Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ?Durolane injection  (Read 40244 times)

Offline skilegs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
?Durolane injection
« on: September 20, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »
My OS has just told me in no uncertain words that I have osteo-arthritis in my knee and the next step is TKR.    This is something I want to put off as long as possible and he has suggested an injection of Durolane.   Has anyone had this one-off injection and if so what were the results?    It is very expensive here in UK so need to check that insurance will cover this.   Am really hacked off as this all happened as a result of a partial menisectomy 3 months ago.   Am a very fit, if ageing, ski instructor who works out regularly.

Offline rmbraun123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ?Durolane injection
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:31:51 PM »
Did you have any success? I am in the US. My wife is a skier. We are well past our 60's but skiing is still our hobby. Durolane is not approved by the FDA as far as I know. Is anyone able/willing to make a suggestioon?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
If you're to a point where you need a TKR then the injections are not going to help. I wouldn't bother with them.

I can assure you that you didn't develop arthritis that bad in the last three months. It wasn't caused by the partial menisectomy. It takes years to progress that far. It's quite possible that the torn meniscus was the cause depending on how long it was there. Being fit doesn't keep one from getting arthritis, sometimes it's the cause if whatever exercise you're doing is pounding your knees. Aging doesn't help either.

If you only have one bad compartment in your knee look into a partial knee replacement instead.

Offline rmbraun123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 09:44:43 PM »
jathib

Many thanks for your prompt response. My wife (not me as you seem to have erroneously gathered from my first posting) had no menisectomy. We are also aware that, as you say, her condition did not develop in the last three months and that age does not help.

Since you appear quite knowledgeable and, with 1385 postings, you definitely are a very active contributor to this board, would you be willing to give an opinion under these ammended circumstances?

I am hopeful that you may be able to help because your tone is so resolute that you may even be a professional in this direction. Are you a doctor by any chance? Or may be you are related to this profession in some other way? It may help to know.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »
I had a TKR last year.   Keeping your natural knee as long as you can is important.  If a supplement can provide you relief you will never know by someone elses experience with it.   I have been getting the injections into my left knee .. my natural knee for over a year now.  The injections help.  Personally I think it is reckless for someone to tell people they do not work.  We are not doctors. We have not seen your x-rays and we do not know anything other that you have knee pain and your doctor thinks it is worth a try before having any type of operation that will limit how much sports you can take on.

In my right knee I had viscosupplement injections and they did take away a bit of the incredible pain upon weight bearing but not enough to stop my whole being from being miserable and lack mobility.

In my left knee they seem to last 6 to eight months  and I get a cortizone shot when I need it.

Perhaps if the injections do not work you can ask your SO about Maci or Oats or HTO or a TTT.

A TKR is the surgery of last resort.  When your very imobile and your quality of life is down the crapper.   

My OS said after my partial meniscis removal that it takes at least 6 months to see how good you are going to get. 

So my experience with the injections are positive even though I knew they would be a bandaid procedure before I had my TKR.   I also tried an unloader brace.. Which didnt work for me.  but it may work for other people.  I would encourage anyone to try an unloader brace or ask their OS about one as well  along with anything that may help before you go down the path of being in constant pain and believe me that pain works on you..    If durolane is too expensive ask about  Supartz or the other types of visosupplements ..     While my right knee was toast I didnt close myself off to these types injections when offered to help the pain with my left knee.   With my left knee they give  me what I need.

If you try it once and give it a few weeks you will see if ..  if not you know you tried before opening up your knee for a major operation.

Having a TKR is a serious operation.. being able to walk is priceless.

Offline rmbraun123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
Plumb: Thank you very much. Appreciate your help. Hope you get some relief

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »

Many thanks for your prompt response. My wife (not me as you seem to have erroneously gathered from my first posting) had no menisectomy. We are also aware that, as you say, her condition did not develop in the last three months and that age does not help.

Since you appear quite knowledgeable and, with 1385 postings, you definitely are a very active contributor to this board, would you be willing to give an opinion under these ammended circumstances?

I am hopeful that you may be able to help because your tone is so resolute that you may even be a professional in this direction. Are you a doctor by any chance? Or may be you are related to this profession in some other way? It may help to know.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Actually, I was replying to the first post.

Anyway, no, I'm not in the medical profession but after 22 surgeries and another one sheduled in a few weeks I've learned a few things. I do have quite a few friends and family members in the medical profession and I work at a university with a physical therapy doctorate program so I have access to lots of information and very knowledgeable people. I would be in the medical profession had I listened to my mother as it is a great interest of mine. Mothers know these things. Too bad it takes us so long to figure that out.

Anyway, I've read lots of studies and have the opinions of several doctors in regards to the injections like Durolane, Synvisc, etc. My own doctor won't do them due to poor results. Most studies show that less than 50% of people get any relief and that is only people that are not in the advanced stages of arthritis. I tried Synvisc on the advice of my previous OS and it was worthless. However, as someone else pointed out, you won't know until you try and there's not a lot of risk (except to your wallet) in trying the shots.

It's pretty difficult to find yourself slowing down due to pain as you age. I'm only 50 and my many injuries have taken a toll. I've given up several things but have found other things to take their place. Swimming is my main sport and I still get out on my bike when I can. I truly believe that biking prolonged the life of my knee. My original injury happened at age 15 and I got as far as 48 before needing a PKR. At 15 months post-op my knee hurts less than the rest of my joints. I recently went on a trip and walked about 15-20 miles during the course of four days. I was worried about my knee holding up but was very pleased to come home with a painless knee.

Some people will tell you to wait as long as possible to have a TKR. I'm not in complete agreement with that. I've read some articles by orthopedic surgeons that advise against that. The worse your knee is when you have a TKR the the worse the results. It makes sense that it would be harder to attach artificial joints to a knee that is totally trashed. There's a happy medium in there. You do want to hold off as long as possible but I don't think it's a good idea to wait until you're in a wheelchair and unable to walk at all. Age 60 seems to be some kind of magic age for some doctors to do a TKR. It really comes down to a quality of life issue. If you're in constant pain and unable to do your day to day activities then it's time to think about a TKR.

Offline moon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
i have to disagree, the shots are worth the time , i had them  three times, they bought me a lot of extra time, i was in no hurry to be cut on again, i mean who likes surgery right! i was able to put off surgery for 3 years, i was in no pain, it was wonderful, i was able to continue my life as a normal person, we live on 5 acres, we do all the yard work, i love it, i did it all, on my knees in the flower gardens, i love the soil! so listen to yur dr. as i always say, that is why they get the big buck, thats why we are her looking for answers, cause we didnt go to the big school. follow your dr, and your heart, it was a wonderful thing for me and my family to put  off surgery as long as possible, moon
bilateral-uni,s  4/14/08

Offline Milnes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
My experience with Durlolane.  I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees causing pain and stiffness often all night.  Having tried all kinds of remedies over the years I decided to try Durolane especially as I was going on holiday to Galapagos and Peru which involved a lot of walking and steep steps. On the 28/04/09 I had Durolane injections in both knees, in my right knee the pain and stiffness disappeared.  My left knee was pain free on the first night but in the morning the pain slowly returned, a week later when I flew to Ecquador  and then Galapagos I was limping and had difficulty with steps due to pain in my left knee.  I saw a doctor in Galapagos who prescribed anti-inflamatory pills and gel.  Within 2 days my left knee was better and I was able to complete all the walks and climbs including the arduous terrain of Machu Picchu.  1st July 09 I continue to take anti-inflamatory pills twice per day when I remember.  I cannot be sure whether its the durolane or the anti-inflamatory that has caused the pain to go.  I play tennis (doubles) for 2 hours twice per week and am 75 years old. 1st Oct 09 no knee pain and I often forget to take anti-inflamatory, so the Durolane must have done the trick.  Will let you know when knee pain returns. 

Mr M, Boston, Lincs, England             

Offline JeffP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »
Fair response Milnes- thank you. I'm 46, still play soccer a few days a week. Had surgery 4 weeks ago. My ACL is gone, had menisc. shaved and I also have some arthritis. (having other knee scoped in Jan.) I have the durolane and will be getting my surgeon to inject me in the next few days. I will update everyone on the results. (I'll allow a few weeks for effect).  :)  I'm going to continue to play with an  ACL custom brace- against advice. There is no sport "substitute" for me- unfortunately, I love the game too much and am not ready to retire. Friday night lights or breathing heavily the crisp Sunday morning air. Absolutely no substitute for me. 2 surgeons have told me 10-15 years then......probably knee replacement. I have accepted this sacrifice. I refuse to worry about the pain although...stairs are a real bitch for a few days after the game-maybe this will change with the surgery and durolane??
Best,
Jeff

Offline aem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »
Hi Jeff,  I'm a new visitor to this site.  I'm 47 years old and a long-time soccer player.  Like you, I haven't found a sport-substitute that can replace it.  I suffered an MCL sprain last fall and it seems to have triggered OA in my left knee.  It swells quite badly each time I play; you're right, stairs are my worst enemy!  I'm curious to know if the Durolane has helped with your knee.  My doctor has suggested trying both that and a brace to keep me playing as long as possible.  Could you let me know what your experience has been like?
Thanks,
Anne

Offline Affliction79

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »
I have found some minor benefit from durolane, but prefer ozone injections. Actually, I have hyaluronic acid, b12, procaine, and ozone done at the same time. Helps much better than when I was having durolane by itself once every 6 months. I get prolozone therapy once per month right now. Look into that kind of treatment.

Offline ashok_guru

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
Prolozone didnot help me at all. For almost a year I tried this ozone,+B12...Initially tried this injection every 15 days and after that every month but later realized I was just wasting money on prolozone and stopped it.
2009 - Partial Meniscetomy
2010 - Cartilage Debridement
2010 - 2011 - Prolotherapy, PRP, Bone Marrow Prolotherapy, Prolozone
2011 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD and Regenexx-SCP
2012 - HGH Injections
2013 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD, Regenexx-AD and Regenexx-SCP

Offline Affliction79

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »
Ashok,
Are you trying out irentat's protocol or something else now? How are you making out with your recovery? For now, the prolozone helps with the pain, and I'm gearing up to start a protocol similar to irentats.

support