Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: medial collateral ligament sprain  (Read 2706 times)

Offline searobin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
medial collateral ligament sprain
« on: March 05, 2003, 12:49:52 AM »
A sudden stop on the tennis court & a sight pain for 3 days. (iced it immediately after). Could walk & play tennis until a trip to the pool 3 days later where I did H2O walking & the hot tub where I put the knee directly in the hot spray.  The next morning I could put no weight on it at all .  I have been icing it & resting it since then, but what caused this sudden pain after the hot tub visit?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: medial collateral ligament sprain
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 01:33:21 AM »
Heat can cause increased swelling, especially in the 'acute' phase after an injury or surgery.  It is not recommended until swelling has gone down.  I had surgery in December and wasn't allowed to go into the hot tub until 8 weeks post op, and even then I had to ice immediately afterwards.  I noticed increased swelling after being in the water.

Icing and elevating should help until you can get in to see your doctor.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'day from Down Under.
Re: medial collateral ligament sprain
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 05:51:49 PM »
Heather is right, heat increases swelling and can cause you to bleed in the joint. If you had a slight tear and iced it then put heat on it the small vessels open up and can beging to bleed which causes swelling. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support