Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hurt shoulder because of crutches?! Really scared...:(  (Read 37493 times)

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Never grow up :)
Hurt shoulder because of crutches?! Really scared...:(
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:32:37 AM »
I've read about many people that have hurt their shoulders badly due to the use of crutches. That never has really been an issue for me before...until last night. I know it can be just something else, but the mere thought of hurting my shoulder as well, is scaring the s**t out of me!! :'(  How am I supposed to walk, when I cannot use crutches because of the hurt shoulder?!? How can one be, when all the body parts betray?

For now I've survived somehow with using only one crutch, because of the other leg being worse. Which is the same side that now is hurting, my right shoulder. I also use the crutch most with my right hand. I'm right-handed as well, so it would make writing really hard if it continues...My shoulders make this funny sound if move them backwards and last night I somehow got worried about it (never bothered me before, dunno why it got me last night). I did the movement a few times, examining the sound. That could have made my shoulder ache. Or it could be, that since that is the hand I use the crutch with, it just got irritated because I was stupid and made the sound again and again to examine it.  It did NOT hurt before I went and made the sound. Could it have just gotten irritated?

The pain kept me somewhat awake and was not gone in the morning. I tried heat, but didn't work. Next I think I'll try icing it. I'm just so worried that what if this won't go away?! I cannot afford having a hurt shoulder AND hurt knees and hurt ankles at the same time....God!!  >:( :-\ Thank God my back is not that bad right now...

I don't know how to be right now...having a day off from work (I work 4 days a week) but tomorrow should work again. Cannot type more than this, since it hurts to my shoulder. God, how will I survive work tomorrow...where I TYPE all day?!? God, I could just cry... :'(

Sorry for being such a baby, but I just cannot afford yet ANOTHER joint becoming hurt! The pain is mostly in the shoulder itself, but also radiates downwards to my entire hand. Is it just muscle pain, that will go away, or something else..?

I'm really scared. Maybe for nothing, but every new pain that comes just makes life even more difficult to handle..

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:34:38 AM by ChrisAngel »
31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
Re: Hurt shoulder because of crutches?! Really scared...:(
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »
I'm so sorry you have to go through this!

I have had a horrible time with crutches. I was using crutches for a couple of months and then pinched my ulnar nerve in my right arm/shoulder and irritated my old spinal injury--which I have to say this was all more painful than my knee injury. Heat and ice did not help the pain. The only thing I could do was take my pain medication and do arm/shoulder stretches (and be sure not to sleep with your arms curled up at night). I also supplemented vitamin b6 into my diet, which someone here recommended (i ate kashi heart to heart o's). It seemed to help a lot, but it took my nerve about 3 weeks to heal up and stop throbbing.

As much as I didn't want to, I switched to a wheelchair. Crutches are not good for the human structure in my opinion, even if you do use them "correctly." A lot of people switch to walkers or canes, so you might want to find out what is best for you!

Best of luck to you!
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »
Thanks for your sympathy, Nekomimi and best of luck with your situation! So sorry to hear it has been so tough for you  :-\

The worst thing is not knowing what causes this. As it only started last night, it also can go away...or not. I dunno why, but the shoulder pain feels all the way down ty my hand. I have to make a fist and open it at times, because the hand feels somewhat odd. Not numb, but still odd. Any clue what this might be?

I have a strong feeling I irritated the pain myself last night, when making the shoulder to "crackle" time after time. It's never bothered me before, so I now I cannot understand why I had to make so last nite! I just got somehow worried of the sound and made it a couple of times to examine it, which now led to a hurt shoulder. Please let this go away, I CANNOT afford a hurt shoulder as well! I live at home and my mom is already taking care of my father, who has been home only 2 weeks after being in a hospital for 2,5 months because of cancer surgery. Basically there is no one to offer spiritual help for me, as my mom is already so worn out. Cannot go whine about my pains to anyone right now..

I type a lot in my work, so also afraid how will I survive there as well... :'( Of course it has to be the hand I write with that is now hurt. Hurt shoulder, I can feel it all the way down to my palms and fingers. ODD!

RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 02:57:50 PM »
ChrisAngel

Sorry you're in pain right now, but please don't apologise for whining - it feels good to let it all out now and again.

I'm no Doctor but it sounds like you might have pinched a nerve - have you got more of a tingling sensation that a numb one?
It might be worth getting yourself checked over at your GP's.

Good luck
Beth  ;D
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 04:15:08 PM »
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I do understand what you are going through, it is scary knowing that you are causing yourself more injury by using crutches.

I have been using crutches for nearly two years now after a failed Osteotomy, and I will have to continue to it them until they sort my leg out.

I now wear wristbands and elbow support for the pain, and sometimes my arms are so weak I  cant even pick up a cup, but I need to use my crutch because I cant use a walker or a cane.

My Doctor did offer me steroid injections for the pain, but I said no, I will leave it until I cant take the pain anymore.  Maybe you could talk to your Doctor about it and see what he says.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »
Hi! Typing is a real task now, but gotta thank you for your concern! Then I need to ask about what was said. What does it mean that one pinches a nerve? Just making sure I understood u correctly (english is not my native tongue). Is it serious? I'm not actually sure how does the sensation feel...tingling..not exactly, maybe just a bit, but not exactly, just somewhat stiff (really difficult to find the right word in english...). And like I need to move the hand by closing and opening my fist at times. The muscles of the hand are achey all over, the upper arm, elbow, lower arm. It is really difficult to find a position where I could rest the arm, when lying down. Feels like it hurts in whatever position. The shoulder joint itself hurts the most..

This is strange. I just hurt it overnight. REALLY strange. Can one hurt one's own arm by doing something this stupid (the crackling I did)? Geez.. Shouldn't have done that. Stupid, stupid me!! I just hate myself right now. If this continues, life will be REALLY difficult...with work and all. I will have a holiday-week from work, but only after next week. Why couldn't this happen not now, but next week? Why does timing have to suck always so much!!  :-\

I tried a cane here at home (we have one in the closet, that my granny used when she was alive) and I couldn't use it. Just didn't offer enough support. Gotta try the crutch tomorrow with the good hand.. We'll see how it goes at work tomorrow. Luckily I can use mouse with both hands, but typing will be a problem. Maybe I can survive one day...next week willl be seen then.

Just in case, I just booked an appointment for my GP for tomorrow. Would it not be thursday, I might've waited a couple of days, but cannot make myself wait over the weekend. It will at least give some peace of mind. I can be such a weasel when I get scared over pains.. :-\

Thanks so much for listening the whinings and good luck for you too!  ;) Sometimes it helps a little just to let it all out.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 04:59:24 PM by ChrisAngel »
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 05:21:38 PM »
For the pain to be running down to your hand, it DOES sound like a pinched nerve. Using crutches usually compresses or damages the ulnar or radial nerve. when these nerves (which supply feeling and motion to your muscles) are compressed or exposed to repetitive damage, they will swell like any injury--but nerve pain is very intense in comparision. If you are having trouble opening or moving your fingers, this is another sign of damage to the nerves. You may want to see your doctor who can prescribe pain medication for you.

I did not go to the doctor due to my insurance situation. I just put away the crutches and researched recovery methods. The best thing to do is:

1) immobilize your arm at night. Wrap your arm up in a towel to remind yourself to keep your arm straight while sleeping. Sleeping with your arms curled up can damage it further.
2)Take your anti-inflammatories on a schedule.
3) Supplement vitamin B6.
4) Do stretches. Stretch your arms in flowing motions straight out to your sides, then curl. Then straight out to the front and curl. Also be sure to stretch your neck and shoulders. I found it easier to do this while lying down flat on my back on the floor.
5) Be patient. Nerves take longer to heal, and it is not a fun ride.

Some more information on the nerves in your arms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 06:23:40 PM »
Thanks, Nekomimi! I'll ask about the nerve-thing tomorrow when I have the appontment to my GP after work. Feels really strange, how an injury could strike so fast. But maybe some does..

I have pain killers (paracetamol) for my knees, I'll take one of those for the nite (it's about bedtime here in Finland).
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline jennknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 06:30:44 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's trouble.  I only used crutches for awhile but the nurse made a big deal about where the crutches touched my body and how I leaned on them.   My shoulder never hurt but my sides (ribs), arms and hands did. I thought my crutches were too low but she said not have them under my arm and push them into my body.  This made it tolerable for me because otherwise my shoulders did hurt. This is the first time I heard of crutches harming you.  I wish everyone well and thanks for the info.
~ 28 YRS Old~
June 27, 2005 -ACL complete tear (right knee)
Sept 22, 2005 -ACL Reconstruction (hamstring)

~33 YRS Old~
May 1, 1010 - ACL complete tear (left knee)
August 12, 2010 - ACL Reconstruction (Allograft)

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 06:48:24 PM »
Just so you know, I actually didn't get a pinched nerve until I used the crutches "correctly." ^_^

And my pain came on very fast as well, ChrisAngel.

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's trouble.  I only used crutches for awhile but the nurse made a big deal about where the crutches touched my body and how I leaned on them.   My shoulder never hurt but my sides (ribs), arms and hands did. I thought my crutches were too low but she said not have them under my arm and push them into my body.  This made it tolerable for me because otherwise my shoulders did hurt. This is the first time I heard of crutches harming you.  I wish everyone well and thanks for the info.

Thank you so much for your sympathy! You are very lucky to have survived crutches without problems! I'm happy some of us are spared. I've had my share of back problems because of crutches, chest muscle pains etc. But not shoulders so far. This is the first time crutches have caused me harm, and I have at least been using them every now and then for several years now. But I guess it might strike to anyone...and fast, as Nekomimi said. Funny that I was not ON crutches when the pain came, but doing something as stupid, as listening the crackle, making more of it. Sorry to repeat that, I'm just so angry to myself for that!!

I feel a bit ashamed of having yet ANOTHER NEW problem in my body to tell about my GP. He is a very nice man, but still I feel a bit embarrassed of going there all the time, with a new problem on every visit (well, not exactly, since knees most often are the issue, but still). But I guess I just have to hold my head high, since who is gonna take care of me, if not me myself! Trying to prep myself for tomorrow...I know he would never laugh or anything, but cannot help of feeling like I'm making myself ridiculous...

I'm not shopping for a new pain every week, like people say to me at times. My mom for example. I know it's difficult to believe me, since I make such a big number out of any pain I have. But it's just because I'm afraid of pain. I hate it and if some NEW pain strikes, I just loose it. I've had so much pain, you'd think I'll know how to handle it. But I can't. My pain is not that small, that I could just ignore it. So I see it's up to me to get help.

There...little venting done again. I'll let u know what the GP says tomorrow then. Thanks again to you all!

RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 11:19:15 AM »
So. Saw my GP yesterday.

He said it very well can be that I've pinched a nerve, but time will tell. He prescribed me with some pain medication and that pretty much was it. Doctors really don't do much with these type of injuries and time alone most often heals them. Great. So now stuck with this hand I can do almost nothing with. And it just happens to be the hand I write with. Can do nothing.

But oh wait, I have to do work. *sarcastic smile*

Dunno how I'm gonna survive next week...I type a LOT daily in my work. Afraid to tell my boss, since he is already so pissed with my continuous leg problems. Next thing I know, I'll have no job anymore!

One week and I'll have my fall break (a week-lenght). Counting on that...oh god why cannot it be *now*, but not still a week away... :'( My shoulder is hurting pretty badly today. Yesterday at work was nothign but pain, even if I tried to spare my arm as much as possible. But there is only so much u can do with one hand...with most u do need those two arms, like typing. Missed meeting some friends yesterday, since there was no way I could have driven a car with this hand (as shitfs are on the right...)!

Sorry, I'm just on a bad mood today. World is grey and hopeless... :-\

I try rest my hand now, so no more typing today (already had to write some work-related long due emails...OW!!). I found this vitamine-combination (not a tablet, but a drinkable one), that includes vitamine B6. So I am trying everything can.

PS. I just realized, that out of the 12 limb-joints (hands and legs) us humans have, I have now hurted 7. Interesting math.. ;) Only my left arm is a limb that is fully functioning at the moment. Yippeeh...*sarcastic smile*

« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 11:28:11 AM by ChrisAngel »
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 03:57:46 PM »
Pinched nerves are definitely no fun. These next couple of weeks will seem REALLLLY long, but just get as much rest as you can and you will heal faster! The B6 supplement speeds up the healing a bit, so be sure to take it every morning with breakfast. :) *hugs* I hope you get better soon!

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 01:09:18 PM »
Pinched nerves are definitely no fun. These next couple of weeks will seem REALLLLY long, but just get as much rest as you can and you will heal faster! The B6 supplement speeds up the healing a bit, so be sure to take it every morning with breakfast. :) *hugs* I hope you get better soon!

Thank you so much!! *hug back* :D Yesterday my OTHER hand started hurting as well, so now I'm trying to rest them both as much as possible. Well, not possible at work, but it's only 5 days and I have a one week break. Just what are the odds to pinch a nerve in both shoulders? Just my unbelievable luck! Now I have to work as I can and then rest them for the rest of the day. I'm taking vitamines every morning with breakfast now, so thank you so much for the tip concerning B6! I'll keep u posted how the recovery goes.  :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »
Maybe you should also try Cod Liver Oil capsules containing Omega 3 Oils, as they are really good for bones and the joints, I take them and they really do help.

Just a thought

Dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

support