Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Recon 6 months post op-  (Read 10575 times)

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Recon 6 months post op-
« on: October 16, 2005, 09:33:27 PM »
Hi there,

I tore my ACL playing Rugby in Jan 05 and had my Op in March, as i had to wait to for the swelling to go down enough for it to go ahead. Saw Mr Glen Vardi........ top Os in London

Went back in June for my 3 month assesment where my Os was non to happy to why progress. I had been working hard in the gym to get fit and build the knee back up and having reg Physio on it, but my quads where still weak and not really firing that well.

Started to loads of quad work, squats, leg press, lunges etc, knee is now strong and the muscle defantion is comming back (boy does it take time !)

Had my 6 month assesment the other week, am back doing full rugby training, running, sprints, tackling, jumps, side-steping, the lot !! really wanna play again but my Physio says to wait until Nov/ Dec then it would of been 8/9 months post op.....

How long should you really wait b4 you play again ???

I have had no set backs, no locking, giving way, or swelling..........knee feels fine....

would just like some comments from people in the same boat as me....

Thanks & Regards

Barry
Tore ACL in Left knee Jan 05
Recon surgery in March 05

Back playing rugby after 7 months of hard work Oct 05 !!!

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: ACL Recon 6 months post op-
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 08:25:48 AM »
When I was cleared to get back in a rowing boat at just over 3 months post-op (ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft), the physio who owned the practice where I went for PT told me that I was lucky because he said that if I had played soccer or rugby, he would have wanted me to wait the whole 9 months before playing again - he has rehabbed professional rugby players in the UK.  I know people have gone back sooner but that is his opinion.  I was going to stop physio with my own PT at 16 weeks but he recommended that I carry on in order to fine tune the knee for sports so I went until I was 8 months post-op (approx 34 weeks) but only once a month from the 16 week period onwards and I did my rowing training - he just wanted to make sure that I was coping with the return to sport.

Rachel

Offline loz8

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 07:48:55 PM »
Barry
Most people i know who have had it done wait 8-9months before competitive footy..you rarely see professional footballers back before 8. so 6 sounds early for rugby although i hope to have your 'prob' in 6 months!...i am sure i will be desp to play...however if you have waited this long i guess 2 more months may be worth it...you prob didnt want to hear that, far too sensible!

Loz

ACL Tear 2001
ACL Recon Oct 2005

Offline Nails

• Regular Poster
  • I love sports!!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50:20 PM »
My doc told me I would be allowed to play in 6 months post-op.. but I'm only going back to softball, which doesn't nearly put as much strain on the knee as soccer does... I guess it all depends on your doc and when you feel ready.
Good luck,
Nails
ACL Reconstruction June '05 (Hamstring Graft)
MCL Tear Grade III
Bone Bruise
Cyst
Dried up cartilage on bone
"Its time to release the beast.. Let me play!"
*18 years old*

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:25:26 AM »
Geez, I was told 9 to 12 months...... Im at 5 and a half now and Im bursting!
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 09:37:15 AM »
Thanks for all the comments so far....

Trust me i am so keen to play, Am sure people are the same all they wanna do is go back and play............ it's so hard to just sit and watch from the sidelines.......

I know 4/8weeks isn't that long, but f**k me does it drag on !!

Cheers

Barry

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 01:16:29 PM »
You know what is funny, now that Im 5 and a half months down the track the time has flown even though at 4 weeks I was so upset with how long it was taking.  Im bustng to get back into sport, but I a m also not prepared to risk re injury, dont want to have to go through this hard work again.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 02:13:19 PM »

I fully understand your point...... at 2 months i was still having problems with full flexation, my knee cap was always tender to touch,

But now my legs are so much stronger than b4 because i have put that much hard work to get them strong...

Don't be to down if your knee doesn't respond as fast as you like, you just have to wait, but when it does you can really feel the good work pay off..... just keep doing the rehab...

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
My OS told me it's suicide to go back any earlier then 6 months, especially for Rugby League or Rugby Union where you can't avoid body contact.

It feels ok now but you've waited 6 months already, so what's another 4 or 5 weeks of extra strengthening? You'd be bloody annoyed if you came back and only a week later some fat prop sat himself down on your knee during a maul and wrecked it again because it wasn't quite strong enough wouldn't you?

May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 06:00:40 PM »
True Fella !!!

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 08:06:13 PM »

Well i am back playing rugby after 7 months since my ACL op !!!

played 25 minutres in the backrow, had my knee strapped to give it some protection, it was fine, took some big hits, made a few runs, was fine..

There is hope people.............. i never dreamed it would be this quick........

Just remember if you put the hard work in on your rehab it will only help you !!!!!

Am buzzing !!!

Offline loz8

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 12:46:31 PM »
Barry
That is brilliant getting back so soon. Went to physio today and she said my OS likes a 12 month break from football or any contact sports! ....almost referred her to your post!!!
Any tips that really helped along the way to be playing in 7..? and did you feel as good as before?
Thanks and take it easy
Loz
ACL Tear 2001
ACL Recon Oct 2005

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 11:49:41 AM »
Hey Loz,

My OS said 8-9 months b4 you return to contact sports, but i guess everyone is different...

Don't really have any tips as such, just put the effort in at the gym really, so much leg work, my legs are so much stronger that before, make sure you work both legs not just the bad knee...

Lunges with weights are really good for the quads, am using 18kg dumbells for that, leg squats as well are really good for building up the quads. also using a wobble board is great, try and balance on it on the bad knee and you can feel the knee working to balance, that helps build the knee up back up.

It does feel slighty odd at times, but that is just over my pattella tendon it feels strange. it can be sore in the morings some days, but i guess we all have that..

I thought i would lose my speed which was my main assest in rugby, but i am still as quick as before.

Good luck mate

Barry

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 01:27:14 PM »
I still say be careful.... I personally dont consider one game a successful return to sport...... Over here a lot of fuss was made over an AFL footballer who returned to top level football after an ACL reco in what I recall was a little over 3 months.  Played a fantastic first game..... but blew it out the in his second match.  I guess what Im saying dont become too complacent.  If it has worked for you then that is terrific.... but from what I am lead to believe, most of us have to wait a bit longer.

Alla 
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05

Offline Barry-John

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 02:25:41 PM »
Alla,

I fully understand your point !!

The guy in the AFL came back after 3 months, well that is pure madness....
A England rugby player Richard Hill came back after 6 months played in a few matches went to NZ on the Lions tour and blew his knee out in the 3 match, but the tackle would have done the damaged even if he hadn't hap the Op before...

So i am really warry of all this....  I do worry every day about my knee, but come game time, you have to switch on... you can't think about it, that will get u hurt !!!