Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help! Why can't I straighten my knee  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Phyllis610

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help! Why can't I straighten my knee
« on: October 03, 2005, 08:06:59 PM »
I had surgery for a torn meniscus in mid April and reinjured my knee immediatley and had a second operation the end of June.  Since then I had and completed therapy to regain muscle use in my leg, however, I have been and still am unable to straighten my knee.  I was prescribed a Dynasplint to use at night but after a few weeks this constant stretching of my leg caused pain in the entire leg which according to my doctor is now sciatica.  I am at my wits end trying to straighten my knee but no matter what I do, am unsuccessful.    Has anyone had the same thing happen to them?  And, if so, what was done to correct the situation?

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: Help! Why can't I straighten my knee
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »
Hi Phyllis,

When did you last see your doctor? Have you seen your OS? Does he know the problems you're having? It may be worth explaining it all from start to finish to your OS. If you get nowhere, then seek out another OS. I know there's a lot of pain connected to unstable or injured knees and you shouldn't suffer for any longer than absolutely necessary, but you need to find someone to treat you who knows about the specific type of problem you have.
You may need a certain type of brace, certain methods of physio or more surgery. You don't say whether you're unable to straighten your leg because of pain or because of something mechanically preventing it from straightening.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards,

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help! Why can't I straighten my knee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »
I had the same problem a couple months ago after dislocating my knee, but i was never told why it wouldn't straighten. I had a fulkersons/LR a month ago and the day after surgery was able to straighten my knee for the first time! Also, i had the same thing happen in my right knee, and that was fixed with a simple scar tissue removal. My guess is that you have a lot of scar tissue built up from the operation, and might need to have it removed. does it hurt when you try to straighten your leg or is it just stiff?

Amanda