Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Portal massage  (Read 1162 times)

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
Portal massage
« on: March 04, 2003, 04:24:50 PM »
I'd like to know more about portal massage after surgery, but I can't seem to find anything in my searching.  Maybe you all can help me.

What is the purpose?  How is it done?  Is it OK (or recommended) for everyone?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Portal massage
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 02:30:56 PM »
I don't know about who should be doing it, but as it was explained to me, it's just gently rubbing the skin a few times a day. I tend to have dry skin, so I was using a sterile aloe-vera based skin ointment (translucent green gunk) to lubricate it all and soften the skin.

The purpose is just to stop scar tissue making the skin stiffen up - the regular massage stops the scar tissue turning into hard lumps. It worked OK in my case, one of the holes is practically invisible, the other is noticeably red, but it's not lumpy or painful or anything.

(I did get some plasters from Boots that are supposed to make marks like that go away, but I haven't got round to reading the instructions properly yet.)

You just sort of rub round the holes; move the skin about, very gently, it doesn't have to be harsh or anything. You should check with your OS/Physio first though and I'm sure they'll demonstrate.

I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?