Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New to board and I'm in need of answers  (Read 2871 times)

Offline bridaman51

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: New to board and I'm in need of answers
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
80 percent has no cartlidge I beleive cause the fist OS I saw said there was no cartlidge and I was bone on bone.  The second OS said that was not a true measurement that I actually had lost 80%.  my measurment I beleive was aproximetly 1.8 cm.  The original OS said something about if it got be greater than 2 they could not perform the surgery and i would have to go to Duke University (i dont know why and forgot to ask my current OS what that was about).  My current OS was also a little concerned about the size also but said I was still in the range.  He was not going to use cadaver cartilege either he was going to use my own from somewhere.  I guess I am a non informed patient.  I am still trying to read up on the procedure and learn more about it. 

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 08:34:16 PM »
OK - you have a focal lesion measuring less than 2 sq. cm, that has worn away 80% of the cartilage and is nearly to bone.  The way you wrote that at first, I thought that 80% of your knee had no cartilage whatsoever - which is most of your knee.  2 sq cm is considered large for the purpose of OATS, but not in the grand scheme of things.  I have 3 focal lesions - all of them grade 4, completely down to bone.  One measures 18 sq cm, one is 3 sq cm, and the 3rd is I think 2 or 3 sq cm.  I had microfracture, so there may be some fibrocartilage there, but based on my pain, it's not enough.  Now I understand better why they don't want you to wait - if you can have autograft OATS now, or wait and have allograft OATS, I think I'd prefer to not have to wait for a cadaver donor myself.  Good luck with the surgery.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline bridaman51

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 08:50:42 PM »
I apologize I didnt mean to misinform like I said this is all new to me and i am still trying to understand it all.  actually the way you put it helps me alot I understand alot more of what is going on in there.  I see the OS on 26 of October at which time we are supposed to set up the surgery. 

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 08:59:18 PM »
No worries about misinformation here.  We're all just figuring things out as we go along.  I'm still holding onto the thought that you got 9 years of relief from your microfracture.  It's been less than a year since I had it done.  The first 5-6 months were really recovery and healing, then I had about 3-4 good months, but it's been acting up lately.  Maybe if I look at my knee, tell it that this has to work for a lot longer, it will listen.  Good luck with your surgery.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support