Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: figure skater not reasy to retire yet...help casue arthro didn't!!!  (Read 1020 times)

Offline icecatepairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ok, I'm not sure where to post but i will start here hoping someone can direct me...I just had  scope on my landing Knee (i  am a figure skater) .  I watched the procedure.  All the frayed cart.  was smoother out and an old miniscus tear was cleared out.  aside from some post op swelling (had to be drained) all was well.  i have almost full range of motion and strength 10 days later.  my surgeon tol me to go back on the ice and stroke around no jumps or push offs on that kee.  after the first day all was well.  second day the pain i felt pre surgery was back.  it is right on or under the patella.  when he was in there with the scope he found a small crack in the cartlidge, but hoped it was mildly contribting to the pain. I  have read about these plugs...is that a treatment option...anybody have any advice....help...I'm not ready to retire yet.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
Re: figure skater not reasy to retire yet...help casue arthro didn't!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 05:05:51 AM »
The plug you're referring to is called a HemiCAP.

From the Official Website;http://www.arthrosurface.com/products.asp

Arthrosurface HemiCAP

The Arthrosurface HemiCAPô system is a surgical method for the treatment of localized cartilage lesions and defects in the major joints. This system is comprised of three elements; a three-dimensional mapping technology, a set of instruments to map and prepare the damaged area and a cobalt-chrome and titanium implant. The CAPô system precisely aligns the surface of the implant to the contours of the patient's articular cartilage surface, thus filling the defect and restoring a smooth and continuous articular surface. The CAPô system has been developed so that it can be utilized via minimal access surgical techniques.

The HemiCAPô Instrument Set enables the surgeon to accurately place the implant and precisely map the curves of the articular surface, in real-time, under direct or arthroscopic visualization, with no angle-induced errors or magnification errors that might exist with MRI, or X-ray imaging techniques.

The HemiCAPô system is intended to provide an effective interim means for managing pain and disability in the middle-aged patient until a total joint replacement treatment option becomes more necessary, and is part of a clinical treatment strategy to help avoid early-age-revision scenarios. The prosthetic may also provide a treatment option for the older patient who may not tolerate the morbidity of a total joint replacement procedure.

The HemiCAPô implants and instruments are designed to remove a minimal amount of bone stock, preserve functional structures and tissues, and allow for an uncomplicated removal in the event of revision.

Courtesy of Arthrosurface

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 05:08:01 AM by SPK »
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 05:11:45 AM »
And a little bit more on how it actually works

Introduction to the HemiCAP
The Arthrosurface HemiCAPô (Contoured Articular Prosthetic) Resurfacing System is a surgical method for the treatment of localized lesions and defects in the major joints. This system is comprised of three elements; a mapping technique, a set of instruments to prepare the damaged area and place the resurfacing prosthesis, and the HemiCAPô implant. The CAPô system precisely aligns the surface of the implant to the contours of the patient's articular cartilage surface, thus filling the defect and restoring a smooth and continuous articular surface. The CAPô system has been developed so that it can be utilized via minimal access surgical techniques.

One component of the HemiCAPô system is a set of reusable instruments that are used to map and prepare the defect sites for receipt of the implant. The HemiCAPô implants come in a variety of sizes and curvature profiles designed for the different surface anatomies. Arthrosurface continues to design products and development marketing strategies to address other painful joints of the body.

Description

The HemiCAPô implant is a rounded, cap-like implant made from a cobalt chrome alloy with a central post on the implanted, or bone side. Cobalt chrome is a material that has been used in total joint reconstruction devices for over two decades. This material has proven to provide a safe, effective and strong weight-bearing surface in joints. This metal alloy exhibits lubricious qualities very similar to articular cartilage when implanted in a joint. The fixation component that looks like a screw is made of Titanium, another material that has been used in Orthopedics for decades.

The HemiCAPô surgical procedure begins the same way as all arthroscopic procedures. Two or more small access incisions are made in order to access the joint. One of the access holes is used to insert the arthroscope which is like a small telescope. This is inserted into a cannula or tube which is used to protect the arthroscope and also allow for a saline fluid to flow into the joint. The second hole or portal is used to introduce different instruments during the operation. When an articular defect is confirmed, the central axis in the middle of the defect is located and a component that looks like a screw is implanted to establish the mechanism for anchoring the resurfacing implant. Using this first component as a central axis, several specially designed instruments are introduced to map the contours of the patient's articular cartilage surrounding the defect and to prepare the tissue in and around the defect itself for the resurfacing implant. Once the site is prepared, the HemiCAPô resurfacing implant is brought into position and seated.

Hip

Knee

Courtesy of Arthrosurface

Good luck. I hope that's what you were looking for.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline icecatepairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:16:54 AM »
Thanks for all the info...iI am printing it out now.  I guess my main suestion is is this  a procedure that could be used for a crack in the cart.?   and what is the aftermath.   would it destroy my  abil;ity to skate at a high level.   I was just reading a post by  a skate boarder loosing his sponsers and his mind.  the problem is judging  if a procedure is going to work  for an athlete as oppsed to every day life.  I am in the new york area, so i guess  i have acess to the best dr.s   I'm just not sure how to find the ones that are up on the latest procedures.  I am new to this site.  is there a search for that based on the members knowledge and not just who pays to advertise.  also..what do you now about synthetic cart. injections?  Thanks for all your help.