Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cadaver Graft Questions  (Read 1388 times)

Offline ACLGirl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Cadaver Graft Questions
« on: October 19, 2005, 03:55:35 AM »
I am scheduled to have my ACL surgery on October 31, 2005. I have decided to do the cadaver graft because my doctor explained my choices with me. He said that because I am flexible and double jointed that the procedure to use the hamstring would not be a good choice for me. I am a dancer and I am 30 years old. He said that his gymnist and dancers complained more when the had the petella reconstruction surgery. So, I think I have decided to take my chances and go with the cadaver.

I do have a questions for anyone who wants to answer (who has had the cadaver graft ACL surgery).

1. How soon were you able to go back to work after the surgery? I keep hearing different stories. My doctor said some of his patient were able to back to work one week after the surgery. (That sounded a little crazy to me.)
2. How long did it take you to not be afraid to walk on your leg after the surgery?
3. Did you put all your body weight on your leg after the surgery?
4. What type of problems are you experiencing since the surgery with your knee?
5. Finally, how did you prepare for the surgery 3 - 5 weels before? (I am thinking about going to see a trainer before my surgery).
6. What type of excersises did you do?
7. Which surgery is better for a dancer?
8. Did you sleep with your ice machine on throughout the night?

ALCGirl ???
Yolanda

Offline vblefty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Cadaver Graft Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:11:27 PM »
I selected the "Cadaver Graft" ACL surgery and I am very pleased with the results.

I had my surgery on January 10, 2004.  I was back to work a week later (I have a desk job, so I figured out a way that I could sit at my desk with my leg up on a chair).  Fortunately, I own an automatic transmission car and I injured my left leg, so I could also drive myself to work.

The hospital had me up on crutches (and a locked brace) about 24 hours after my surgery.  I was walking without crutches but with a brace by week 2 post op.  I think was brace free about 4-5 weeks post-op.

I am now just over 8 months post op and I have had no major issues with my knee.  It swells a little when I excercise and I have noticed that my knee tends to "sweat" a little more, but I have no pain.  I am back to playing sports (I wear a custom fitted brace when I play volleyball) and overall, I feel even stronger than before my surgery.  In fact, I took up running as part of my rehab program and I am planning to run my first 5k in a month (I don't wear a brace when I run).

I worked with a PT pre-op for about a month to get my leg as strong as possible before my surgery.  I also worked with a PT post op for about 2 months.  I also went to the gym 2-3 times a day to do the excercises that my PT give me.  I was back playing sports in 5 months.

My advice is to be diligent with whatever rehab program your doctor and/or PT outlines for you post-op.  Your knee will not heal if you just sit and do nothing.

Good Luck!

Torn ACL
Allograph/Patella Surgery 1/10/05

Offline sartracker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:15:18 PM »
Hi! My 16 yo daughter had a cadaver graft July 26.  At 6 weeks she was allowed to start running, although slowly. At 8 weeks she was cleared from PT.  After a minor setback at 9 weeks (a pulled muscle - but she was hysterical until she knew that was all it was) she is now back to running and kicking the soccer ball. She was supposed to wait until Nov. 1 but she called the OS and he said if she felt okay to go ahead.   I think this is week 13.  She went to a wedding party this weekend and danced for over 4 hours.  Her feet hurt from all the dancing but her knee was fine.
To answer your questions:
1. She started back to school 2 weeks after the surgery. This included walking to classes and climbing stairs.
2. She walked with the crutches for about 3 days when I was looking. She hated those things and I'd find them in the closest.  ::)
3. Yes, she did walk on her own from the bed to the bathroom several times the evening after her morning surgery and in the first couple of days with just a little discomfort.
4. Sometimes she had some swelling after being on it a lot but never very much pain.  She would just elevate and ice. At night during the first couple of weeks when she finally settled down she would have more pain and need a little something to help her sleep.
5/6. She worked out in the pool by holding a floatie and gently kicking her legs.  After the swelling from the initial injury (in June) went down, she was not allowed to use crutches and the OS told her to build up her quad as much as she could. She also was never braced and had good ROM going into surgery.  She was walking and driving until the day of her surgery.  She also saw the PT 3 times before surgery and he had her doing some exercises but I don't remember what kind.
7. Kelly is an aggressive soccer player. She is also a teenager so does a lot of dancing although probably different from what a trained dancer/gymnast does.  She is chomping at the bit to get back to playing competitive soccer but has resigned herself to holding off from any contact until Feb.1 which will be 6 months.  She does play friendly games with friends though and at this point has no swelling or pain.
8. She had a continous motion machine and used ice packs for the first 2 weeks.  She also used the ice pack anytime her knee was swollen but hasn't used it in over 2 weeks now.  She never had a brace after the surgery.  She had a knee immobilizer for the first 3 days but it went into the closest with the crutches.  8)

She is very happy with the results of her ACL recon. but I've noticed that she is more aware of what she's doing and how her knee feels and better at stretching out before any type of exercise.  Her OS gave her a short DVD of stretches that she does esp. before soccer but also at other times.  She is also lifting weights - both upper and lower body.  Even with all of her pre and post therapy there was some reduction of the thigh muscles on her affected leg.  Her OS said that his guide to her being fully recovered is when the strength and size of each leg match.  At that point he will have her fitted for an ACL brace to wear when she's playing competitive soccer. That's her goal right now.

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.  Kitty  :D

PS: She does read what I write here but doesn't seem to have the time to sit and write it herself. Ah, to be 16 again! NOT!  :P

Offline clesher

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »
Hi!  I had a tibialis allograft (cadaver graft) put in in January of this year. My doctor does allografts and autografts, but recommended an allograft for me because of my age (46), my need for a relatively quick recovery, and because I wanted to be able to kneel easily soon afterwards.
I was out of the hospital that day, and not in terrible pain.  Just tired.  I was weight bearing immediately and off crutches in a week.  I have to go up 3 flights of stairs just to get to my classroom and I need to move about the room, so I took 3 weeks off.  I think I could have gone back after two, but I had the sick days coming to me!
I was exercising from the day of the injury to the morning of the surgery.  (I waited almost 2 years to have the reconstruction done!) Before the surgery, I did yoga, pilates, some weight lifting, swimming, hiking, snowshoeing,  and stationary biking.   (I quit dancing because the pivoting and high impact bothered my knee. It's been great to be able to start that again!)
I started simple exercises the day of surgery and was back to biking and basic yoga/pilates in about 2 weeks.  I haven't gone to any physical therapy.  I never used any ice.  By the way, I have 3 small portal marks and a 2-3 inch vertical scar below my knee from the operation.
At 9 months post-op, I feel great.  I am so glad I had the surgery done.   Most of the time, I'm not even aware of what knee was operated on.  That may be a danger because I might do something dumb!  You never know what can go wrong, even 9 months afterwards.
Despite living with a torn acl for 2 years, my doctor didn't find any further problems when he had a look inside my knee.  The amount of work done when the surgeon actually gets in the knee really affects your recovery. 
Good luck.  Hope I answered some of your questions.  Carole

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 02:32:53 AM »
I had the acl reconstruction with an allograft  in Feb. 2004.  My OS had me using the ice machine (yep, I used it all night too and loved it) and a constant passive motion machine ( loved it too).  I was never in a locked brace.  He sent me home the same day in an immobilizer until I could get my acl brace on if i was up and about.  However I was to stay in bed for 5 days and use the machines.  I was able to fully bend my knee (yep, almost all the way to my butt) within 3 days.  By the four th day, I had very little pain and was not using pain med at all.  The machines are essential to full recovery and fast.  At day 5, when allowed to get up for a while I used crutches, by day 7, I was using a cane and by day 8,  I was not using anything but my brace.  I am a paramedic and by day 11 was back at my job doing everything as before (he would have killed me if he knew though.)  I have a 6 speed manual sport car and was driving by day 6.  I used the brace constantly for  about 6 months as he ordered and every now and then,  do still just for protection when I work.  I would never know that I had any kind of trouble with that knee before.  It's great.  Going to do same with the other knee I think sooner than later.  Just to give you something possitive to look forward to.  I think you'll like the choice the 2 of you made.

Offline ACLGirl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 02:39:13 AM »
Thank you all for your response to my email.  I am more relaxed to have the surgery now.  I have a doctors appointment scheduled for Oct. 26.  My operation is scheduled for Oct. 31.  I called my OS to see if I should start PT before the surgery and he said no.  If my operation was scheduled at a later date he would schedule PT.  I am going to go a trainer for the next couple weeks before the surgery.  I was extremely scared until I read all of your messages.  Thank you all so much for making me less nervous.

Regards,

ACLGirl-Yolanda  ;)
Yolanda

Offline gfish

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 03:32:30 AM »
My 18 year old son ...football player...had the initial knee injury 8/26/05  mri said  possible partial acl tear everything else was  ok.  He is a  strong muscular athelete,  he  rehabbed for a few weeks and was doing real good with the trainer at his college.  Foot caught on the turf and he went down in severe pain....   probably finished off the tear of the acl.
Had  surgery on 10/24/05  (monday). surgeon  found a  completely torn acl and a  "bucket handle" injury to the lateral meniscus.
He came home monday night , immedietly started using the  "polar pack"  ice pack  and started that night  with the CPM  (continuous passive motion" machine.  Last night he said   "I don't  get it .   I  have  very little pain. I feel good !
He has  2  team mates that had the same  surgery and they suffering  a lot !   One of the guys had a  surgeon that  had him in bed for a week with the knee immobile.   my son had the allograft the others used there own pattella  tendon .  At this time it  appears that  he  made the right choice .   We  will see in the future  . What I have seen in the most recent  theory is  to not move the knee causes scar tissue to form and that is the problem one of the guys is having.  He  will need further surgery to "clean up"  the scar tissue. Everything looks good. He is partial weight bearing,  waiting fot the next appointment to get the ok to  toss the crutches.  he will most likely do that on his own soon.  Ready to get back on the field and start getting strong for next year   I hope it keeps going  this good ~

Offline Angsthase

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 04:25:26 AM »
Yolanda,

My os was telling me the same thing, the cadaver graft will give us a faster recovery time. So, interesting--we do have pretty much the same questions. My os told me that 3-5 days at home, 3-6 weeks on crutches, at week 12 jogging, and between 5-6 months all sports again. Some people tend to have a ton of pain and others don't ---I can't wait to hear back from you after your surgery. I will be thinking about you. Good luck and a SPEEDY recovery.  :)

Patricia
torn ACL/torn Meniscus 9-15-2005
ACL/Meniscus Recon. surgery 11-22-2005

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 03:45:59 AM »
 Q1.  By day 11 I was back to work as a paramedic.
Q2  about 6 days
Q3 yep with crutches and a cane until; day day 6
Q4 no problems. like new
Q5  exercise it and be as strong as you can, it will heal faster and rehab faster
Q6  Do any exercise that will strengthen
Q7allorgraft heal faster with less paina nd less rehab because there is only one major incision]
Q8  ice machine and cpm for 5 days then ice occassionally

By the way, I went home the day of surgery.

Good kuck