Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: When did you know allograft failed?  (Read 7977 times)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
When did you know allograft failed?
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »
I am curious at what point if at all you knew that your allograft failed?  I am trying to stay positive as I am way early but joint line pain is starting to freak me out as this is surgery number 4 in 2 1/2 years. I need this to work and am trying to stay positive but it is tough.

Also, did anyone have issues with their patella and pain under it after their allograft.

Thanks

Jenni :-\
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
Re: When did you know allograft failed?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:55:18 AM »
Is there really not one single person who has had an OATS allograft fail that could give me some info?  If not I guess that's great news. I am worried because as I continue to progress with weight bearing I am getting the same old joint line pain I have had after the original injury that has never seemed to go away and shows up about this point after each surgery and thus far it has pointed to a failed surgery. Any insights you can give would be helpful. Understand that this is not just soreness or aches but pain that occurs with each step I take. I have a very high pain threshold as well FYI.

Thanks,

Jenni :-\
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Jaime0402

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
Seems like you have the same problem I always had on this board.... no responses :(

I had OATS in June 2011 and the recovery was horrific! The OATS marked my third knee surgery since Nov 2009.

My doctor and I went way above and beyond cautious, I was NWB for 11 weeks, then 3 weeks PWB and was in PT until January 2012.

I don't have any confirmation from my doctor that it has failed, but I too have the same pain in the same place that I had before surgery and that is the same pain that keeps indicating my need for surgery.

I had many complications after my surgery and saw another doctor for a second opinion and was told that you can still be symptomatic for up to a year after that OATS procedure, so I'm hoping that this is all normal. My hopefullness is fading though considering it's been 9 months and the pains almost seems to be getting worse.

I am 32 and I mentally cannot go through another surgery like that, it's a very rough recovery and nothing had fully prepared me for what I was going to go through.

Good luck and I hope you make a full and complete recovery!

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:59:12 AM »
Jamie0402, thanks for your response. I am in a similar boat as you. November 2009 was when I got hurt and I have had four surgeries. I just want to be "normal" again. I am beginning to feel like that will never happen. Keep me posted on your progress  ;D. I go see my OS next week and am going to ask for a bone scan. We will see what he says. Good luck On your recovery!!

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Shelbylw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 03:44:18 AM »
I knew my first autograft failed when I had increased pain after 6 months. It was also locking again. They did xrays and confirmed that I had necrotic tissue where the graft was. The locking was from debris. That was back in 2008 and was my second surgery. I just finally had another OATS done 4 weeks ago. OH MY, PAINFUL!!! I am just now able to put my foot down feather weight but still really painful. I am now up to 80 degrees ROM but with the severed patella tendon its really hard to bend it still. I am concerned that this one is failing as well because I have increased pain and heat at the allograft site. I'm trying to stay optimistic that its just from increased use but I'm having doubts. I don't know that there is any one symptom for sure of a failed OATS. I think xrays or MRI would be the only conclusive way. I hope yours didn't fail because I know how hard that surgery is to have the second time. The recovery SUCKS!!! And the pain is worse.. Best of luck.

Shelby

Offline Jaime0402

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
I am going to see an OS tomorrow for a second opinion on what to do. Don't have any confirmation from OS that the OATS has failed, but I don't really need confirmation from OS, I know it's failed. Pain is worse/more frequent than before OATS even! I stepped up on the curb at the gas station and it hurt so bad I could barely walk to rest of the day and I've had that happen several times in the last few weeks. It's also had a feeling like it's catching a few times, that's a new symptom, I didn't have that before. I honestly don't know why I'm going for a second opinion because there's no way in heck I'm going through a surgery like that again anytime soon. That recovery was HORRIFIC! I suppose if it got to the point where it hurt like that ALL the time I would have no choice but for now I will not jump under the knife again. I am 32 years old and I have missed out on doing so much the last 3 years because of my knee, I'm really sick of it :( And to top it all off I think I have tennis elbow! I've never had it before but my arm has been hurting since January, and since we moved into our new house and did a lot of painting. Kept thinking it would just go away but it hasn't so I'll ask the OS about that as well. GEEEEEEEEEEEZ I'm falling apart!

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »
Jamie0402. I know what you are saying about feeling like you are falling apart. I have to have shoulder surgery once the knee is fixed. Sheesh. I just want to feel a semblance of normal.

I did have an MRI on Friday and will see the OS on Wed. I made the mistake of looking at it and am freaking because there are some nasty black spots on the femur. I hope that's normal but the lateral graft looks lighter and more blended. It's the medial graft that looks black and rough. They really shouldn't hand those to the patients because of course we are going to look lol.

I guess I will know soon enough where things are at.  ::)
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Jaime0402

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
Hey Sam, how has it been going with you? What did the MRI show? I cancelled my last appt with my OS, I think I'm afraid to hear what he has to say but the pain is pretty persistent so I am sitting I am sitting in his waiting room as I type this to see what he thinks we should do now. I have very little doubt that it worked, but we will see. Hope all is well with you!

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »
The MRI showed that everything is healing. I don't trust MRIs however as the two I had previous to any surgery never showed the articular cartilage tear Noreen did they show the tear in the meniscus. All I know is that it still hurts with every step I take. The dr keeps telling me to give it time. I am frustrated and at a loss. If all looks good why does it hurt so badly when I walk. I have a high pain tolerance and can handle a lot. I know it's not in my head because I will be sitting down and get up to do something not thinking about my knee. As I start to walk it will send a shooting pain and my knee will give away. it's beyond frustrating. I don't know what to do.
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Overdidit

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
Hi Sam451,

My oats has failed.  I knew almost from the get go.  I kept telling him that it feels like something is catching and I can't walk with a straight leg for any length of time or it feels like a stabbing pain.  My surgeon kept telling me . .time. . .time . .time.   Well 1 year later . . . . I am scheduled for another oats the first week in January.  This will be my 7th surgery in 26 months.  Please let me know how you are doing!

support