Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Time to choose treatment...  (Read 2117 times)

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
Time to choose treatment...
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:45:15 PM »
I have non-specific chronic knee pain. Meening that it wasn't an injury and it has hurt literally my entire life (I'm 21). I don't want to live like this anymore. I have seen 3 DR's in the last 4 years. It all boils down to this- No one is quite sure why it hurts so much. I have exhausted all the non-invasive options. I have had braces, orthodics, PT, ultrasound, saw a chiropractor, x-rays, MRI, and a bone scan. Since none of that has worked, my DR said the next steps are either joint therapy injections (Supartz) or orthoscopic surgery.
My questions here are- Has anyone had the full round of Supartz? It seems like it is only a "bandaide", not really helping just not hurting. How long does this tend to work for? Any really good success stories?
Any opinions, comments, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much
~Dubs

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
Re: Time to choose treatment...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:57:32 PM »
I guess no one has any insight on this.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 05:54:06 PM »
Hi Dubs,
   I have not had any experience with the Supartz injections.  I did have the Synvisc injections on both knees, unfortunately it didn't help.  But I would certainly try the injections before have arthroscopic surgery.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Patty

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:48:26 PM »
Dubbin,

Hi, wondered how you were doing!  Have you decided to have the injections?

Here is an article on the injections.... http://www.supartz.com/

Hopefully, you will get some relief from your knee pain. 

Good luck,

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 03:30:52 PM »
Hey Shade-
I got my medical records and I am going for a 2nd opinion (re: injections) on Friday. I really want to know what the goal is with the shots before I just go have them done. If it's just going to make me feel better, I'm not sure that's what I want. I want a solution, not a bandaide. You know what I meen? I'd rather work on stopping more damage being done and try and repair whatever damage there may be.
Anyway- I guess I'll have more to say after I see DR.
Thanks for asking!
~Dubs

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 08:27:12 PM »
Dubs,

Yes, I agree with you absolutely.....

Good luck with your second opinion, never hurts to get opinions and find out what options you want to go with.  Sometimes, I think the best option might be to get a closer look and have a diagnostic scope and then the OS know what they are truly dealing with.

Fingers X'D,

Shade

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 03:57:04 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking! ;D
 "Wow- this is great! I can't feel a thing! I'm going to over do it now and do some real good damage but at least I won't feel it!"   ::)
That doesn't seem like a good idea to me at all. And I'm young now, so why not just get the scope done and see what's really going on? I don't know why I would have injections done for x amount of time, and be paying who knows what to get it done, when it's only putting off the inevitable. Just get it over with is what I think!

Thanks a bunch! I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't entirely buy into these shots.
**Don't get me wrong, if the OS says they would be really beneficial of course I'll go through with it. I was actually all excited to hear that I could put off surgery for a while. It was my husband that got me thinking more into it.

Thanks Thanks Thanks!    ;D   ;D   ;D
~Dubs

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 06:36:06 PM »
Dubs,

Hi, wondered how you were doing?  Actually I had a re-assessment with my surgeon and came home with neovisc injection in the knee & two more to go.  Just wanted to tell you that the reason for my shots was to interrupt the pain cycle with weight-bearing pain.  I've been battling this situation awhile & could not walk without limping or the assistance of a cane. 

Just to let you know that within 15 minutes I was walking without pain & no limp.  It has been a wonderful experience & hopefully will last long enough to enable me to strengthen my knees. 

These injections are temporary and I was instucted not to overdo it but to use it as a rehab aid try to break through the pain cycle that has been blocking my progress. 

Hope that if you decide to have the injections you have a great experience.

Shade

support