Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS through arthroscopy...any thoughts?  (Read 6395 times)

Offline JillE1983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • just another day in paradise
OATS through arthroscopy...any thoughts?
« on: October 10, 2005, 06:54:22 PM »
I have been suffering from OCD of the MFC for the past few years.  I have recently changed orthopaedic surgeons and he has mentioned doing an OATS procedure.  He told me that he might be able to complete the procedure through an arthroscopy.  I am a little bit apprehensive about this because I have not found any information thorughout my research that has lead me to believe that this is possible.  If he can't complete this procedure through arthroscospy, he will most likely be performing the ACI procedure.  I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on this subject or may have had this procedure done on themselves.  I appreciate any responses! Thanks

Jill
*23 years old*
1/99 menisectomy and debribment
10/04  microfracture (failed from day 1)
12/05 OATS procedure to repair a 1.2 cm lesion of  MFC

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: OATS through arthroscopy...any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »
OATS via arthroscopy is possible.  In order for it to work you need a very small lesion, in an easily accessible place, and an OS who is practiced in doing OATS by scope.  There aren't that many people that qualify for it.  Most of us end up needing a big incision into the joint (arthrotomy).  I'd make sure that your OS has done a lot of them, because there's supposedly a big learning curve.

Good luck,
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 03:39:50 PM »
I had OATS via arthroscopy and my lesions were moderate to large- 1.7cmx1.8 cm and 1.7cm x1.7 cm and I had them on both the lateral and medial femoral chondyles.

So yes it can be done. Any questions dont hesitate to ask I would be happy to help

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

pipervlh

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:22:25 PM »
Hi Jill.

I just had OATS via arthroscopy 1 1/2 week ago.  The OS didn't know going in what he was going to find, but had prepared me for a possible OATS.  He found a lesion about 1cm on my medial side and did 2 grafts.  Maybe I was just lucky, but he was very experienced at doing it this way.  I'm obviously still healing from the surgery, but it has been better than I expected! 

If I can help at all, just let me know.
Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
Vicki

Offline JillE1983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 06:20:55 PM »
Thank you all for the good information! I will definitley keep you posted...2 months til my surgery.

Good luck with all of your rehab and recovery!

Jill
*23 years old*

pipervlh

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 09:29:15 PM »
Jill -
Just a thought to consider.  A friend of mine recommended that I try to build-up my leg muscles as much as possible before the surgery (especially the quad muscles)!  I did what I could, but wish now that I had done more!  Only 2-3 weeks after surgery, I can already tell my left muscles are atrophying.  Work on flexibility too - ankles, hip, hamstring, and shin.  If you can!

Vicki

Offline JillE1983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 09:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice...I am trying to get in the best shape that I can before my surgery because I know that being NWB is rough...done it before with my microfracture...not quite as long though.  My OS mentioned only being NWB for 4 weeks but that makes me nervous...anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks a bunch guys!

you will all be in my prayers
Jill
*23 years old*

pipervlh

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 11:15:19 PM »
I've heard all kinds of time periods NWB...the avg. seems to be about 6 weeks.  Mine is 8 weeks!  It probably depends on the size/location of the graft.

Good luck with everything!  Glad you know what to expect following the surgery. 
Vicki

Offline Chavez42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
I had the Denovo NT surgery done on my right knee last September to fix a hole 2.5 cm x 2 cm on the load bearing side of my knee.  I've had pain and extremely limited activity (only eliptical and some golfing) in the past year.  I had a MRI done two weeks ago and met with my surgeon yesterday.  I have a 5mm x 6mm portion that the denovo graft didn't fix as well as an esteophyte that is stabbing my bone.  I'll be having surgery next Friday via scope to shave down that sharp bone and OATS to fix the small hole.

My question is, the Dr. said that I'll be out of work for two weeks?  Everything I see on this forum and other medical websites shows that most/if not all, people are NWB for longer?  I'm not sure which to believe or be prepared for?  I need to know how long I should expect to be NWB so I can tell my boss how long I'll be out of work.  Also, what is the pain like after this surgery?  I can't imagine the pain being worse than after the Denovo (that was hell for me, and I have a higher pain tolerance).  Thanks for your help.   :)

support