Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any words of wisdom-having arthroscopy for a torn medial meniscus MONDAY!!  (Read 1247 times)

Offline RobinH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am more than a little scared and i am 49!!!! Anything I should know that the Dr won't tell me?  When will I be able to go upstairs again and how hard is it to navigate with crutches.  I have never had any surgery in my life.....guess i have been just lucky. What pain killer should I ask for?
Thanks for any advice!
Robin

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Any words of wisdom-having arthroscopy for a torn medial meniscus MONDAY!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 10:39:51 PM »
Hey Robin,
OIt differnt for everyone, some people walk out of surgery without crutches after having some of their meniscus removed. Do you know if your OS is removing or repairing it? That makes a difference in recovery. Besides that from my understanding, its not too big a procedure so try not to worry too much!!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Julia C.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 10:56:56 PM »
I'm just over a week from my first knee surgery (44 years old) and I would advise writing down all the questions that come to you between now and Monday, as they come to you - you probably won't remember them at the right time otherwise. You'll get to see the Dr before your surgery and ask all your questions then. Write the answers down - so take paper and pen.

I don't which country you're in, if in the UK and it's similar to me they'll probably send you home with loads of pain killers, also you'll see a physiotherapist soon after the operation and they will make sure you can go up and down stairs and teach you how to use the crutches if that's appropriate, before they let you go home.

Good luck, I understand your worries, just take it step by step! :D
Sept 2005 - Benign tumour removed from right knee, diagnosed as localised pigmented villonodular synovitis.

Offline weezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 02:41:02 PM »
Hi,

I am now only 1 week away from a LR and debridment, and understand the fears you are going through.  I am only 36, and I am a mum of 2.  Two days after surgery I have to get my youngest to heathrow airport, then on the 6th day my husband flie off to the states on business for a week.  this will leave me housebound with no way of getting around.  I am so hoping I am one of the lucky ones who recover quickly.  But I just know that I wont be. ??? but I think I have a small solution to getting to the shops for the small things.  My local shopmobility do long term rentals on its scooters, 25 per week.
I can have races with my mother-in-law.  But anyway enough about me, best of luck tomorrow and keep us posted in the post op board.

Louise
LR + debridemant of patella and femur 3 october 2005

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 03:22:12 PM »
Hi
I am 53 and just 13 days post op for acl replacement.   Everything went fine, but I too had never had surgery, and was very worried.   The pre surgery anxiety was much worse than the reality.   
Yes, write down your questions and concerns now so you will have notes to refer too when you meet with your Dr.s
Read and learn as much as you can at this site.  Educate yourself about your proceedure, and talk to your Dr. about any concerns.   Be brave.  Think about how good it will be to have it over with.
Everyone is different, but if you are afraid of feeling nausea after surgery, tell them that, ane they can give you something for that.   I experienced NO nausea, and no problems with my pain meds.   Some folks have problems, but again discuss that with your Dr. 
Everything went so quickly once I entered the hospital that I almost didn't have time to worry.
Remember, your surgeon is doing what he/she is best at.  They do theis every day, and have things down to an art.   
As for the crutches, if you could try them out before surgery it would be helpful.   It is not too hard to get the hang of it, and someone will probably teach you how.   Ask them about that and for someone to help you prior to surgery.
Good luck, and remember that you are not alone!
Ann
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

Offline comickie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »
Hi
Good luck with your surgery.  I am sure that you will find that your fears are worse then the actual procedure will be as that was the case with me earlier this week.  I had knee surgery (my 5th one) on  my left knee this past Monday on 9/26/05.  I had torn cartlage removed and a tear in the meniscus repaired.  I left the surgery center on crutches Monday after the procedure which by the way only took about 40 min. start to finish as I arrived at 10:00am and was home again by 12noon and by the way, I was put under with general anesthetic for the entire procedure.  I even felt good enough to stop and have a mexican lunch on the way home.  I am 3 days post op now and no longer in need of my crutches to get around.  I have had little to NO pain with the entire procedure.  I only took the prescribed pain medications the day of the surgery as a preventive thing until I knew that the pain would not be too bad.  I am still wearing the dressings that they put on after surgery as they will come off on Monday when I return to the OS for a followup visit.  I am very pleased with my progress as I already have about 95% of my full range of motion back in it after just 3 days.  I think that this is one of the easiest knee surgerys that I have ever had.  By the way, what part of the world are you from? are you in the US? in the area that you live in, are their surgery centers available to have it done in or do you have to go into a regular hospital for the surgery?  Well good luck to you and keep us all posted to as to how you are doing after the surgery.  keep a good positive attitude as that does tend to make a difference with your overall recovery.  Ask you OS for photos of the scope as they are really neat to see and they can take them during the procedure as they will for your records, ask them for copies for you.  My surgeon did that Monday and I was able to see the actual tear and the repair work.  They should be more then willing to do this for you.  and oh yes, Darvacet is a good pain medication for knee surgery.  good luck to you!
Mickey

support