Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: vena Cava filter Yes or No  (Read 815 times)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
vena Cava filter Yes or No
« on: October 20, 2005, 03:52:24 PM »
Cross posted Knee Arthritis/ TKR and 
General Knee questions and comments

Well itís finally going to happen, I have my RK TKR scheduled for Dec 1st , 19 months after it was first scheduled. 

I have had 2 DVTs and both ended up as multiple bilateral PE (pulmonary embolus).  Most of the OSs I talked to suggest that I have a filter put in the Vena Cava to prevent the possibility of another PE.  I survived an ankle fusion, and MSRA infection and a major accident last year with multiple injuries, where I was unable to move around with out a wheel chair for about 6 weeks.  I am on coumadin for life and maintain my INR at about 2. 

I have an appointment on Oct 31 with a vascular surgeon to talk about this.  The OS that will be doing my knee (only does Knee and hip replacements - DR Berend -http://www.jointimplantsurgeons.com/ ) suggested a ĎTulipí or removable filter.  Others have suggested the ĎGreenfieldí filter which is permanent. 
Iíve been reading up on the filters and am not very happy with what Iíve seen.  The permanent ones can cause lower extremity swelling; I already have that since the broken ankle. And the removable ones are only removable for a short period of time 2-3 weeks; my first PE was 1 month after I broke my ankle plus I plan to have the other knee done towards the end of March(during  DH spring break ).

Has anyone had a filter put in?
If so what type did you have and why.

Iím trying to figure out if the risk for a PE is greater than the risk of the surgery to insert the filter?  These are usually inserted through the Jugular vein.

Any help, suggestions or encouragement would be appreciated

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85†
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR† Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
Re: vena Cava filter Yes or No
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 04:26:36 PM »
Hi Rozzzie

Wow, you have been through a lot.

I don't really know much about having a filter put in, so all I can offer is words of encouragement, I hope all goes will for you when you have your surgery on Dec 1st, I will be thinking of you.

It is scared having surgery, because we all take our legs for granted until something happens, and its only when you have a problem we realise how much we depend on our legs.  I am having surgery myself after a failed Osteotomy, and I have to use crutches which I really hate, and I always feel like people are watching me, so hopefully they will be able to fix both of us when we have our surgeries in the coming months.

Good luck and all the best, let me know how your surgery goes and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Hugs Dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement † † † † † † † † † † † † † ††
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:35:13 PM »
Hi Rozzie

I know some of the fellow TKR's have had those filters on the knee replacement forum I belong to. If you don't get much input here then try delphiforums onyourfeet /jointreplacement. Some have had the permanent kind and some the temporary kind. This is a forum for knee replacements and very good supportive info. It has helped me thru my TKR. But your consult with the vascular surgeon should put your mind at ease. With your history , you don't want to take a chance.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:24:35 PM »
Dee,  Thanks for the encouragement, it really means a lot to me.

Pam, Thanks for the reply, I'll go check out the onyourfeet site. Thanks

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85†
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR† Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support