Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: microfracture surgery. what should i expect  (Read 7079 times)

Offline paultom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture surgery. what should i expect
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
I am flying out to Germany from the UK on 10th October, to have microsurgery on my knee to hopefully repair chrondomalacia problem i have on my patellar. What should i expect? How long a recovery period is it? crutches how long? Pain? scars? anyone with any info i will appreciate it.
Thanks

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: microfracture surgery. what should i expect
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:56:51 PM »
replied to your post in general questions but I dont remember if you said where your microfracture will be? On what part of the knee? Different OSs have different protocals so there is no way to judge how long you will be on crutches,. good luck
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 06:19:16 AM »
Every case is different.  It is important that you don't compare your surgery to any one elses because no two surgeries are the same.  It depends on the degree of damage, the location of the damage, your age, your physical condition prior to surgery, your willingness to follow your doctor's orders no matter  how difficult  that may be as well as your willingness to cooperate with your physical therapy.  Even your doctor doesn't know exactly what he/she  is going to find until they actually get in there to take a look.   Some people are allowed to bear weight on the leg right away with the use of a brace while others are completely non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks.  And that all depends on the  location of the damage.  If you end up in the non-weight bearing  group your  doctor will give you exercises to do to help prevent blood clots.  I can't tell you how important it is for you to do those  exercises.  One is called Heal  Pumps...do them as much as possible.  Another one is quad sets....they hurt but force yourself to do them anyway.  I was non-weight bearing and I did not do the heal pumps or the quad sets and I ended up getting a blood clot. The treatment for a blood clot is pure torcher.  It starts with giving yourself two shots a day in the stomach for 10 days of a drug called Lovenox.  Then you have to be on a medication called coumadin for three  months.  Because these medications are anticoagulants you have to get your blood tested at  least once a week but  some  people have to have a blood test  done every day.  And you have to take the medication for 3-6 months. The bottom line is.... DO YOUR  EXERCISES!!!  I wish I had done mine.  Another thing is that if you smoke stop right now.  Smoking can cause problems during surgery and also increases your chances of developing a blood clot.  Some other suggestions that I  have for you is:  Get your hair done in a convient style  before your surgery.  Getting in and out of the shower, unless you have a walk in shower, is tough, get one of those seats for your tub/shower.  Go shopping for foods that  are easy to prepare or that need very little preperation but that are healthy.  Buy drinks that come in sealed containers.  You can put them into a bag so you can carry them from room to room in your house.  It is impossible to carry a cup of  coffee or tea while  on  crutches...buy a thermos, it will make your life  easier.  Look around your house for tripping hazzards and remove them.  The weather is going to be changing within the next 6-8 weeks so you should get out clothes you will need when the weather changes.  In my case I had my surgery at the  beginning of May and it was still quite  cool out.  However, a few weeks  later  we started  having summer and I was boiling in the clothes I  had out and all my summer shirts were packed away on our  second floor and I couldn't get to them.  Also, pick out books  to read and have them  where you can get  to the easily.  If you enjoy a craft make sure to get supplies ahead of time.  Pick up some  rug  latch kits or something to help occupy your time.  For me, the hardest part of the whole thing was the boredom.  I even picked up some  crayons and coloring books 'cause I  was so bored!!!  Make sure you have  enough shampoo,  conditioner, soap and deodorant to last you  6-8 weeks.  It's very hard to get around on crutches and shopping is really tough.  Stock up ahead of time to make life  easier for yourself. 

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 03:48:14 PM »
One more thing.... I am convinced that attitude is everything  going into surgery.  I was determined to treat my surgery experience and rehab as an adventure.  I took photographs all along the journey from my pre-op appointments all the  way through the rehab process.  And, just as if I was embarking on any adventure, I kept a journal from the  beginning to the present day.  If you were to go on a journey, maybe you dicide that you are going to walk from one end of Germany to the  other.  No doubt you would have good times  during the journey and  no doubt there would be some times  that  weren't so good.  But the whole journey would be an adventure you'd be telling your  grandchildren about.  This is how I treated my surgery, as an adventure.  I was determined to stay possitive and upbeat through the whole thing no matter  what happened along the way. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 03:53:59 PM by kittent1211 »

Offline paultom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »
I am flying out to Germany from the UK on 10th October, to have microsurgery on my knee to hopefully repair chrondomalacia problem i have on my patellar. What should i expect? How long a recovery period is it? crutches how long? Pain? scars? anyone with any info i will appreciate it.
Thanks
Thanks for your advice, i am dreading the surgery as i live in the UK and having the op done in Germany i am concerned about after care! but thnks

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 05:48:56 PM »
I would contact the doctor who is doing your surgery with your concerns.  I have found that the best way to get the best response is to fax my doctor with my questions.  That way, he can respond when he has the time.  It's different then a telephone call that may be at a time that is not convient for him/her.  A telephone call requires an immediate response where as, faxing the doctor with your questions and concerns is better because it gives him time to think about his/her response first.  I fax my doctor and then either he  or is PA call me back with the answers.  It works out welll for both of us and I get the answers that I need and want.  It also gives you the opportunity to think about your questions and get them all laid out on paper. 

Also, many times the doctor can't really give you the answers until he/she gets into your knee to see exactly what's going on.  I went in for a simple meniscus reapair but once my OS got in there he found a much bigger mess then he anticipated and had to do a microfracture instead.  There was no way he could have known that ahead of time and no way he could have prepared me for it ahead of time. 

Teresa
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 06:10:20 PM by kittent1211 »

Offline paulc35

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
Thanks

Recovery can be quite long. As others have stated depending on severity it can be lengthy.  Mine was 4 months before I returned to work.  I walk a lot at work and the one thing I learned. NO! Hard impacts. Like running upstairs. 

I went into surgery for what was thought to be a second meniscus surgery, but once in there a had severe damage and bone loss.  Much better now and been going for 18 mos.  I will get occasional bouts of pain, but nothing serious yet