Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy & Open Lateral Release Right Knee 6wks Post Op  (Read 1295 times)

Offline ZoeB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthroscopy & Open Lateral Release Right Knee 6wks Post Op
« on: October 01, 2005, 10:11:54 PM »
Hi,

I had suffered with knee pain for 2.5yrs and had gone for Physio for a year before having surgery on my right knee.  I am now 6 weeks post op and I had Arthroscopy and Open Lateral Release.  I started Physio again (visit once a week although I do excersises 3 times a day) 3 weeks post op and all has been well, no infection etc.  I am icing, elevating and excersising but after seeing the consultant (he told me I should now walk with 1 crutch rather than 2 and bent my knee, that really hurt!)  My flexion is 125 degrees, but now I am getting locking in my knee when I lie flat on my back?  This is since I tried with 1 crutch.  Please could someone tell me if this is normal?  I can't walk without 2 crutches, I am unstable and in pain bearing much weight.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: Arthroscopy & Open Lateral Release Right Knee 6wks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »
Hi Zoe,

Everybody's knees heal/recover at different rates so maybe yours in taking just a little longer than your OS expected. Did you tell him you can't cope with only 1 crutch or cannot weight bear fully? He may be able to suggest something else. You don't say if you use a knee support. If you don't, it may be worth getting one made specifically for instability. This may help wit husing only 1 crutch.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards,

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline ZoeB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 08:31:42 PM »
Hi Laura,

Many thanks for your reply.  I am trying to be very patient but determined to walk again soon!  The walking on 1 crutch and instability only occurred after seeing my OS, he said that was the last visit, I didn't need to see him again just carry on with Physio. I am back to walking with 2 crutches as I don't feel safe with 1.  I don't have a knee brace, have never been given one.  I am new to the site, and new to knee surgery!  I will ask Physio about the brace.

Many Thanks
Zoe

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 08:38:20 PM »
Zoe...

What does your physio think? I had an LR on August 15th and I still have appointments with my OS. I had one at two weeks, one at four weeks, and I have another on Thursday. I think that he may have me set up one more appointment at the six month mark just to check in.

I would talk with your physio about the situation and see if he thinks your progress is satisfactory. If not, call your OS.

Good Luck!
HW
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline ZoeB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:56:46 PM »
Thanks HW,

My surgery was on 20th August, my Physio says I am doing well with the excercises but I will ask on Friday about the 'locking'.

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »
Zoe,

I had problems with locking at about four weeks. Then one morning my knee 'popped' and it really hurt for a minute, but my knee hasn't locked since then. My PT said they think that I had scar tissue in the way and that it ended up snapping. Maybe where you still need your crutches there is scar tissue forming? It is such a balancing act, doing what needs to be done but not causing more pain in the end. I am so sorry that you are having trouble. I hope that everything works out.

Keep us posted,
Heather W. (HW)
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005