Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Major disaster  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Major disaster
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2005, 06:31:21 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm just back from my follow up OS appointment.  The AVN is unchanged on x-ray, which is OK, I guess (would've preferred better...)  I've been having a lot of patellofemoral clicking, which is painful.  My OS said I need to work on quad strengthening and do the bike (which I've been avoiding, because it hurts), but go VERY slow.  And I should be taking NSAID's and icing (which I haven't been) when things hurt instead of avoiding them. 

All in all, he thinks I'm improving (since initially after the fracture I couldn't walk or even touch my knee without screaming), but the area isn't healed yet and I still need to be very careful.

So...I'm not really sure what to think.  More x-rays to come in 6 weeks.  I just need to let the knee guide my activities.

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2005, 11:39:11 PM »
I survived my first full day back on my feet at work ;D.  I sat down as much as I could.  I'm rather stiff, but the pain really isn't too bad.  I just don't want to push my luck.

The PF stuff is really annoying me.  I'll shift my weight and it'll pop, which hurts!

Rather stupidly, I decided to shovel the front walk yesterday while my husband was using the snowblower on the driveway.  Everything was fine (actually the workout felt nice) until I tried to walk down the yard and ended up sledding down on my butt!  The knee seems to be OK, but I swear I saw my life pass in front of my eyes!  My OS would kill me.

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2005, 01:10:54 PM »
Danielle -

Glad you didn't damage anything on that short ride down the  yard.  It is now time to invest in a pair of Yak Trax.  They cost about $20, you can get them at most sporting goods stores, and they fit over all shoes and boots (except for women's dress shoes).  They're basically low level crimpons - they grip the snow and ice, so any sledding you do is intentional.  My house is on a really steep hill, so even though I live in VA, I've had them since my first winter here.  Too dangerous getting from the car to the house and back in icey weather.

Question about your popping - because my knee does that all the time.  It hurts, but not horribly, and the pain dosn't linger at all.  Just pop - ouch - gone.  Have you discussed this with your OS yet?  Just curious.  I have ACI scheduled for February, so I'm not worrying too much about things hurting, on the premise that a) I will hurt much worse before this is finished, and b) they'll be fixing it all soon anyway.

Good luck with being back on your feet.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2005, 01:58:52 PM »
Danielle,

Just a quick question about the PF pain.... Did you have an autograft?  If so, depending on where the donor plug was taken, that may be what is causing a bit of the popping you are experiencing.  I had my donor plugs taken from the lateral trocheal groove, supposedly a non weightbearing area, but have been having some donor site problems.  I had a total of 2 plugs taken from that area, one 10mm and the other 6mm, and I have since been told that those plugs were probably too big to be taken from that area.  I have since developed some serious degeneration in that area and it keeps growing because of the pressure from my baja.  On a ct- scan the area looks like a big gaping hole. 

I'm not telling you this to alarm you just to point out that the donor site is known to cause some problems.  The problems you are experiencing could just as well be from weak quads too.  You never know...I just thought I'd throw the donor site issue out there for you to consider.

Take care,
kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2005, 02:04:43 AM »
I did have an autograft.  Two 8mm plugs from the lateral trochlear groove.  I have some donor site pain from time to time, but this PF stuff isn't it.  Actually, at the time of my last scope, the donor site has a divot, but is completely covered with cartilage and looks OK.  Most of my donor stuff happens when I first get up or if I go outside in the cold, then it's just a bit of aching or grinding. 

My pain's medial, just along the patella and under my big OATS incision, but not medial enough to be the MFC, which feels different anyway.  It is just a pop, ow and gone.  I had some after the OATS itself that went away with quad strengthening.  But it's much worse this time (not allowed to work on quad at all for 6+ weeks, still limited due to that fracture).  I think that some of it is scar tissue too as I've had now 9 scopes and have a big wad of superficial scar tissue in that area.  My OS isn't all that worried about it and told me to deal with it and, hopefully, it will go away again once my quad gets stronger. 

I've also had more problems with my MCL laxity since this last round of NWB too.  We think it's from muscle weakness.  I hope it goes away.  Anyway, I'm back in a brace, which my OS wanted me back in after the OATS, but I wouldn't do it.  Now I don't have much choice.  He told me I'm in it pretty much until I get a TKR (or a knee fusion, as the MCL laxity is problematic even for TKR).  At least I got fitted for a nice comfortable brace.  It's a new Breg and is great, I don't even know it's on (which is a first and I've worn many, many braces in the past few years).

The worst part of the frontyard sledding incident was I wasn't wearing the brace at the time (yeah, really smart, I know...)  I think I'll find some Yak traks.  I think I saw some in the LLBean catalog.  I'm extremely paranoid of slick surfaces right now.  I've actually been paying to park in the garage (up to $20 a day) just so I don't have to risk the parking lot at work (6+ inches of snow and ice on the ground here in PA now.)  Bleah.

Cold weather sucks. 
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2005, 01:25:32 PM »
Danielle -

The cheapest price I've seen for YakTrax is campmor.com.  Here's the link to the product page.  http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/iphrase.jsp?command=text&text=yaktrax

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE mine?  And mine are safety vest orange - not so attractive, but incredibly functional.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2005, 05:47:08 AM »
God I wish I had $1.00 for every time I heard a Doc say just live with it.  I could be a Gates.

Not really a Gates but you get the point.

My right knee developed a lot of scar tissue very slowly, I had not realized how far it had advanced until one day I found I could not flex it past 90 degrees when trying to get into the back seat of a freinds car.  I have a knot of tissue at one of the scope insertion sites.  My knee cap actually tracks well, but this knot (lump) of scar tissue actually tracks along the lateral femoral condyle and bumps along the lateral side of the knee cap.

Hang in there, I will be joing you soon with my left knee, I am scheduled for an allograft on Jan 13th.

R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)