Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus Surgery  (Read 861 times)

Offline dlmsjdavidson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Surgery
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:59:09 PM »
I'm 40 and thought I was 20 about 10 weeks ago when I injured my knee playing soccer with a bunch of 15 year olds.
The doc sent me to P/T for about 4 weeks...........that did not work so he finally ordered an MRI.
The MRI result was two tears in my lateral and medial meniscus.
Had the Arthro surgery.........doc only found 1 tear.  Surgery was 2 weeks ago.

My knee feels pretty much the same.  Still cannot bend all the way back.  Cannot flex the quad muscle and still cannot totally straighten the leg.

I'm not very good about sitting around,  icing, taking anti-inflams or pain meds........so part of this lack of recovery could be my fault........

The other odd pain was a couple of days ago I was stepping up on step and the step wobbled and it felt like the muscle on the top of my leg/knee was getting ripped off the bone.............that pain lasted about 10 minutes, then swelling.............

So my question:  at what point should I be thinking the surgery was unsucessful.  How much should I be resting.

Part of the reason I'm not resting is because my doc said  "ooh I did this surgery on this 50 year old guy and he was out working on his ranch that same day"...and I've heard other stories like that, so I'm just assuming I should be able to do the same.....................

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Meniscus Surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:58:20 PM »
Other peoples stories are all well and good but everyone is different and recoveries vary a great deal. I'm 4 weeks post op, was in a splint for 2 weeks and am only just down to one crutch and just got past 100 deg flexion yesterday.
Have you still got swelling as this can affect rom, if so take some time to raise it and ice it?
Were you unable to bend or straighten much before surgery as this could contribute to the problems you are having now?
Have you had any physio or follow up from the surgery?
If you are still having trouble you should get back to the doc and tell him. Meanwhile you can do some exercises that should help your rom and get your quads working such as passive extension, sit or lay on a firm surface and rest your heel on a cushion or phone directory and relax your leg, gravity does the work for you. Another one is to place a pillow under your knee and try to push it down using your quads. Straight leg raises are good sit or lay again, straighten as much as you can, point your foot upwards and lift and hold then lower slowly. If your lower leg droops when you try and do this lay on your side, straighten and raise your leg hold it straight and then roll over on to your back and lower this should retrain yor brain to know when your leg is straight. I was also told to sit with the leg hanging lossely and swing it back and forth gently as this can help strectch the muscles without straining them. A physio would obviously be able to explain these better and make sure you are doing them correctly. Sorry for the essay but hope it helps.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:38:27 PM »
Part of the reason I'm not resting is because my doc said  "ooh I did this surgery on this 50 year old guy and he was out working on his ranch that same day"...and I've heard other stories like that, so I'm just assuming I should be able to do the same

Yeah I fell for that too. A mate of mine had a scope and he reckoned he was back playing Gridiron within 4 weeks. I thought it'd be a piece of cake.

Fast forward 2 months and I'm only just getting over it and I've only just started to run.

My advice for you? Take it easy and go at your own pace. I don't think you should you be using anyone else's progress as a yard stick for your own recovery, otherwise you might end up being disappointed.

I guess the moral of my story is, everybody is different. Some of us heal faster then others.

Good luck.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 02:06:01 PM »
Good advise (yes, SPK well done! ;D)

I had an 70 year old lady question me 6 weeks after my ACL reconstruction as to why I wasnt walking better because her brother (who was 80 apparently) had his hip replaced and was riding a bike at 5 weeks. Since this was about the 40th time someone that day had asked why I wasnt walking properly yet, I nearly throttled her, but the nice person inside restrained it..... apart from the fact that a hip replacement is totally different to a knee reconstruction is a bit beside the point, but what I was trying to get to is that we all recover differently from surgeries, and will have a slightly different experience.  I wsa told that ACL recos are very painful.... I've hardly had any, I was told I'd be off the crutches in 2 weeks.... took 6.  I wsa told that I'd be running at 3 months... Im at 5 and only just able to do it.... so while might be taking a bit longer to meet milestones, I havent had any pain (I dont think I have any nerves in my knee!!!! ;)) I also got my ROM quicker then some of my friends have.  So I'll give you the advise my OS gave me.  "Be guided by the pain and swelling". Listen to your knee, if it has had enough, then rest it, ice it and take the anti inflams. 

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

support