Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Over 50...ACL reconstruction or not?  (Read 19479 times)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Over 50...ACL reconstruction or not?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 07:40:14 AM »
Audice, I think this guy is digging up every single thread possible without even thinking of looking at the date! I believe it is something akin to man flu for knee injuries!  ;) Blind panic as his operation gets nearer.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »
"Audice, I think this guy is digging up every single thread possible without even thinking of looking at the date! I believe it is something akin to man flu for knee injuries!   Blind panic as his operation gets nearer."

You're probably quite correct, Kaputt_Knee.  :D
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 06:47:06 AM »
Hi ~ I'm a 67 yr old female with a ruptured ACl & torn meniscus as well as a few other rt knee problems. I am athletic & ruptured the ligament because I came off my horse & landed wrong. My injury was in April of this year & two ortho surgeons, one a friend, said that reconstruction on people my age simply isn't done as there's no real need. I'm no longer playing any sport where twisting or pivoting is crucial & there are few daily incidences where I might be twisting to accomplish something.

I do have a custom brace that I wear when I'm doing heavy work around the farm or hiking in the wooded hills just so I don't do further damage. But even walking my 3 dogs daily I no longer feel the need for the brace. My knee is strong & I push to remain active.

Once past the initial pain of the injury, I found my knee became increasingly stabile & from thinking that I'd have to spend the rest of my life in pain, I find I can comfortably do anything I want to do. I don't miss the ACl particularly except when I forget I don't have it & try jumping over something. <g> The torn meniscus is more problematic & when that becomes more than I want to handle I'll have surgery.

But the key I believe, to living w/o an ACl or preparing for surgical reconstruction, is to keep the leg muscles just as strong as possible. If you're not doing it thru your daily activities PT might make a difference. As my OS friend said...go to PT just to learn what exercises you need to rebuild or keep those muscles strong that support the knee.

Wishing you well...Ellie

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 06:48:59 AM »
Hi ~ I'm a 67 yr old female with a ruptured ACl & torn meniscus as well as a few other rt knee problems. I am athletic & ruptured the ligament because I came off my horse & landed wrong. My injury was in April of this year & two ortho surgeons, one a friend, said that reconstruction on people my age simply isn't done as there's no real need. I'm no longer playing any sport where twisting or pivoting is crucial & there are few daily incidences where I might be twisting to accomplish something.

I do have a custom brace that I wear when I'm doing heavy work around the farm or hiking in the wooded hills just so I don't do further damage. But even walking my 3 dogs daily I no longer feel the need for the brace. My knee is strong & I push to remain active.

Once past the initial pain of the injury, I found my knee became increasingly stabile & from thinking that I'd have to spend the rest of my life in pain, I find I can comfortably do anything I want to do. I don't miss the ACl particularly except when I forget I don't have it & try jumping over something. <g> The torn meniscus is more problematic & when that becomes more than I want to handle I'll have surgery.

But the key I believe, to living w/o an ACl or preparing for surgical reconstruction, is to keep the leg muscles just as strong as possible. If you're not doing it thru your daily activities PT might make a difference. As my OS friend said...go to PT just to learn what exercises you need to rebuild or keep those muscles strong that support the knee.

Wishing you well...Ellie

Hi Ellie,

I have pretty much the same as you:

ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus

I am 43 and going for knee reconstruction in 3 days. I am wondering if you ended up having the new reconstruction. How did they deal with the medial meniscus tear . Mine is quiet large 26 mm but I believe it is very important for them to fix as it is a posterior horn root tear.
Have you had any osteoarthritis from It ?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 09:11:39 AM »
Audice responded to you a few posts back that she never had the surgery :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
Vickster's absolutely correct, fabienzan...no repairs. I'm getting along just fine. Occasional jabs of discomfort but nothing serious.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 04:09:01 AM »
It has been 7 months since my ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair.  I think it was a total success.  Considering I am an inactive 54 year old, I am very pleased.  I did a month of physical therapy after the surgery.  I was in a continuous motion machine from the time I got out of the hospital, for about 10 days.  I had the electric ice machine apparatus which I think was what helped me heal so well.
I still have a little stiffness when I go down stairs, and sometimes I feel like my legs no longer "match"...
My doc says this spacial perception...feeling your leg in space...will get better with time, and to wear an elastic bandage, as this helps with the feeling where your leg is...
I had a course of hygan injections in my "good knee"...which used to be my bad knee, before I completely severed my ACL.  This has worked great.  I don't look forward to having it again, which the literature says needs to be repeated after a year. 
Bottom line...regardless of age, fix your ACL if it is gone, as you will continue to damage your other ligaments without an ACL...that is what I hear from Docs and what I havae read.
I am a happy patient.
Good luck to those anticipating this surgery.

Hi Feggie,

Do you remember how much of your medial meniscus was trimmed and where the tear was located ?
I am going for knee reco and meniscus repair tomorrow . I am 43 and very worry.
Have you got any discomfort , OA ....

Cheers
Fabien

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 04:46:47 AM »
fabienzan asked..."How have you recover from your surgery for ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface. I have the exact same injury. I am worry about the medial meniscus tear as this has longer term consequence with OA and I am interested in your experience."

fabienzan, I wrote my response back in 2005 just 6 months post injury. I'm now almost 10 years beyond that date & I've still had no repairs. I'm now 76 years old, no longer riding my horse but still working with horses & managing just fine. Only rarely (as in once or twice a year) do I even turn to the brace. It's a matter of keeping going, I think...Ellie

Hi Ellie,

What do you mean you have still got no repair ? How large was your meniscus tear ? I had my knee reconstruction and they found a 1.2 cm medial meniscus tear but left it in situ (didn't trim it either). Is that what they did for you ? Do you feel any symptoms from the meniscus tear ?

Fabien

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
fabienzan asked, "What do you mean you have still got no repair ? How large was your meniscus tear ? I had my knee reconstruction and they found a 1.2 cm medial meniscus tear but left it in situ (didn't trim it either). Is that what they did for you ? Do you feel any symptoms from the meniscus tear ?"

No repairs at all, ever! What I deal with is exactly as it was 9.5 years ago when I came off my horse & damaged my knee.

The medial meniscus tear was determined to be down to the articular surface which means down to the covering of the bone. Why it bothers me so little I haven't a clue but I have no intention of doing anything about the tear so long as it's not a bother.

MRI showed an irregular signal in the lateral meniscus which could mean there's a problem there as well. Again, no pain. Obviously there's no flap of torn meniscus that's causing a problem so perhaps that's the reason I'm virtually pain free.

No I can't squat or do some of the other maneuvers I could do 30 years ago but I'm 76 now & doing pretty well - all things considered. Hope this answers your question satisfactorily.
No repairs.

support