Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: can anyone help (sorry long)  (Read 4104 times)

Offline ooooouch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
can anyone help (sorry long)
« on: August 29, 2002, 03:15:20 PM »
Hi
Sorry this is so long just wanted to get all the info in.
I have had a problem for a few years, when I climb over something or maybe roll over my knee can lock in a bent position it is very painful behind my knee, usually it locks then after 30 seconds or so it it just unlocks and the pain goes although it might feel weak like it is going to lock again.
A few months ago i did my first step aerobics class and after the warm up I started to get pain in my knee and stupidly carried on, that evening my knee locked and it was over 20 minutes before it unlocked,
Yesturday I rolled over in bed and my knee locked in the bent position the pain was unbearable I cant straighten my knee although I can still bend it the pain is all behind my knee and it felt really tight and this lasted 1HOUR
I called nhs direct they called an ambulance and it just unlocked before the ambulance arrived.
I was advised to go to casualty which I did but was made to feel like a time waster as at that time there was nothing wrong because when my knee unlocks I am fine
This really scares me because when this happens I cant move I have 3 kids and if I am at home on my own when this happens I cant make it to the phone, I physically cant move as it is too painful

I am sorry this is sooooo long but I just wanted to get as much info in as I could
Should I see a DR because there is nothing to see until it locks
Thank you

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: can anyone help (sorry long)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 04:06:12 PM »
I am in no way a medical person but I am a sufferer of numerous knee problems. I woyld take a very very wild guess that you could have 1. a meniscal problem and 2. a knee or knee cap that subluxes (partially dislocates) or does dislocate. I have experienced tha latter and have had the awful pain and locking. You really need to see a GP or an OS to get this problem sorted out as you could be causing damage to the structure of you knee.
Any way good luck and know that others know and understand what it is like.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Helen_uk

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 07:55:43 PM »
This is what my knees do sometimes I have to go to casualty but sometimes I can put it back but this time it was out of place and actually started to heal out of place so I had to have surgery because the mechanism ruptured and had to be replaced with a doner tendon graft.
I have had falls when I have had to wait for someone to come home before I get any help but I have taken to carrying my mobile phone around with me.
My daughters have been ringing for help for me when needed from the age og 3 and a half.
You need to talk to them about this so that if hteya re there they can help you.
I have since had both knee caps removed which isnt a great option and subsequently it has made me worse.
If you need to chat please dont hesitate to contact me direct.
H xxx

Offline ooooouch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 08:25:59 PM »
thanks for your replies
I have made an appointment with my gp for wednesday, when I spoke to him  over the phone he said he thinks I need to be reffered to a surgeon,
Its hard to belive that something which started so long ago and was so minor can turn into something so serious
I will keep you posted with what happens
thank you for giving me the push to my gp without it I would have carried on suffering

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2002, 08:53:49 PM »
Hi

Glad to hear you have made a GP appt.

I had trouble with me knee locking which was caused by subuluxion (like dislocation), but mostly this are caused by cartilidge problems like piece floating around in the knee, although it it could neither of these.

Good luck with the GP
Iona

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M &amp; L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 05:41:08 AM »
I know the exact feeling and pain you are talking about.  This last time, when I tore my meniscus, I feel on the ice curled in a ball, biting my finger to keep from screaming in pain.  I think it was locked for a few second but not very long.

The previous time, time my knee was bent for about 2 minutes or more and locked.  I was in excrutiating pain laying in a ball on the ice.  I was scared to death, because my knee was bent inwards at a funky angle.  This time they had to wheel me off the ice in a wheel chair, as I couldn't even put weight on it, to just be picked up off the ice and dragged gliding on my blades to the benches.

If you tore your meniscus, you probably tore it more towards the back of the knee area, and what is locking your knee in place is the piece of cartledge that is torn, flipping up and getting trapped between your two leg bones right there.  You just have to relax until the cartlidge flips back.

Your tear could be an older tear, that is just starting to act up again.  Or you could have torn it recently again.

khaoskat

Offline ooooouch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 02:26:20 PM »
Hello Again
My son suffers from hypertonia and hypermobile joints meaning he has low muscle tone and although he is not double jointed his joints are very mobile and they can bend further than most people.
I have over the past few years been convinced that I suffer from the hypermobile joints and as this is often inherited it is very likely that i do and i may have past it on to my son.
I just thought that this might be a factor in my knee problem if the joint is very mobile could it dislocate easily??? what do you think??
thank you

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2002, 02:41:58 PM »
OOOCh
I too am a "hypermobile" and yes hypermobility can be genetic (as is mine) I have an Ehlers Danlos Type Condition which is a genetic condition of the Connective tissue and collagen. And it is part of the problem with my knees. If this is the case with you (the hypermobility) then like me you could be dislcoating or subluxing your knees or knee caps (and yes this is very very painful, and can spontaneously reduce). If you wish to chat or get more info on hypermobility disorders I can give you a few web addresses and bulliten board addresses for hypermobility syndrome and EDS and other hypermobility conditions (and yes Hypertonia can be part of some of these disorders too).
Feel free to email me on [email protected] or PM me from here.
I truly do understand where you are coming from.
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

support