Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: need help standing my mom up  (Read 976 times)

Offline flipflop

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
need help standing my mom up
« on: September 27, 2005, 01:03:25 AM »
I need a brilliant suggestion from someone.

My mom has ALS, and uses a walker and  power wheelchair because her legs are weak.

I need someone to tell me how to stand her up from a seated position.

My L knee is very weak and I have limited ROM ( 0 - 85 degrees).  My approach has been to wedge my good knee between her knees, put my bad leg behind me, wrap my arms under her arm pits and pull up and back.  I am very worried about both of us toppling over.  If my dad or brother are home they do it, but they aren't always home.

Please help.

fliplflop
91 LR, medial reefing, debridement; 93 Fulkerson osteotomy, debridement; 94 scar revision (suture allergy) hardware removal; 95 debridement; 3/05 LR, debridement led to staph infection & 2 irrigation & lavages;
arthrofibrosis; 7/06 LOA & AIR; 1/07 peroneal n. damage

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
Re: need help standing my mom up
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:17:03 AM »
Hi flipflop...
How is work going? I hope it is still going well! I don't have any great suggestions for lifting, but depending where you are, you might be able to get a visiting nurse or occupational therapist to do a home visit to show you a couple of different ways to do the lift.

Sorry I am not more helpful!
Heather W.
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:22:08 AM »
You might want to check into a home health care supply store and see if they carry a strap of some sorts that they use in nursing homes to move patients in bed? You could wrap around her waist to pull her up. That is a lot of strain on your bad leg with that dead weight to lift. I had a hard enough time getting my Dad out of bed or a chair or the toilet when I had good knees. Getting up under the armpits and lifting up is hard.
The way you are describing it you are doing it as good as I can think of. One thing I did was to take 4 X 4 inch wood blocks and chisel out an area so the feet of his recliner fit in securely. But that extra 3 inches of height on the chair made it easier to get him up.
We finally got a recliner that had the remote control power unit that brought him upto a standing position. It was about 700 dollars in 2000.

Do you have any ceiling mounted pulleys over the bed like a winch system ? Just trying to think of something to help you out there. With you bad knee your prone to hurting your back too doing that lifting.
Do you have an ALS support group that you can contact to find out how they move people around?
Best wishes, Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline spradders

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:47:50 AM »
I think the best way to do this is to place your right foot as a wedge in front of her feet on the floor.  Get her to sit up straight, then to push up with her left hand on one side of the chair.  While she is doing this, you support the elbow of her right arm and place a hand on her back.  By having your foot in front of hers, it gives her something to push against as she gets up and it makes it much easier for both of you.  Hope this helps!

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 08:04:40 PM »
hello,

noooooooooooooooooooooo,
sorry for that but not only will you damage your back, but you are at risk of really hurting your mum.  The under armpit handling is now banned in hospitals, this is because ther is a nerve located in the armpit, and if damaged it will cause your mum lots of pain and loss of sensation.  This would not help her to get up on her own at all.
If at all possible then get your mum to move as close to the edge of the seat as possible, then get her to push herself up whilst you are guiding her by holding an arm across her back.  For this you need to be standing beside her at the side of the chair.  Ideally you would be kneeling and be using the good huge thigh muscles to take the strain, (not the little tender muscles of the back) but that is not sometimes possible.
I work as a health care assistant in a hospital in England.  Where do you live? ideally you should get in contact with your local social services who would be able to help with any equipment hire/use.
if you need any more help do not hesitate to ask.

Louise
LR + debridemant of patella and femur 3 october 2005