Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need more detailed info about realignment surgery....please....  (Read 1423 times)

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
need more detailed info about realignment surgery....please....
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:31:59 PM »
I am new to the board but need help from you guys who know your stuff.  I am scheduled for a distal realignment surgery in Nov.  My patella sits on the outside groove.  This knee has never subluxed before but is wearing the cartlige out.  My O.S. says that realigning could buy me l0 years if it is successful and has a 70% success rate.  But  a problem I am wondering about, he did an MRI about 5 years ago and said that my patella is very small and the groove is not deep enough,.  Will this hinder the success rate of my surgery?  any info would be greatly appreciated. 
MHillman

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: need more detailed info about realignment surgery....please....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:47:40 PM »
Hi MHillman,

I've not had this specific type of surgery but I know that a small kneecap and shallow trochlea groove should not affect adversely the forthcoming surgery. Your OS may consider reconstructing your trochlear groove so your patella will sit more comfortably in the groove, preventing it from sitting on the outside. He may do it all in one go. I don't think there's much that can be done about a small kneecap though. Just remember to ask your OS loadsa questions and if your not sure about something or don't understand him, ask him to explain.
Hope you get on OK. Keep us posted.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 07:52:05 PM »
Hi Mhillman,

Because your kneecap is not subluxing nor dislocating the distal realignment should work just fine to get the patella tracking properly.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Take care,
Patty

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 09:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  Just trying to learn as much as I possibly can before surgery.  Finding this site is a blessing for me for sure. 
MHillman

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:04:54 PM »
Hi,

I've had this surgery on both my knees and both my kneecaps are very small, I have trochlear dysplasia (groove is pretty much non-existent) and hypermobility, all these things combined did not hinder the success of my TTTs (distal realignment), both of them were a 100% success.  Good luck, hope yours are as successful as mine.  If you need further information just IM me or have a look at the patello femoral section where you'll find loads of info on this type of procedure.

Natalie.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 12:09:07 PM by Natalie.D »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline SammRyann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
In need of information of Distal Realignment Surgery
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
I'm not scheduled for distal realignment surgeyr quite yet, but I'm working on it. I've gotten three opinions on my right knee and they all say that both of my knees are the same. Meaning the patellar tendon attatches at the same point at both legs but only the right knee bothers me frequently. They attribute that to it being my dominate leg and having multiple sports injuries done to it. I'm a collegiate athlete and was just wondering the recovery time and how frequently they have to do one screw vs two and screw removal.    Any experience, advice, or information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
I think the recovery time involves 6 weeks of non-weight bearing. Have you been checked for any rotational abnormalities?
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline SammRyann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »
Yes I have. I don't have any abnormalities.