Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hello, I'm new here (37, mum, Cambridge, UK)  (Read 861 times)

Offline mamaofmanyemails

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello, I'm new here (37, mum, Cambridge, UK)
« on: September 30, 2005, 10:32:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new here & just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a 37 year old full time mum to three lovely kids, in Cambridge, UK. I am also a writer, writing lifestyle stuff, when I get the chance.  I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was just eighteen months old in mainly my left knee, but also affecting some other joints.  I'm not up on all the terminology like you guys (but probably will be after a few visits to here!). I also have uveitis in my eyes (have lost sight in left & have been told to expect to lose the actual eyeball before long).  I spent alot of my childhood in & out of hospital - especially Taplow under the care of Dr. Ansell.  I have had umpteen arthroscopies (about a dozen or more, I have lost count) & surgery to my eye.  I have been on all sorts of drugs & treatments but am now at the stage of needing a knee replacement - I think they called it GRADE 4 osteo....something - I'm also extremey hypamobile which is great for being bendy, but not so great when it comes to the pain etc. Physio helps a little, especially in the pool, but the NHS means that I get very little help for too short a time. As some of you guys have probably found, I am also considered too young & lead a too active life for the surgeons to consider knee replacement viable just yet. The Rheumatoligy Clinic feel that drug treatments won't help anymore - and now prescibe pain killers, but these either don't touch the pain or make it difficult for me (with the wooliness of them) to carry on with normal everyday life as a wife & mother to three small active children. 

Whilst I have always tried to lead a life that does not let the RA affect it too much, life now is constantly spent in pain with restricted mobility.  I send my time worrying as to what the future may hold for me & my family and whilst I know that knee replacement will have to happen I know so very little about it that I hope by coming on here I will gain something from your own experiences.  I am trying to gather the knowledge & strength to get through this difficult time.  I want to find decent painrelieving treatments, so I can cope fully with my family life, and to speak with other young women who are going through a smiliar situation.  The only women that Ihave met who have had the knee replacemnt have been pensioners in the hydro pool!  I worry about the time away in hospital away from caring for my family, the chances of thinsg going wrong & being so much worse, and how I & my family will cope with it all.  Anyone that knows me knows that I am proud of being a 'supermum' who hides how bad things are getting, prefering to cope with it all on my own.  I now feel that things have got to a point now where I can't do that, so need to start looking for help & information to get through this next phase. 

Thanks for reading,

Laura

See some of  our favourite family pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/streekfamily

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Hello, I'm new here (37, mum, Cambridge, UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:23:44 PM »
Hi Laura

I would recommend taking a look at the various sections of the board as there are bound to be a few people in the same boat as you who may be able to answer your specific questions. I just thought I should say hello as you're just up the road from me and I used to live in Cambridge (moved out, couldn't afford to move back in  :( but nearest casualty is still Addenbrookes). This is the most valuable source of info I have found so far and everyone is so supportive and helpful it's been a lifeline, good luck I hope you find some useful info as well.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
Re: Hello, I'm new here (37, mum, Cambridge, UK)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 02:30:03 PM »
i know there are people about here that have had/ are having knee replacements very young.  If you try the arthritis section you might find some help.  I reccomend browsing most of the forums, they are very helpful.  Nice to see there are people from the area here (im actually in suffolk) and if you find a good OS please tell me.  im having hell with my knee.  I would just like to say well done for coping so well for so long.  Keep at it with the doctors, they will help if you push them enough.  Dont just let the pain get to you.  Good luck with everything and keep us updated on how it all goes.
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!