Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: question re: MRI results  (Read 856 times)

Offline mcbride25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
question re: MRI results
« on: September 29, 2005, 04:51:28 AM »
I have had knee prob for several years and have already have had two surgeries. I had an MRI today and I am confused on the results. Everything looked normal except for an Type II intersubstance signal abnormality of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. Report also states that it does not definitely reach the surface of the meniscus. So i am wondering what this means and if there is a possibiliy that i have a tear. I do not go back to the dr till monday and i cant wait till then to figure out what all this means. Can anyone explain.

thanks

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: question re: MRI results
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »
It sounds like they suspect a tear.  When a tear doesn't reach the surface it's much harder to find and treat.  In a completely un-medical image, picture an air bubble stuck inside your meniscus.  Because it's not on the surface, you can't find it to get rid of it.  I'm not sure how they handle treatment for this type of degeneration.  On the one hand, if it hasn't reached the surface it won't cause damage to the articular cartilage.  On the other hand, if the knee hurts.....

Monday's not that far away.  No matter what any of us say here, it's your doctor who can best explain your condition and your treatment plan.

Good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:40:16 PM »
Oh god. MRI's.

I tried to do the same as you and look at mine to see if I could spot anything. I might as well have been looking at those 3D puzzles because I couldn't see anything. My doctor pointed them out and that was fine but when I got home to look again I couldnt find them for the life of me.

Leave it to the professionals otherwise you might see something you think is abnormal and wind up giving yourself a nasty scare.  ;)
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 08:59:39 PM »
I would just wait until Monday to have your doc. assess you again. MRI's in my opinion are a waist of time, they rarely even show whats correct.
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

support