Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hurt shoulder because of crutches?! Really scared...:(  (Read 40904 times)

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hurt shoulder because of crutches?! Really scared...:(
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
Pinched nerves are definitely no fun. These next couple of weeks will seem REALLLLY long, but just get as much rest as you can and you will heal faster! The B6 supplement speeds up the healing a bit, so be sure to take it every morning with breakfast. :) *hugs* I hope you get better soon!

Thank you so much!! *hug back* :D Yesterday my OTHER hand started hurting as well, so now I'm trying to rest them both as much as possible. Well, not possible at work, but it's only 5 days and I have a one week break. Just what are the odds to pinch a nerve in both shoulders? Just my unbelievable luck! Now I have to work as I can and then rest them for the rest of the day. I'm taking vitamines every morning with breakfast now, so thank you so much for the tip concerning B6! I'll keep u posted how the recovery goes.  :)

I actually did the same thing! My left arm was a little sore/prickly, but not nearly as bad as my right arm. Just try to rest your shoulders and arms as much as possible. Be sure to do your stretches twice a day as well. *hugs*
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Never grow up :)
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 10:32:52 AM »
Maybe you should also try Cod Liver Oil capsules containing Omega 3 Oils, as they are really good for bones and the joints, I take them and they really do help.

Just a thought

Dee x

I'll try if I can find some of those capsules. Thanks for the tip, Dee!  :)

I actually did the same thing! My left arm was a little sore/prickly, but not nearly as bad as my right arm. Just try to rest your shoulders and arms as much as possible. Be sure to do your stretches twice a day as well. *hugs*

Thanks Dr. Nekomimi  :)  I try rest them after work as much as possible, eat my vitamines and do stretches.  ;)

Currently at work, suffering..  My right shoulder is killing me  :'( :'( (much more painful than the left one)...the elbows seem to get more painful towards the end of the day, which means they are less bad than shoulders at this time of day (it's 12:30 pm here). Haven't said anything about this to my boss so far, I just cannot. He would not take it well, since it's only last week I last talked about my leg problems to him...so I'll just have to bear.

It's only 4 days after this and I'll have my one week break...only 4 days more...only 4 days more...*chanting*  :P

Only 3 more hours and it's home...ice, ice...lots of ice. And then only 4 more days after that. Thank you so much for being there!! *hugs*

31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 12:05:29 PM »
Awww! The typing definitely doesn't help I know!

I do a lot of work online, and it was so hard when I did have to type and use my mouse. Every time I clicked, I had shooting pains through my elbow and my neck. I never want to go through that again. >_<;
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 12:21:11 PM »
Awww! The typing definitely doesn't help I know!

I do a lot of work online, and it was so hard when I did have to type and use my mouse. Every time I clicked, I had shooting pains through my elbow and my neck. I never want to go through that again. >_<;

You just described my workday right noWWW! OW!!  :'( :'( :'(  I've been typing a lot today...oooowwww....my shoulders...elbows :-\ :'( I apologize for being such a baby...but whining does help me right now *grin*

Best of luck, that u never never NEVER have to suffer from this again...

I'm now going to try acupuncture. Got a referral from my GP. What the heck, we can at least give it a try. Also informed my PT of the situation to see if he has some extra tips. I'm really trying my best to do everything in my power to help myself in this situation. 

Typing does hurt, as I'm in a LOT of pain right now, but I would go nuts without this forum. Thanks for being there!  :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline csangel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 02:53:27 PM »
I've been on crutches recently (awaiting op next week) and had problems with pains in my wrists, but not nerve related. Just wanted to back up everyone's advice and say we're all here for you!

Lucy

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 04:03:25 PM »
I've been on crutches recently (awaiting op next week) and had problems with pains in my wrists, but not nerve related. Just wanted to back up everyone's advice and say we're all here for you!

Lucy

Thank you so much!!  :D Yesterday the pains were 9 (on the level of 1 to 10) and today maybe 8. Difficult enough, but not just as bad. Best of luck with your operation, Lucy!! Keep us posted how things go  :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
One-week-update.

Now little over a week when this blinding pain in my shoulder started. Both are painful, but right is clearly worse. Shoulder is SO bad today...usually it's either elbows or the shoulder. Yesterday elbows were killing me when I got home, shoulder kicked in later, killing me in the evening and through the night. Today shoulder has been throbbing all day...elbows are easier. Muscles in the shoulder and arm are so painful... :-\

Writing is a pain, typing is a pain..pretty much everything is a pain. Almost every night I've been crying myself to sleep...hoping the pain would go away. Every minute I'm afraid the knees will kick in again (they are not as bad now). Maybe nature does it so, that we only feel one pain on its worst at a time, that now the pain in my knees has been "silenced", when hands are worse. Most likely they will be felt again, when hands are better.

This week has been a living hell... :'(...next week I have my fall break from work. If that does nothing to the pain, I'm going to see my GP again. I'm now going to try acupuncture, got my first appointment on November 9th.

Next week I will order pizza some day...reflux disease be damned. One day I'm allowed to enjoy eating  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »
Hi ChrisAngel

Also I think maybe you could get your employers to get you some support for your back, as bad posture can lead to all sorts of problems. I work in an office and my Physiotherapist told me that bad posture causes anything from leg/shoulder pains and many more. Also you should get some good wrist and elbow support.

Hope you are feeling a bit better, take care.

Hugs Dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 04:22:29 PM »
ChrisAngel,
I have no other advice than you have already been given. I Just want to say I feel for you. Try to be kind to yourself and remember NOTHING is as important as your health and well being. Not your work or boss. I know that not many people are fortunate enough to not have to work, but really in the bigger picture, you must nurture yourself. Sending you love and positive thoughts. Take care, good people are thinking about you X Judy.
 (PS Ive have heard about a supplement called SAM which is supposed to lift your mood as well as being good for bones and joints).
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 10:55:55 PM »
Hi ChrisAngel

Also I think maybe you could get your employers to get you some support for your back, as bad posture can lead to all sorts of problems. I work in an office and my Physiotherapist told me that bad posture causes anything from leg/shoulder pains and many more. Also you should get some good wrist and elbow support.

Hope you are feeling a bit better, take care.

Hugs Dee x

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Dee!  ;) I too work in an office (tiny room for me to fit in) and try pay attention on how I sit in front of the computer. I have a good chair, but as it often is, the table level is not adjustable. I have a footstool and a thick pillow on it under the computertable so I can keep my legs straight when I work long periods. That helps with the knees. The handrests on the chair are pretty short, but the back of the chair is up to my neck and adjustable.

The keyboard of the computer is placed on this level, that slides from under the narrow shelf (not a table) the computer is on, so there is no room for a "pillowy" wrist support...and it's not that ergonomic either. But that cannot be altered due to the structure computer is on. Above it is only a narrow shelf the computer is on. The computer unit is next to the writing table, so I just turn around in my chair to face the computer or the table. 

I switch the mouse from one hand to another all the time, since I can work it with both hands. Had to learn it, when I first had wrist problems about 5 years ago. I really recommend learning to use mouse with both hands for everyone, who have suffered from wrist pains!

Today I worked all day left-handed with the mouse, since the shoulder was so bad. Back has been causing troubles for a couple of days now too...

ChrisAngel,
I have no other advice than you have already been given. I Just want to say I feel for you. Try to be kind to yourself and remember NOTHING is as important as your health and well being. Not your work or boss. I know that not many people are fortunate enough to not have to work, but really in the bigger picture, you must nurture yourself. Sending you love and positive thoughts. Take care, good people are thinking about you X Judy.
 (PS Ive have heard about a supplement called SAM which is supposed to lift your mood as well as being good for bones and joints).

Thank you so much, Judey!!  :)

I really am overwhelmed by the support everyone is showing here...*teary* :'( For the tenth time, THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL!! *hugs*

Now I have a one-week-holiday and I try rest my hands as much as possible. If the pains are not better in a week, I go see my GP again. Then I'm afraid I have to get sick-leave from work. My boss will not like it (he is a bit difficult to handle when it comes to my pains...too much absence because of legs already during my time there), but we'll see it then. Right now I will concentrate on watching some good movies, having some goodies to eat and just relax.

Happy news for today: I just learned from my brother today, that my little niece will be christened in 3 weeks. On father's day, which here in Finland is on November 13th. The little bit is such a cutie it brings a smile to my face just to look at her photos ;)

Thanks again to ya all, enjoy ur weekend!!

Auntie Chris  ;)
*~
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline jillo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 04:00:13 AM »
Chris, I'm just wondering if you have the type of crutches that go under your armpits or the ones that you put your arms through the loop?  I found the latter 100% easier to deal with.

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 10:59:58 AM »
Chris, I'm just wondering if you have the type of crutches that go under your armpits or the ones that you put your arms through the loop?  I found the latter 100% easier to deal with.

In Finland and Europe we have the type of crutches that end to your elbows. I found a picture of crutches, that look similar to ours. Have a look here: http://image.wisdomking.com/images/pictures/0/101/photo_1.jpg

The pressure in those is hard on the elbows, and that is why I cannot use crutches at all right now.
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 10:10:53 PM »
Hi Chris, your very welcome, we are always here for you.

I looked at the picture of your crutches and they are similar to mine, I only use one at the moment, but will soon be back on two, because of my upcoming surgery.  I also have pain in my wrist, elbow and shoulder, now going into my back, I also have a curvature of the spine, but luckily for me I only work part-time, so I am able to rest a lot, which really helps.

I am so glad you are off work for a week, you can have a good rest and pamper yourself, and hopefully you will get some good relief from your pain. I also have 2 weeks off before my surgery and plan to have a very good rest.

Oh and I hope you have a great time at your nieces christening on the 13th.

Hugs Dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

Offline jillo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 03:53:42 AM »
Chris, I asked because my shoulder pain was eliminated by switching to the kind of crutch you have from the under arm type.  Maybe check out this site which has a lot of different crutches, including ones with shock absorbers, orthopaedic grips for the sore-wristed (under accessories) and other nifty stuff.

http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/showcase.html

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »
Hi Chris, your very welcome, we are always here for you.

I looked at the picture of your crutches and they are similar to mine, I only use one at the moment, but will soon be back on two, because of my upcoming surgery.  I also have pain in my wrist, elbow and shoulder, now going into my back, I also have a curvature of the spine, but luckily for me I only work part-time, so I am able to rest a lot, which really helps.

I am so glad you are off work for a week, you can have a good rest and pamper yourself, and hopefully you will get some good relief from your pain. I also have 2 weeks off before my surgery and plan to have a very good rest.

Oh and I hope you have a great time at your nieces christening on the 13th.

Hugs Dee x

Thanks, Deedee and best of luck with your upcoming operation! Keep us posted how things go and best wishes that they manage to fix you proprely!  ;)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue