Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Reconstruction?  (Read 669 times)

Offline big tim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Reconstruction?
« on: October 03, 2005, 10:23:28 AM »
 :o

Hi

Thanks for every one’s reply to my message on the 29th of sept. they were really helpful.
I had my pre-assessment for ACL re-construction later that day. Due to the complexity of my condition and my uncertainty I was able to talk to the surgeon again.

He would be using a patellar graft rather then a hamstring graft, does anyone have any experience of the grafts? Are the scars on the knee the same length for both ops? He seemed to think the patellar graft was better.

My friend recently had the patellar graft and he said that he has a dead knee on the one side. The surgeon said this was due to the nerve endings being cut, has anyone else suffered with this problem and how bad is it down the road?

He said the tests performed during key hole showed my ACL had torn/ or though this is could not be seen on the key-hole surgery picture of the ACL. However the tests he performed on my knee during key-hole gave a rating 1/3 for stability on all three tests. (3 being the most unstable, 0= perfect) He said my knee was pretty stable and that he would have to question whether he could make it much better by having the surgery.

When I asked him if it could be a partial tear, he said this was very rare and that the ligament normally completely tears and doesn’t re-heal and said my ACL was torn!

He said that physio and weights might make it as good as having surgery but I tried this but me knee doesn’t quite feel right when I kick a football (loss of power) and always have that guarding sensation that makes you pull out of tackles..quicker then Daren Anderton!

He also said that the operation may not necessarily delay the impact of arthritis in the knee.

All in all I got the feeling he was trying to advise me against the operation, but my own gut feeling is that by delaying the operation my knee will gradually get worse and may cause damage to the cartilage and that if I ever want to be able to really kick the football again with my bad leg I require the operation rather then intensive physio and weights.

Maybe I can get away with not having it done as long as I give up football and stick to the golf… but I have to ask myself how will this sport affect my knee 10 years down the line, as there is a lot of twisting and knee bending

So maybe I should bite the bullet, have the operation and hope it is a success or alternatively do I wait a few years and hope they find a simple procedure to reattach the ruptured ligament.
Isolated ACL rupture 2004.
May consider surgery in the future.
No problems of instability

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
Re: ACL Reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:41:49 AM »
If you're unhappy with your Surgeon's diagnosis, then definantly seek a second or even a third opinion. It's your knee and if you don't think it's right or that you should have the surgery then thats your decision.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline jamesh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL Reconstruction?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 12:02:27 PM »
hi , i had an acl reconstruction using a patella graft and can not kneel down , have a weak spot in the patella tendon which feels like a hole accordind to my physio and finally i have a large ( 10 inch ) scare down the front of my knee . so if i had the option i would go for the hamstring graft as i know a lot of people who have had this and have had no problem .

support