Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Are MRI's better today than they were 4 years ago?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Are MRI's better today than they were 4 years ago?
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:02:38 PM »
I had an MRI of my knee back in 2001.  I have a very small piece of metal (probably 1/4 the size of your pinky nail)  under the skin of my kneecap.  Don't know how in the world it got there---maybe when i was a kid.  Anyway---back in 2001, it distorted my MRI image significantly and the "medial aspect of the patellofermoral joint could not be seen".  My new OS yesterday ordered me another one since it has been so long.  My question is: 

Are the MRI's today better than they were four years ago as far as level of detail and ability to not distort the image with such a small piece of metal???

I think the best thing to do would be to go under the skin and take this small piece out but the doctor said it would be almost impossible to find and would be like "going fishing"
"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
Re: Are MRI's better today than they were 4 years ago?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:25:02 PM »
I don't know if they've improved but certainly the experience of the radiologist doing the scans seems to makes a difference.

I think, and don't take my word for it, that they might have made a few changes with regards to the number of magnets used and their positioning etc, But I don't know for certain.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 02:31:22 PM »
Without scientific expertise - it doesn't matter.  MRI is MAGNETIC resonance imaging.  You can improve the tool all you want, but if the metal in your knee responds to the magnet, it will always respond to the magnet.  Did you discuss this with your OS?  There are other imaging tools- bone scan, ct scan, etc.  If your OS thinks all is ok, call the MRI center, and ask them.  If they think they won't be able to get good images, they can contact your OS and explain it better.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:44:05 PM »
Yeah, i discussed it with the doc and he said that MRI is the only thing that would show my knee properly---he said that CT scans won't do it.  It seems like they would have found better technology in the last 4 years that would minimize the "scatter" caused by metal objects.  I realize it will still be there somewhat---but maybe they have learned how to contain it?

-FG

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »
The scanner is going to react to the metal, it's a physical fact, and you cannot change how metal (that can be magnetized) reacts to a magnet.  The only thing that could help in reducing the scatter would be in the programming that takes the scans and then prints out the images.  I don't know if they have developed that yet, or if it is possible to do it.
good luck

rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »
well maybe there is a way to get this damn piece of metal out of knee?????????

-FG

support