Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I beleive this procedure is called OATES??? Any help??  (Read 5347 times)

Offline sakboy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I beleive this procedure is called OATES??? Any help??
« on: October 08, 2005, 02:09:19 AM »
I've pretty much have had a bad knee for about 10 yrs now (I am 35). I have had 4 knee surguries, cartlidge injections and so on. For the past 1 1/2 yr's  my knee has got much worse, pain wise its tough for me to walk up stairs or even light runningis gives me problems. I've found myself a  new doctor after my old one said there's not much that could be done. The new doc seem's very good (orthopedic surgen for the Raiders) and has told me there is a new procedure out where he would take a bone plug from my tibia (injured due to a lack of cartledge) and replace it with a bone plug from a cadaver. he would attach the plug with screws and then give me a meniscus transplant or repair what I have in there. I have been on a waiting list for almost a year now waiting for a doner. My question is has anyone heard of this procedure and if so what kind of results should I expect, will I be able to still be active (sports), what kind of recovery time Im i looking at? Please any info would be appriciated.
                                                                                                                              Thank's for the help!

pipervlh

Re: I beleive this procedure is called OATES??? Any help??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:28:48 PM »
Hi.  Just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of resources on the web about OATS.  I would recommend starting with this website.  I started my search on google.com typing in OATS and knee, got tons of good websites that explain the procedure.

There wasn't too much information about recovery time.  I expect that varies with each person and the injury.  The most important thing to realize is that you will probably be non-weight bearing (NWB) for 6-8 weeks.  This will affect muscles in that leg, which makes physical therapy during NWB stage very important.

I hope this gives you a good start!
Vicki

Offline sakboy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:34:16 PM »
Thank You very much!!

pipervlh

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 10:10:01 PM »
Hi again.  Just wondering if you had any luck finding informaion.  I wish I had saved all the website links that I thought were the best.  Anyway, here is one I've been sending to family/friends when they ask about OATS.  http://www.orthopodsurgeon.com/cartilage.html

It would also help if you do a search for allograft, since that seems to be what your OS is recommending.  It sounds like you are on a "wait and see" until you get a donor.  What are you doing in the meantime?  Any PT?  How's the knee doing?

Take care,
Vicki

Offline czaloglu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 01:03:16 AM »
Hi,
I just visited my Doctor, and he recommended me the same procedure, cartridge and meniscus transfer.  I am 35 years old.  I wonder how long does the new meniscus and the cartilage last, 10-20 years?  Does anyone know?  Please help.  What would happen to my knee 15-20 years after the transplant?  Can OATS be repeated?
Thanks,
CZ

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:34:38 AM »
Hi guys,
believe I can help out here, as I've had an OATS graft in my right knee to repair an osteochondral defect on the medial femoral condyle. It was one of the few procedures I've had that really made a difference. However, it isn't an easy operation to go through, because they have to open your knee to place the graft. I have an incision about 5" long down the center of my knee. Recovery is lengthy and painful, and you have to be 100% committed to the physical therapy. I was NWB for 4 weeks, then PWB for two more. It's a long, slow process and you can't rush it or push the rehab too hard, because the graft could fail. It will be at least a full year before you can fully participate in sports again.
Sakboy, a year is a heck of a long time to wait for a donor. Is there any particular reason your OS wants to do a cadaver graft? Mine did an autograft from a non-weightbearing area of the femur, so I didn't have to wait for a donor. Also, there's less possibility of rejection, although they say the risk of that is very low anyway. I know sometimes they choose allografts for larger defects.
It's hard to say exactly how long a graft will last. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's still in good shape. There are some statistics out there that suggest that it could fail after about 5 years, but that's not absolute. It probably depends on how you take care of yourself after the surgery.
OATS can be repeated, but if you have an autograft, there's a limit to the number of grafts they can take and to the size of them. It's a 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' situation. With allografts, you don't have to worry about that and they can treat fairly large defects.
This procedure isn't really all that new. Another option for cartilage repair that is relatively recent is autologous cultured chondrocytes, aka Carticel. You may want to look into this one, too. I just did extensive research on it for a biotech class project, and though it's only been around for about 12 years, it seems to offer longer lasting results. Some doctors and insurance companies still consider it investigational, but most of the studies I've been able to find are encouraging.
Sorry I can't answer questions about the meniscus repair. Haven't been through that particular procedure. Feel free to ask more about the OATS, though.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:57:45 AM »
Hi,

I also had an osteochondral defect on the medial femoral condyle.Two years ago I had a mosaicplasty. Two cartilage and bone plugs were taken from a lesser weight bearing portion of the knee and placed in the defect. My Os backfilled the donor site with 2 OBI plugs. I was 6 weeks NWB. I started PT at 2 weeks post-op. The recovery is long and following PT protocal is important. The mosaicplasty site is doing well, However I have degeneration at the bottom of the donor site as well as in the other 2 knee compartments(none of this I had at the 3/06 scope,LOA,andMUA). I have an appt. next month to discuss a possible TKA with my OS's associate. I was told that the mosaicplasty should last about 7yrs. or so ,it's unpredictable. There is a very low percentage of donor site failures with this surgery. Do all the research you can and ask your OS alot of questions. Good luck!

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

support