Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Acute Dislocation  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Julie05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Acute Dislocation
« on: September 29, 2005, 01:14:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, as I have never hurt me knee before, until now.  I will just tell you what happened to me.

I was at work last week when suddenly I tripped and must have put my left leg out, twisting the top of leg, then collapsed on the floor.  Very embarrasing!!.

Well I was in agony, I wouldn't let anyone touch my leg, they had to cut my trouser leg off, and when I saw my knee I nearly passed out - both with pain and the looks of it.  My knee cap was over the left side near enough under the back of my knee and the swelling was gross, totally abnormal.  Luckily I work at a hospital and the A & E staff came over and transported me to casulty.  There they gave me gas and air. I did tell them I wanted to be put to sleep! but the doctors said theres no time for that, one got hold of the foot and the other twisted my knee back into position...I screamed to say the least.  I went for xrays, which must have been normal and was put into a plaster cast, they said it would be on for 5 weeks.

Anyway, on Tuesday I went to see the consultant, and I told him that I had pins and needles in my foot, he twiddled my toes, and ordered the plaster to be taken off, and I was to wear a brace for two weeks, then start physio. Sounds very easy, but I find it difficult walking in the brace as it falls down onto my knee, which makes the pain worse.  I can't put any weight onto the leg without the brace, so i'm walking round holding the brace up.  Has anybody got any idea what I could do about this problem? Oh I also still get the pins and needles.
Also I know this may sound strange, but when I feel under my knee there doesn't seem to be those two liagments that run down the back of the knee (thats if they are ligaments).  My knee feels like jelly and when I do try and bend it, it just feels horrible. My knee is still extremely swollen and if I do move it into a certain position I get sharp pains, sometimes it feels like its burning.
Also, sorry to go on, but is it normal for anyone with this injury to have twitches in their calf muscle, along with pain, they are like electric shocks!!

Thank you for reading this. I hope someone can answer my questions

Julie

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
Re: Acute Dislocation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 01:27:36 PM »
Hi Julie,

What you've described can't be described as normal - but it's not normal for your knee cap to trwvel to the other side of your leg either! I'm not surprised though by anything you've said. It's all to be expected under the circumstances. The pain/unstable jelly like feelings will come and go for a while, so take painkillers an danti-inflammatory drugs if you can to manage the pain. If there's a point where they don't work and you end up in complete agony, then there's something else going on which needs sorting. From what you've said though, it's just the after effects of dislocations.
What sort of brace do you have? Try other types of knee brace/support until you find one you can get on with. At the end of the day it comes down to what works for you. If you need to keep your leg completely straight, you could try a cricket splint. This won't slip over your knee as it's totally adjustable so you have it as tight or as loose as you want.
You could ask youre doc/OS for a different brace or you could buy one yourself. it's up to you. They're not that expensive. After all it's your knee and in my experience, recovery needs to be as comfortable as possible, given the amount of pain you can go through trying to get better.
One other thing - everybody's knees are different and someone with the same injury will heal differently. We can all give advice, but don't forget we all have our own experience to base it on. So just because your knee doesn't do something that mine does, for example, don't worry. It doesn't mean it's all gone pear shaped.
Here's to a pain free recovery. keep us posted.
Take care

Regards

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:37:49 PM »
Hi Julie,

So sorry you've had to go through such a tough time.  I've had countless dislocations, some of them pretty severe where I've had to actually whack/thump the kneecap back into place  :'(, I experienced the electric shock type pains in the calves you're talking about, along with cramp, pins and needles, stiffness, sharp pains, aching pains and a whole host of other weird things  >:(  I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it gets a lot worse quickly then thats probably a sign that there's something not right going on.  As Laura has said, the jelly feeling is more than likely due to all the swelling and fluid in the knee, this should settle down eventually.  I had the same problem with the brace, the only way I could fix that problem was by wearing ankle boots (which my husband had to put on and take off for me  ::)) with a rim round the ankle which held the bottom of the brace in place, it did work for me but I'm sure there are other things you could try, perhaps ask your PT about it, they might have some good ideas.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Julie05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 02:42:01 PM »
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies.

What a good idea, wearing boots, I never thought of that!! Just have to get some wider jeans. :)

Reading all the messages about peoples knee problems and how long they can go on for makes me feel quite lucky really.  I do not know how you all cope with recurrent dislocations, it must make you so aware all the time,that it could just 'slip out' again. and how anyone can pop their knee back in is really quite amazing. 
My doctor did say that once you have a dislocation, it could happen again, but with physio, especially working on the quads this reduces the risk. (I can't even feel my quad at the moment, let alone tense it! :-\)

I know everyone recovers at different rates but roughly how long would you say it takes - to get your knee
back to how it was?

Thanks again

Julie  :)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 07:27:59 PM »
Hi Julie,

Your knee could be back to "normal" within a few weeks if you are able to get stuck into some intensive physio. But that will depend on the amount of swelling and pain you're suffering. My first dislocaton took a few weeks for my knee to feel almost normal again. A week after it happened I started intensive physio (every day at hospital other than weekends) for 6 weeks and really did push myself hard.
Unfortunately it dislocated again 11 weeks later. I went through the same physio again and it took just a few weeks. I was back at school at the time, playing all the sports I could get involved in and it was as though nothing had gone wrong in the first place.
Other people will take longer to recover initially purely as a result of circumstance. Maybe they don't do as much physion, maybe there's more soft tissue damage/swelling/pain etc. you just gotta go with what's right for you and what you're capable of. By all means push yourself, but don't overdo it.

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:11:30 AM »
Hello Laura

The way the hospital dr shoved your knee back into place without anisatice it  terrible, no bout it would of hurt something chronic, I think the dr was being sadist. [like seeing people in pain] I hope your knee get better soon.

Offline Julie05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 10:58:12 AM »
Hi again,

I know it did seem quite sadistic.

Thanks for all your replies and well wishes, its nice to think that there are people who know what your going through.  When I speak to my friends they just say 'its only a dislocation not a break or anything'  ONLY A DISLOCATION - cheek!!!

Thanks again.

Julie

Offline al365

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 04:53:34 PM »
When I speak to my friends they just say 'its only a dislocation not a break or anything'  ONLY A DISLOCATION - cheek!!!

Hi Julie  - That must be so annoying, but guess they are simply just a little ignorant about what exactly has happened, I reckon perhaps if they saw your knee & the pain you were in at the time of the injury they would think differently!

It's a really unpleasant thing that you've gone through.  Stick to the advice of the consultant and physios and you'll get back the strength and control in your knee before you know it!   Best wishes

Al