Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Do I really need to quit my life?  (Read 902 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Do I really need to quit my life?
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:17:50 PM »
I have some mal-alignment problems and chondrowhatever... and some doctors have said I'm going to have to stop everything I love doing (ice skating, tennis, soccer, running, rollerblading, anything active). Somebody please tell me all this PT I'm going through won't be for nothing and I'll be able to do everything I used to do again. I mean, I'm young (20) and always active. I can never sit still. If I don't get around to doing something that day, I take the stairs just because I like to feel my muscles working.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

shadehawk

Re: Do I really need to quit my life?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:34:04 PM »
Hi,

Know what you are saying.....

Chondromalacia is softening of the cartilage.  Physio (PT) does help get things strengthened up and hopefully moving properly again.....time will tell.

You really have to give everything up for a period of time and get everything settled down again.  Sometimes we have to give up stuff for a short duration or completely - it all depends on how much damage is found.

Before my knee problems I was a very active person also and it is very hard to slow down, but you must do so before you do more damage to your knees.

Good luck,

Shade

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:44:16 PM »
It might be necessary to give up your very active life, perhaps not. PT can help, so can things like bracing and taping. Many on this forum have similiar challenges, but recover and go back to hockey, running, whatever. I decided to start hiking and backpacking *after* I developed malalignment problems (and got them repaired). I *am* having more knee problems now, but they are possibly more related to my being middle aged than anything - and even with what I've got going on now, my OS expects me to be able to get back to serious hiking (we have some big mountains in Washington State!) after I'm recovered.

If you aren't comfortable with what your doc and/or PT is telling you, get another opinion! It's YOUR knee, your life. You want to be realistic about this and take care of yourself, but there is no reason to prematurely "give in" to a few knee problems!
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:37:34 AM »
I just came back from my first PT session, and I am in so much pain right now. My PT did a full evaluation, and we did some exercises also. Straight leg  lifts and the like. But when doing the evaluation, he found it weird that my knee was hurting in places it shouldn't be hurting. Like when he pulled on the bottom of my leg with my knee bent, it hurt at the back of my knee, which he said shouldn't happen with subluxation. I also had a problem with just lifting my leg up and bent without any support. He seemed really surprised that that was the hardest exercise for me, since for most people it's the easiest. I didn't have much of a problem with doing the leg lifts as much as I did with just bending my knee while I'm standing. So he said we'll also work on my hamstrings, but he was at a loss to explain why my doctor's diagnosis didn't match up with the pain i'm having. So I think I might have to visit another OS. Stupid doctor's who don't do full evaluations. The good part though was that my PT was really cute. Actually, most of the ones working there are. Not such a bad thing I suppose.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 02:46:20 AM »
Soozles,

I am so sorry to hear that you were given news like this. It may be necessary for you to stop doing things while you begin your recovery, just to give your knees time to calm down. My philosophy about giving up activities forever though is probably not the best. I just feel that if you are young (I'm 24, so I can relate) there is no reason to stop living your life. I had surgery about 5 weeks ago and have had to stop doing the things I love...working out, playing tennis, taking walks...and I accept this as a temporary stop. My PT has already told me that he doesn't think I should return to Curves and that tennis is not the best sport for my knees. But what am I going to do? Sit at home? I am in good shape because of the activities I do, and if I stop them, than I might not have knee pain but what kind of quality of life will I have? And who is to say that the pain won't come back even if I do stop those things?

I guess my ultimate point in this rant is to stop your activities while you begin to heal. When you can do normal activities with minimal pain, start reintroducing the activities that you enjoyed before. But do it gradually. I am not a doctor or a PT or anything like that at all, and I am sure there are many who do not agree with me. But I also feel that you have to live life in order to enjoy life. If you get to a point where you have done EVERYTHING they have told you and your pain is minimal, I say go for it...(slowly!) :)

Heather W.
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

support