Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: rough time at college  (Read 1303 times)

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Behind the Jersey
rough time at college
« on: October 19, 2005, 05:49:08 PM »
Hey everyone-

It's been awhile since I've posted on this board but that's because I've been settling into college (I'm a freshman at University of Michigan). Anyways like some of you know, I've had 6 surgeries (ACL, 4 medial meniscus repairs/removals, & exploratory scope). I'm currently waiting for a medial meniscus transplant (since I have none left) and an ACL revision. I have other problems (kneecap sublaxes 50%, LCL way too loose, arthritic changes, etc), but none requiring surgery as of right now.

Anyways a little over 2 weeks ago, my knee completely buckled, popped, and I immediately felt a sharp pain on the left back side of my bad knee. I was just standing with an equal amount of weight on both legs by the way. Since then, my knee has popped another time, partially given, unstable, I feel like something is catching, and I went to turn right (pivoting on my good leg) and my kneecap totally went left on the bad leg and that really hurt (never happened before). Personally, I think I might have torn my lateral meniscus (which I have not done before this, everything bad was on the medial side) because whenever I walk it's constantly hurting and unlike my medial side, the pain subsides when I get off of it. On the medial side, where I always hurt, it's just a constant pain and while activity makes it worse, it never goes away unlike this new injury where just staying off of it really helps...

I'm going to try to make an appointment with my surgeon, but he's in Cinci (Dr. Noyes) and I doubt anything would happen since we're waiting for insurance and a donor for my surgery and if I did tear my meniscus, he could just work on it whenever I have that surgery (but I've already been waiting 8 months with no luck in either finding a donor or getting my surgery approved).

I'm just struggling with pain at college because UMich has such a big campus and I'm not supposed to use crutches/brace b/c my quads will atrophy too much and I'm away from my family (even tho home is only 30 minutes away so I'll go home for appts or really bad pain days) where no one understands my pain and problem. So if you guys just wouldn't mind praying (if you do) because I just am having a hard time with my knee situation here (classes are going well tho).

Thanks,
Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: rough time at college
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 06:52:40 PM »
Christy -

It won't be long before your good friends at college know what's going on with your knee, and can offer you some support.  I don't know if it's an option for you, but some campises will let you bring a car onto campus, even as an underclassman, with medical needs.  Assuming you have a car, and that your doctor would write the letter explaining your requirements, and you can get a handicapped parking permit from the state.  I know it's a lot of "ifs", but it may make it a bit easier to get around to your classes.  Hang in there - your meniscus and insurance will eventually come through, and you will feel a lot better.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: rough time at college
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:07:49 PM »
Christy,

Sorry the knees are not cooperating.  This is suposed to be one of the most fun times of your life.  Like Jess said, soon your friends at school will start to understand your problems and be able to give you support. Always remember that we are here for you whenever you need us.  Sending up a prayer for you.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006