Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has MRI Technology Advanced in the last 4 years??  (Read 1603 times)

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Has MRI Technology Advanced in the last 4 years??
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:00:46 PM »
I had an MRI of my knee back in 2001.  I have a very small piece of metal (probably 1/4 the size of your pinky nail)  under the skin of my kneecap.  Don't know how in the world it got there---maybe when i was a kid.  Anyway---back in 2001, it distorted my MRI image significantly and the "medial aspect of the patellofermoral joint could not be seen".  My new OS yesterday ordered me another one since it has been so long.  My question is: 

Are the MRI's today better than they were four years ago as far as level of detail and ability to not distort the image with such a small piece of metal???
"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Has MRI Technology Advanced in the last 4 years??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:28:59 PM »
I'm not a scientist or radiologist, or anything, but - I'd say it doesn't really matter.  By definition an MRI is MAGNETIC resonance imaging.  If you have metal that responds to a magnet in your knee, ir will always respond to the magnet, distorting the view.  It won't matter how much they improve MRI technology, it's still based on magnetics.  Did you discuss this with your OS?  There are other imaging tools -  bone scans, ct scans, etc. that should not be affected by this piece of metal.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
Re: Has MRI Technology Advanced in the last 4 years??
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:43:31 PM »
Yeah, i discussed it with the doc and he said that MRI is the only thing that would show my knee properly---he said that CT scans won't do it.  It seems like they would have found better technology in the last 4 years that would minimize the "scatter" caused by metal objects.  I realize it will still be there somewhat---but maybe they have learned how to contain it?
"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG