Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopic surgery tomorrow!!!!  (Read 2750 times)

Offline irvinbl97

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthroscopic surgery tomorrow!!!!
« on: September 22, 2005, 03:41:42 PM »
I am scheduled to have an arthroscopic surgery on my right knee tomorrow morning. This will be the 4th time on this knee. At my last appointment, the doctor told me straight up that he had no idea what was wrong, but that he knew something was going on, because I'm in so much pain. When I went back for my pre-op appointment yesterday, he told me that he has been doing some reading on a study that was done. He said it tells what the problem is, but doesn't say how to fix it. I felt so much better after talking with him yesterday! I'm hoping that this will just be a simple surgery, and all he will find is synovitis. He did say that my kneecap is tilted to the right, so he'll fix that. One of my biggest fears though is that there is a tear that didn't show up on the MRI. I'll feel so much better once this is done tomorrow!!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Arthroscopic surgery tomorrow!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:57:09 PM »
Good Luck Tomorrow!!!

Hope the OS can fix your problem.  Let us know how you're doing.

Lots of HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 08:21:19 PM »
Hi Irvinbl97,
   Just wanted to wish you the best with your surgery tomorrow. 

Hopefully it will take care of the problem.  Keep us posted.

Patty

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 09:25:05 PM »
Best of luck! It sounds like you have a really great OS!

Heather W.
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline irvinbl97

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »
Hi everyone!
Well, I had my surgery Friday morning. The doctor said that he cleaned out A LOT of synovitis/scar tissue. He did a lot of cleaning and a lot of scraping. He gave me percocet for the pain. However, I was sick Friday night and all day yesterday, so he gave me something else to settle my stomach, and so far it has seemed to work. All I have eaten so far is crackers. I am still in a lot of pain. I am a tutor at one of the local elementary schools, and was planning on going back tomorrow, but there is no way. I get the stitches out on Friday. I go to physical therapy Tuesday and Thursday. Just thought I would give everyone an update.

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 06:31:39 PM »
Irvinbl97,

Hi, glad that you are on this side of surgery.  Sorry about all the pain you are having though.  Are you icing and elevating??  That usually helps alot.....I also had percocet and found the pills too strong so I took a half pill - you should ask your OS about this....

Oatmeal is another thing that is easy on the stomach....

Ankle pumps should also help relieve swelling....

Good luck and hope you feel better soon,

Shade

Offline irvinbl97

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 02:48:04 AM »
Shade,
I have been icing and elevating a lot. It does help the pain. I have been taking 1 percocet instead of 2, and that seems to work. I had a baked potato earlier, along with more crackers, and everything seems to be staying down. The swelling isn't too bad. They had the bandage wrapped so tightly around it, though, that above my knee was swollen. I had my mom loosen it, and it is better. I am also a little sore above the knee, but I'm not sure why...am thinking maybe someone had to hold my leg, and it's just sore from that. Who knows!! I am feeling a little better. I have been up walking around a little more today. My goal for tomorrow is to walk through all the rooms of my house (I have a one-floor ranch), at least a few times. I also need to start to work on bending it. Hopefully all will be better soon!!!

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 01:03:16 PM »
Irvin,

The pain that you describe could be from the tournique that you probably had above your knee, I know that I had one....they can be used in case of excessive bleeding during surgery, I believe.

this one is placed for an acl surgery so the tournique is placed higher......

Glad that you are finding foods that work and you are able to keep down that is great.....

It all just takes time and lots of rest.  Good that you loosened the bandages, that helps.....

Good luck with the walking today.....

Shade

Offline comickie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 04:54:44 PM »
Glad to hear that you are feeling better and your surgery went well for you.  I think that you will find the same thing as I did that with each surgery that you have on the same knee that it can tend to be a bit more sensative each time just from the exploring of the joint area.  Remember to continue to ice and elevate as it is a really good thing to control pain and swelling.  As I am writing this, I am doing that exact thing.  I am siged online from my laptop sitting in my bed with my knee elevated for the pain and swelling.  My OS also strongly recommends using at least one crutch, but prefers that you use two for at least the first week after all arthoscopys as he said that it helps keep scar tissue from forming and that alone can cause more pain and damage if allowed to form.  But each OS has their own opinion and you should follow your dr's orders.  I hope that you continue to do well and keep us posted.  You are thought of each day! ;D 
Good Luck,,,,,
Mickey

Offline irvinbl97

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 05:40:43 PM »
Well, I went back to school today. Luckily, I was able to stay on the first floor for most of the day (with the exception of having to go upstairs to the kindergarten room). I am thinking that I should have only gone back for 1/2 a day, because by lunch, I was so exhausted, and in a LOT of pain. The past couple nights I have not been sleeping good. The first few nights, I slept great! I have physical therapy later this afternoon. I just can't believe that I thought I would bounce right back after this surgery. I just have to remember to be patient!!
Thanks for all of your support and advice. I will continue to keep you updated (especially after I get home from therapy tonight).
Bridget

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 09:46:02 PM »
Hi Bridget...
Glad to hear that your first day was halfway decent. Do you work a full day tomorrow? How did PT go?

HW
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline irvinbl97

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 12:47:49 AM »
Hi everyone!
Well, physical therapy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can't bend the knee very far, but that's to be expected. The therapist was very impressed with how far I can straighten it. He did tell me that for someone my age, I should not be having any problems bending it...but since this was #4 on this knee, he can completely understand why I am having problems. He gave me 5-6 exercises to do. I'm still in a lot of pain, but he said that is to be expected.
I am planning on going to school for the rest of the week. I am there all day, but luckily, I am able to sit down for most of the day, so that helps!
I will continue to keep you updated. Again, thanks for all the support!!
Bridget  :-)

Offline irvinbl97

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 03:36:09 PM »
Here is another update on how things are going. I go for my 2nd and last physical therapy tonight. I am still in a LOT of pain. Whenever I have my knee unwrapped, and am walking around, it feels like my knee could give out at any time. Is that normal?? I didn't think I would still be in so much pain. I get the stitches out tomorrow morning, so I am really hoping that after that, it will feel much better. I am having problems sleeping at night, because I just can't get comfortable. I just can't believe how much pain I still have. 1 of my incisions looks great, but the other 2 don't look so great. There is quite a bit of swelling around these 2 areas. I guess I just worry a lot. I'll continue to keep you posted, especially after the stitches come out.
Bridget

shadehawk

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 04:13:36 PM »
Bridget,

Hi there.  For my incisions I was told to use Hydrogen Peroxide and a Q-tip swab and just dab over the scope incision area and that would help keep them clean.

Keep icing and elevating and your swelling will eventually go down....Takes time to heal.

Keep wrapping your leg or wear a patella knee sleeve - they also help. 

Good luck,

Shade 

shadehawk

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 04:20:39 PM »
Bridget,

Here are a couple of knee sleeve that might help you....

I wear this last type, but the top one has much more padding and protection....I do all my exercises and outside walking with a patella knee sleeve on....doctor's orders.

Shade

support