Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Does recovery time really depend on the person?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Bmm1821

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Does recovery time really depend on the person?
« on: August 17, 2005, 02:19:47 AM »
I have to have ACL surgery but I heard that recovery may take a long time. That scares me because I don't have a lot of time in between  my schools activities, I mean who does. But someone else told me recovery depends greatly on the person. Is this true? If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated.
<3 Bmm1821

Offline sharon_g

• Regular Poster
Re: Does recovery time really depend on the person?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:30:52 AM »
I don't think so-  I guess you mean whether you heal fast or slow?

I have a friend who has his ACL done, and he won awards for the slowest healer, he is physically active and eventually fully made it through it.

My ACL has been terribly slow, due to getting bursitis in the knee (interferes with rehab in a big way).  I have been trying to be religious about my exercises, have a great set of physical therapists.  But my injury has been so complicated that I shouldn't be suprised.  I got my extension and ROM back really fast.  I ditched the crutches and brace fairly quick, I just stall at getting past the basic walking premise.

I think it is important to have a good surgeon and a good physical therapist and follow the program.  then your body will heal at the pace your body wants to heal at.  Listen to your body. 

Recovery may take a long time, but you will be fairly mobile way faster than you probably think

sharon
R TPFX-Type I/II-No Surgery,stress fracture - 01/04
Scope 05/04- meniscus cleanup,femur,tibia and patella cartilage shaving, femoral cartilage degeneration
MCL Strain (Healed Long)
ACL hamstring reconstruction (healed long) - 4/21/05

Offline dalvino

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 02:57:48 AM »
I ruptured my patella tendon last week playing basketball at a company outing in California. I am due to go into surgery next week. After speaking with my surgeon at the University of Michigan...He told me that due to the fact that I have been a bodybuilder for twenty years that my mobility will come back quicker than most but expect to be on cruthes for at least six months and not be fully recovered for at least one year. This could not have happened at a worse time...home being remodeled..new job...and fall golf. I think the take away is be appreciative for every step you take when this is all done. WHAT A DRAG! I am thankful that I work in sales out of my home. The plane ride back from CA was absolute murder

Offline deb3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:09:58 PM »
Hi,

Yes it depends on the person and the rehab protocl of the OS.

I am now almost 5 months post acl recon and meniscus tear.  I was FWB immediately post surgery and had no crutches or brace.  I was given the ok to drive after 12 days post op and was back in the gym doing cycle and walking on the treadmill after 4 weeks. 

I am now playing golf after 2.5 mths and am actually back horse riding after 4 mths.

Good luck with the op.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 04:05:51 PM »
Hi

If you care to send me your e-mail address, I will send you three e-mails giving the full rehab process

You must realise that you have suffered a very RARE injury.

Best wishes
JohnK/Manchester UK

[email protected]
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 04:27:31 PM »
Hi,

Here is a general rehab protocol that might offer info for you also.

http://www.aclsolutions.com/rehab.php

Shade

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »
Hi

Thanks Shade - have added this website to my collection - all good stuff

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UIK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline shazbrown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »
Hi

I had an ACL reconstruction to my right knee just about 6 years ago  at the ago of 55 and after having a cyclops lesion removed about 5 months later and a further arthroscopy to clear out some debris, decided to live with the the swelling.  I could do most everything I wanted but found it fluctuated from day to day. I was unable to kneel and found getting up off the floor quite difficult.

6 weeks ago I had a TKR to my left knee which has thrown all the weight bearing and work on to the reconstructed ACL and it's been wonderful.  I wonder whether I was just too frightened to use it naturally before, but now I have to it's standing up well and in fact the swelling which was pretty permanent has gone down!   I think as long as you follow your physio's advice and do the exercises you'll probably have no problems!   It's certainly better than it was before

Good luck
Drain Removal  27/8/05
TKR LK 23/8/05
Arthroscopy LK 05/05
Arthroscopy LK 12/04
Arhtroscopy RK 2000
Arthroscopy and Cyclops Lesion removal RK 2000
ACL RK 2000
Arthroscopy RK 2000

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
Bmm,
To some extent, yes I do think recovery time depends upon the person. Of course you can't make it go any faster than it is but I do think that having a positive attitude and doing all your post-op instructions can make a big difference or even how old you are, younger kids heal more quickly than the older folks.
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy