches long and the screws in my leg are permanent.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 08:05:34 AM »
nobetter,

Your screws can be left in forever as long as they are not causing you any problems, the screw is still in my first TTT done 10 years ago and it doesn't bother me at all, my second TTT I had to have the screw removed as it started backing out on its own.  >:(

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »
I had a TTT Fulkerson 3 years ago when I was 25. It was very succesfull and in my case the screws are still in my shin. I was on cruthes PWB 3 weeks, then  3 weeks of PT. I was off work 12 weeks and running again 5 months after the procedure.

Good luck deciding! I am very happy I had the Fulkerson and would do it again! Raheb isn't easy but it has all been worth it in the end!!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline no better

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »
Thank you all very much for the helpful information. I do feel much better knowing that there are people out there that have had this and it worked. It has been very difficult this past year living with the pain that I have been in form my last surgery that was a catastrophy and ungodly painful. If there is anything else that you can think of that would give me anymore info, please let me know.