Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: viral infection  (Read 1190 times)

Offline supercatey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
viral infection
« on: March 04, 2003, 07:05:39 AM »
Has anyone been diagnosed with a viral infection in the knee?  I have been reading up on my symptoms (swelling, pain and every test in the world normal) and think that might be my problem. Also my symptoms started after I was sick for a long time with stupid colds and then a real whizz bang mystery fever. When I asked an Orthopod he said he really didn't know anything about viral infections in any joint. But from what I have been reading they can last for years.

Has anyone else had knee swelling that began after an illness?

Catey

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: viral infection
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 10:42:16 AM »
Hi Catey,
I have heard of infectious arthritis - this can be bacteria, fungal of viral infection of a joint. What I have read about viral infections is that they tend to go away on their own. How long have you had the swelling, and have you seen a rheumatologist at all?
I have had constant swelling in my knee for over 3 years, but no illness beforehand. My rheumatologist has told me that there are 100s of reasons for swelling of a joint for which a specific reason cannot be attributed - often because the original culprit (such as infection/virus) has long gone.
Guess this isnt of much help to you, but anyway, best of luck with finding an answer.
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.