Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 weeks countdown to LR and Debridment  (Read 1213 times)

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 weeks countdown to LR and Debridment
« on: September 19, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »
Hi to all,

have 2 weeks till my first knee surgery.  Am kinda looking forward to it, if that is not too weird.

After years of knee pain and dislocations, I finally got an MRI shich revealed that I was born with missalligned kneecaps.  They both sit at about 45 degree angles to where they should be.
My surgeon has decided to do a LR with debridment of the rear of the patella.  Also he is going to be shaving the corner off my thigh bone and the corner off the rear of the patella.

I am just wondering how long I will be off my feet for?  Will I have to be in Plaster?

Will keep you all up tp date in the post op section

Weezy
LR + debridemant of patella and femur 3 october 2005

shadehawk

Re: 2 weeks countdown to LR and Debridment
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 08:36:23 PM »
Weezy,

Hi, I had an LR for patella tilt and debridement for patella OA on July 29th.  I have had a hard time recovering from this surgery, but many people do not & bounce back really quick.  The surgery itself takes about an hour to do - I had a femoral block along with general anesthesia and anti-nausea meds.  The femoral block lasted on me for quite a long time afterwards, which really helped with the pain.  The block makes your leg quite numb but you can still feel your leg.  I was NWB on crutches for a couple of weeks and had to wear an immobilizer brace for approx. three weeks, but this also varies with OS.  I started physio right away and am now doing my own therapy at home, mostly riding a recumbent bike, doing quadriceps sets and straight leg raises....
Also, I was on a constant passive motion machine for the first 4-5 days after surgery almost constantly and used a cryocuff cold therapy unit.  These units run cold water over your surgical site and you have to re-pump the water every half hour to hour.  The water stays cold in the container for up to 8 hours.  Many people just use ice bags or ice pacs (whatever you have works).

The debridement found OA damage behind my patella and that is where my weight-bearing pain seems to be.  Everyone has different experiences with surgery and just because I have had a few difficulties with recovery does not mean that you will. 

Hopefully, you will have a fast uneventful recovery.  Make sure you post your progress in the 'Rehab Dept' - 'Post-op Diary section'.....

Good luck,

Shade

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:46:11 PM »
hello,

thanks for your quick and informative reply.
will keep you posted, and if I think of anything else will post it here in the meantime

weezy

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 11:36:54 PM »
Weezy,

Best of luck with your surgery. I can understand how you may be 'excited.' It's a comforting thought to know that something will finally be done to help you with your pain. Just keep in mind that recovery from surgery can take a lot of work and results will not be instantaneous. For now, work on strengthening your quads, as they will quickly deteriorate after the LR surgery. If you want more information on recovery, I would look through the Post-Op diaries. I had a LR on August 15th and I have a diary in there, and I know that there are several others. I am sure that you will quickly discover that no two recoveries are alike!

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Heather W.
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 02:54:14 PM »
Well only 1 week to go now.  I am trying to get everything done that needs to be done.  My family live so far away that I will be left to the mercy of my eldest daughter (14) and possibly my next door neighbour.  My youngest daughter needs to get to heathrow on the 3 day after my op and my husband has just had  business trip from work organised, hd flies out on the 6th day after my op.  This is what worried me.  I will need to be downstairs for the freezer and Ice packs, and also  so my neighbour can come in and see me if I need her to.  She cnat do stairs.  But the ral problem with this is we only have a bathroom upstairs.  Should I buy myself a chemical toilet or hire a helping hand,,,,,,lol.
i am going to rent a mobility scooter, or buy a second hand one off ebay then re-sell after healing time is up.
Other than that my countdown to op is going ok, just the family stuff that is building up that is really worrying me.  Usual stuff like Dr visits and orthodontist visits, and having to do all of this with just the aid of a teenager who is I am sure the spawn of the devil.

will keepyou all posted, and thanks for giving me the time to rant on here and not at my already strained family

Louisex

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »
well hello to all,

it is now only 2 days till i have myvery first surgery.  Not as worried as i could be but hey still time yet.

have just hired a little mobility scooter for 2 weeks minimum, this will at least get me to the shops for the essentials.  it a folding one so i will be able to get it in the car as well (when my husband is back in the country).

well will keep you all posted chat again soon

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 02:11:31 PM »
Weezy,

Just wanted to wish you luck! Keep us posted!

Heather W.
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 02:38:14 PM »
Good luck with your surgery on monday !!
Teenage daughters can be a very good help, I would be lost without mine !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

shadehawk

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 12:08:39 AM »
Weezy,

Have a good weekend.

Make sure that you start a 'Post-Op Diary' in the 'Rehab Dept' section when you are back from surgery. 

This helps other people with their rehab and it also shows the different OS protocols. 

Good luck on Monday,

Shade

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 08:10:56 AM »
hi

just had my final meal of toast and marmalade.  just 3 hours till i have to be in hospital.  will be staying in overnight, so will notbe able to post anything till tuesday pm (GMT).  I will do my best to keep a paper diary so i can give all the blow by blow accounts of my op and post op recovery.

my next post will be in the post-op section, talk to you all soon

Louissexx    ;D

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 08:45:12 AM »
Hi,

Good luck with your surgery today. Keep us posted.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

support