Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc reaction  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Synvisc reaction
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:46:30 PM »

I had my first Synvisc shot this week.  I was given Lidocaine first, but he didn't wait 2 seconds before he injected the Synvisc.  I woke up the next morning feeling like I had the flu.  I was achey, had chills, and ran a very low grade fever.  I could barely get out of bed.  The nausea and the malaise have gotten a little better each day.  This is day 5.

Meanwhile, my knee looks better than it has in years.  I can actually see a knee cap!  Very little swelling or stiffness.  It also hurts considerably less.

Given that, I am going to continue with the series.  I did not call my doctor. He has terrible bedside manner.  However, I will tell him about my reaction when I see him for the second shot.

Wondering if anyone else has had this type of reaction.  Does it get better, or worse each time?

I have no allergies to chicken, eggs or feathers, and have avoided all.

Thanks,
Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Gave up on Orthovisc shots...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 01:10:44 AM »
Hey all,

I'm actually giving an update on shot #2 of Orthovisc (originally thought it was Synvisc).  The good news is that my knee pain is greatly lessened, and I had no swelling or stiffness.  I could touch my ankle to my bottom the next day.

Bad news is that my "flu-like reaction " returned, and was actually a little worse.  It's been 4 days and I still have a low grade fever, terrible stomach cramps, nausea, achy.  Only the chills are gone.

I've decided not to have the third, and final shot.  I am hoping tha I will still get some benefit from the amount I was able to tolerate.

I would do it again in a heart beat.  Did the shots hurt?  Compared to what?  I just did it, knowing it would be over in 5 seconds.  5 whole days with absolutely NO KNEE PAIN is a beautiful thing, after suffering for almost 4 years of unrelenting pain.

Incidentally, in the literature under less common side effects, it lists flu-like symptoms.  Must be a common response.

Godd Luck!

Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

support